“Authentic Italian cuisine for the romantic night out”
Review of Vino's Ristorante

Vino's Ristorante
Ranked #28 of 433 Restaurants in Cedar Rapids
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: R.G. Books is a Wine and Martini Bar that is connected to Vino's Ristorante. Both areas serve the same menus in a nice comfortable seating
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I highly suggest this restaurant for someone planning a special night out with their significant other. My husband actually proposed to me here on December 10th, 2011 with a mini cake that our waiter brought out on a cheese cake platter. After, of course, I said yes the restaurant brought out a bottle of champagne for us to enjoy. It was very romantic and unexpected. As for our meal it was top notch. We started our course with their bruschetta and ended it with their Seafood Portifino. Absoluetly amazing dishes and highly recommend if you love seafood like we do. We haven't gone back the restaurant part but we do visit the lounge on a monthly basis for a few appetizers and cocktails and we very much enjoy it. Very quiet atmosphere with class. If your just looking for a place after work for a cocktail or start the date night out I recommend coming here. You can either sit at the bar or booths that surround you with books. I myself love to read so this lounge is right up my alley. As for appetizers to get we highly recommend their: Seafood Stuffed Mushrooms, Vino's Bruschetta, Baked Mozzarella, Sambuca Steamed Mussel or Fried Calamari. I'm sure others are just as good but these are the only ones we have had that we love. Keep in mind this place is small so if you are coming to dine call ahead and make a reservation or else you will be waiting quit a long time to be seated.

2  Thank Dragonfly0908

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We were there for my sons birthday. Had a great meal and we all had leftovers. It is a little pricey but I love the quaint surroundings. There bar area is wonderful also to sit and chat a bit. Off the beaten path but worth finding.

1  Thank dkuempel
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Love Italian food? Real Italian food? Vino's is it. I've been to Italy, so ok, this isn't Italy. But it sure is more authentic food than Biaggi's or Olive Garden. I'm guessing locals in Iowa like the quantity of food served for half the price at Olive Garden. Too bad. Vino's is more authentic.

Here's an example. Their calamari. Unlike most restaurants where you think you're chewing on rubber bands, Vino's was delicate and delicious. That means it's fresh.

I had their mediterranean pasta. Delicious. Another companion had their fresh scallops - cooked to buttery perfection.

Our wait service was wonderful. The ambiance is delightful - very cosy.

I think it's probably a bit pricey for most folks in Cedar Rapids. They're used to large proportions at a small price. But give this place a try. It's a gem.

1  Thank islandmarsh
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Lifelong CR resident here and I had never even heard of this place. Food was good but overpriced. Our server was efficient but not very friendly.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I ate here years ago but were disappointed in the presentation of their dishes and laissez fare service attitude that we hadn't returned. We've been trying new restaurants lately as several have opened since the flood so we decided on a whim to go back to Vino's. The restaurant decor and layout hasn't changed since our last visit. The outside is nondescript and doesn't appear even to be a restaurant as you enter thru the parking lot to a facade of library books. The door to the left goes to RG Books, which is the lounge attached to the restaurant. The restaurant door is to the right. We arrived before 6PM and the Host greeted us immediately asking if we had reservations. We didn't and were seated us towards the back as he stated the tables would start filling up around 6PM. The lighting is subdued with art work on the walls, white linen covered tables and servers dressed in all black. A nice place to go for a romantic and quiet dinner as the tables are well spaced that conversation is not strained. A small basket of garlic bread was served shortly after our drinks arrived. Based on our 'hit and miss' luck with calamari, we decided to try Vino's rendition and were glad we did. A decent portion size that was tender, not overly-breaded and fried just right, served with a tasty marinara. We concluded this was the best calamari we've had in a long time and was an excellent value. We both had salads prior to our entrees. My wife ordered a caesar which she commented was good but not a traditional caesar as we've come to know as it had varied greens along with mushrooms. Mine was a house salad but with black olives, chopped tomatoes, mixed greens and ample dressing. My wife ordered the flat-bread pizza, which is an appetizer. It's a relatively small portion size, hence, appetizer. The were 4 semi-large pieces and appearance wise, was very colorful. Plenty of mozzarella, onion, prosciutto, etc. She & I found it chewy and a little difficult to bite and ended up more tearing it apart to eat. It had a nice flavor although the prosciutto was tough and added to the difficulty in eating. I ordered lasagna and was astounded at the portion size served. Large enough for 2 people to share and was very tasty. My wife ordered desert although we should have stopped after our entrees as we had plenty to eat and leftovers. However, the desert tray was TOO tempting in spite of the unenthusiastic and feeble descriptions provided by our server. We ordered the key-lime pie and were surprised that in fact it was a key-lime cheesecake. It was very refreshing with just the right lime flavor and not too sweet. It was tasty and nicely culminated our dining experience. We'll certainly go back and glad we decided to visit this cozy & relaxing establishment.

1  Thank Thomas P