“Main Restaurant Dining & Bar Experience Lacked; Room & Service Just OK”

Best Western Plus Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
La Crosse, United States
“Main Restaurant Dining & Bar Experience Lacked; Room & Service Just OK”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel room itself was clean. We appreciated the flat screen tv, microwave and refrigerator. The room itself was sufficient; bathroom was very small. The pillows were small and two side-by-side did not span the entire width of the bed. The bed and pillows were terribly soft so both my husband and I woke up with terrible backaches. Pricing was a bit high for this basic queen room. Service was what you would expect, but nothing beyond, though we didn't have any special needs. We rented this room largely based on internet representations. A big part of that was high ratings for the on-site restaurant, as avoiding additional travel to eat was appealing to us. The food was very poor. We were told we could order dinner in any of three locations. We were not told that salad bar was only available at one location and at the most remote location, where we originally went to dine, the food was brought from the kitchen located some distance away. So we went back to the main dining area. There were customers at only one other table. The server was pleasant and took our order. She told us one of the sides was steamed vegetables. I asked her to check if they were fresh or frozen (she didn't know). After her inquiry, she told me they were frozen (which means it is highly unlikely they would be "steamed" at all), so I orderd the baked potato. We went to the salad bar and had barely started on our salad plates when our entire dinner was served. Based on the time between submitting and receiving our order, there is absolutely no way the food was prepared fresh. It was clear that everything from the entrée to the sides had been prepared in advance (who knows how long) and heated in a microwave. Prime rib was advertised to have a horseradish sauce that wasn't present. The beef brisket appeared to be a purchased frozen beef sandwich meet served in a pile. For the pricing structure, we expected cook-to-order and were very disappointed. Because the food was served before we barely had a chance to touch our salad plates, we were eating the dinner and salad simultaneously, resulting in our entrees getting cold. Then to cap off our dining experience, the server (who by then had only our table to serve yet had at least another 90 minutes left of posted restaurant hours) comes while we are still eating our salad and entrée to ask if we want to have dessert and then provides our bill for payment. She then proceeded into an alcove I presume leads to the kitchen where she spent the rest of our meal engrossed in conversation with another server and the cook. Clearly her objective was getting done with us so she could socialize. The pace of our meal was rushed and not satisfactory. She never returned to our table to check again on beverages or satisfaction with the meal. We were very unimpressed. We also were led to believe from online descriptions of the hotel that there was karaoke, when instead there was a rather subdued jazz band performing from 7-11 in the main bar and insisting that all other "distractions" like bar signs, juke box and televisions be turned off. Drinks were overpriced and except for the bloody mary and bottled beverages, they were small and not very well mixed. The night manager was a lot of fun, but the bar ambience was too geriatric for our taste. There were no happy hour options or drink specials. Overall it was not an inviting enough experience to make us feel like there is reason to return again. We expected much more based on review of other ratings for this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kathy L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Kris, I would like to apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. It is our mission to provide exceptional and personalized service to every guest. It is very hard to find beds that fit every guests firmness preference. We have Simmons Plush Top mattresses and they have been very well received by our guests. They are a medium firmness so if you prefer a soft mattress I understand your comments. We also place four pillows on each bed and have extras upon request. As you have read our reviews, I hope you understand the service you received in the restaurant is not normal for us. I have sent your concerns to the owner, chef and restaurant manager so they can determine where the lax in service and food quality happened and correct the issues. I appreciate your bringing this to my attention, guest comments and concerns help us to improve our operations to better serve our guests. As I stated in the Best Western survey you completed, please contact me if you are in the area again. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Minnesota
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The rooms are in the most part ok. However, when we checked in, they said that what we had booked was unavailable, so they up graded us to a suite. IN THE BASEMENT! Huh? It had that dungeon look and feel. I wouldn't put my cat in there! After complaining, we got a room on th
He main floor. It was acceptable. It re enforced my opinion of Best Western. A last resort hotel. I won't be back to any BW again!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basement!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathy L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest, I apologize again the room you were upgraded to did not meet your expectations. As I had mentioned in earlier correspondence, a guest was due to check out of their king room and due to an emergency were unable to leave the hotel. As the rest of the king rooms were already occupied, you were upgraded to a king hot tub suite, it is in the lower level of the hotel but it is a quiet area. This three room suite has been recently remodeled. The bathroom is tiled with a granite top vanity, dual rain showerheads, shower seat and mobility accessible. The hot tub room has been upgraded with intricate tile work around the state of the art hot tub and a 42" flat panel television. The bedroom has a king bed with a plush top mattress, 42" flat panel television, refrigerator, microwave and a table and chairs. I apologize again that you were disappointed with the upgraded room. This room is one of our most requested upgrades by our valued Best Western Rewards members so it was a surprise when I received your comments and concerns. Each and every guest experience is important to us, I am sorry we failed to provide this for you.
