“Need new mattresses!”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here just overnight to go to a birthday party. Didn't need to spend too much time in the hotel. Just to sleep. Unfortunately, that was the worst part. The room was nice. Very clean. Check-in & out was easy & fast.They are revamping the outside with new siding. Need to spend a little money on new mattresses. There were 3 of us in our party & none of us got much sleep on these beds.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

I wanted to let you know that we are aware that our mattresses need to be replaced. We started the remodeling with painting the public areas and are now painting the guest rooms. We are installing brand new lamps. In about a month to a month and a half will be be getting new mattresses and brand new linen for all our rooms. We just went 100% smoke free and we are working on installing new siding and having our parking lot repaired. We are working hard to provide our guests with a better AmericInn. It is great to hear that are rooms are nice and clean and that you enjoyed the quick check in and check service. We look forward to you coming back to stay with us in the future and enjoy how we have refreshed our hotel for our guests. Amanda Minnaert General Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I called the hotel to see if they had availability. The gentleman answered the phone was below average for customer service. Stated the rate for the park and fly package and never really asked me if I wanted a room or not. However, I thought I would book my stay for the park and fly package. When I went in to check in the gentleman was not at the desk so clicked on the button to get his attention at the front desk. During the check in process, since he did not offer anything about the property, or inform us of what the hotel offered I asked about breakfast. He stated they had a hot breakfast, however, if I am leaving early there would be cereal available for us. Wow for the price you pay, you only get cereal in the morning when in fact they could have put the waffle batter in the machine and heated up the waffle griddle in no time???? I understand about the other hot items, however, the waffle machine does not take much to start up. That morning when we went to the breakfast and we had to ask for milk for our cereal. The girl at the desk was like rolling her eyes as if we were bothering her. She did not smile or greet us. I asked about the hard boiled eggs and she said I guess I can unlock the refrigerator. Once she unlocked for us to get the eggs, she went back and locked it up again. Really, how crazy is that. There definitely needs to be improvement in customer service at this hotel. I have stayed here a few years ago and the service has gone down tremendously. The rooms are somewhat outdated as well. They need to be refreshed with paint touch up and new linens. The beds are terrible and need to be upgraded. I would think twice before staying here again. The price is high if you are not getting the opportunity to have a decent breakfast along with the poor customer service being offered at the hotel.

Room Tip: They do have an elevator
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathe S
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

First I want to start with an apologize. I do not train my staff to treat guests in that manner. The gentleman that you spoke to should have asked you if you wished to set up a reservation. Also during the check in process the clerks are to be telling you about the property. The hours the pool is available, breakfast hours, that we have wi-fi available, where the elevator is, ice machine etc. Also there is not a problem at all with having some of the breakfast available before 6am as we understand some guests will leave prior to that time. We can have most of it available with the execepttion of the waffles, eggs, bacon and sausage. Normally we can have it out about 5am when a guests asks. Without those items this still leaves many options. The clerk working when you came down should have been friendly and had a can-attitude to assist you. I am truly unhappy that you did not have a great experience here and I can assure you that I will be speaking to my entire front desk staff in regards to this. Customer service is the most important thing you can offer a guest. I hope that you will return to us in the future to provide you another chance to show you are great customer service. Amanda Minnaert General Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2013

when we checked in we were greeted by a wonderful young man. Asked for extra pillows and brought them to us in five minutes. He is so polite. I hope he is still there next year because I enjoyed the stay so much that I'm coming back. Loved the hot breakfast, bacon and eggs are my kind of breakfast. the room was very fresh, clean and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was a cheap place to stay with indications at every turn. Only one staff person to check in a steady stream late afternoon. She tried hard, but it was obviously overwhelming. Had to go to the counter twice later on to request additional pillows as the ones on the bed are super-thin. Couldn't find anybody after ringing the bell several times, came back later and learned they didn't have any extra pillows. She did, however, improvise the best she could and provided a folded blanket. The fault wasn't hers, it is management for understaffing, having poor bedding and not enough.

Room was adequate and matched the cheap price.

Breakfast was a mess with way too many people trying to get through the small space. Big bottleneck was having only one waffle maker. The line was constant and it held up the too few tables that would otherwise clear for additional guests. Simple solution that, again, belongs to management. My wife was put off by the dry cereal dispensers identifying name brands with logos and box fronts (Honey Nut Cheerios) but actually dispensing poor quality generics. But, again, it was a cheap stay and this is what you get.

For the money, it's okay. Not worth paying more than $85 a night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I do sincerely apologize if your stay was not what you expected. We were not very busy and then out of no where we had 2 groups book and unfortunately I was not able to get as much additional staff in to assist as I would have liked. I was here on Saturday helping and had breakfast help on Sunday but more was needed. We will be hiring more staff for times like this. We also have started to remodel the hotel and we will be getting new linens, pillows and beds for our rooms. So you will see a better hotel with the changes that are coming. Our breakfast room gets very full when we are busy and I have ordered an additional waffle iron on Monday for busy times I am just waiting for it to arrive. Once again I do apologize that your stay was not what you expected. With comments from our guests is how we learn to improve and change. So I thank you for your comments. I hope that in the future you will provide us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel was a clean, secure place to stay in Cedar Rapids. The breakfast was the one of the best free hotel breakfasts I've had! This is mainly because they had homemade muffins along with the usual fare. Yum!

The shower drained well, everything looked clean, the shower drained well, and the lobby was pretty. The hotel is located in an uncrowded area of the city.

There was a major area of plaster damage by the a/c, but it didn't affect anything. There is no refrigerator in the room. I would have loved a wastebasket in the bathroom. The internet wasn't working the night we were there, but the desk clerk was pleasant, and the manager later contacted me and gave me a small refund because of the lack of internet.

I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Cedar Rapids AmericInn. We want our guests to feel like they are at home when they are away from home. We are proud of our breakfast selection and it is great that you found what you liked.

I apologize that you were having issues with the internet during your stay. I hope the refund I provided helped. We will be looking into what we can do to make sure our guests do not have issues with the internet.

I do apologize if you room had some drywall repair issues. I can tell you that we will be having the entire hotel repainted very soon, from the common areas to the rooms and repairing the drywall issues in the walls is something that will be done prior to the painting.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future and Welcome to the End of the Day.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed in one of the King Suites on a Thursday night. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was what one would normally expect at any Americinn.

The cost of the hotel was good, making it a good value. We selected the hotel based on reviews here on Tripadvisor which were pretty accurate. The construction of the hotel made the room very quiet, which was nice.

The bed could have used a heavier blanket, the bathroom was clean, parking and location were very convenient .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are going to be updating our bedding package very soon. I hope that when you are in the Cedar Rapids area again you will stay with us again. Welcome to the end of the day.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here one night due to an early flight the next day.The room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean as well. The staff was very helpful and helped us find a great restaurant for dinner. I have stayed in many budget airport hotels around the country and this is one of the best ones.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business