Des Moines, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had a great stay! Staff was helpful, room was very nice, the free breakfast was very nice, and it was so nice to have the conference rooms available at the hotel! Great location as the mall is close by (helpful when I realized I left my hanging clothes at home!) and there are lots of choices nearby to eat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kathy L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Pam, Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you were able to experience some of what our hotel has to offer. We do have 13 meeting and banquet rooms available as well as AV equipment and internally supported internet. The on site Longbranch Restaurant and complimentary hot breakfast make our location convenient for off site conferences. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.
Fayetteville, Georgia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a nice hotel at an attractive price with an excellent points system. They meet the standard requirements of the business traveller - free internet service, free breakfast, an exercise room, and pool, and a business center in case you need to print something.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Kathy L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Felix, Everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. Best Western has an exceptional Rewards program for their guests, thank you for being a valued member. The hotel has everything a business traveler needs, complimentary hot breakfast, free internet, free parking and free access to our 8,000 sq. ft. fitness club. I'm glad our services and amenities met your needs. I look forward to your return.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Hotel is clean & staff if friendly. Breakfast is a little tricky to find. You have to go down a walkway on the 4th floor to the atrium. They have an indoor pool & gym along with a pool table & foosball table in the atrium. Lots of stuff within walking distance. Shops & restaurants. The bar has good & inexpensive drinks.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank FlyGirl129
Dear FlyGirl, I appreciate you sharing your experience with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Our breakfast cafe is located in the pool view building which is across a covered skywalk, if you are not staying in the pool view wing. The many choices on the complimentary hot breakfast buffet make it worth the short walk. The hotel is nicely located near shopping, restaurants and theaters. I'm glad you were able to visit our award winning Longbranch Restaurant and Lounge. Thank you again and have a nice day.
phoenix, United States
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Hotel was close to mall, stores and restaurants. lots of walking to go to breakfast, Breakfast was very good, can purchase a breakfast for $2 off also. Bed was uncomfortable for me, was to soft. But everythig else was really great.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Helen, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a very nice complimentary hot breakfast but some of our guests still prefer to order from the menu so we offer a discount off the menu prices. Either way the guest leaves happy! Our hotel is located within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and theaters which is nice for those with extra time. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Have a great day!
Burlington, Iowa
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

From the moment of checking in, I was not impressed. I carry in my luggage to find out I have to drive to another building. My room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The lounge in my building was okay. The second night I walked through the skywalk to the other lounge. The smell was over powering!!! They had karaoke in the lounge. OMG, the absolute worse I have ever heard. Apparently this group of locals think they have talent? It drove me out of the lounge!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Kathy L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Kenton, Thank you for posting your comments and concerns on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is important to us as we strive to meet all guest expectations. We do have a unique layout and if your reservation is for a pool view room it is more convenient to drive to that building, much like having to drive to the opposite side if a hotel has multiple entry doors. We do have entertainment in Kitty's lounge on certain nights and the DJ will let customers sing karaoke if they request to. I understand your comments regarding the karaoke but we are unable to ask guests to not participate. We do offer the option of the pool side lounge where it is quieter. Thank you again for your comments, guest feedback will help us continue to provide an elevated level of service to you and all our guests. Have a wonderful day.