“Very nice and clean, great breakfast and pool area”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Des Moines, Iowa
“Very nice and clean, great breakfast and pool area”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed 2 nights and the free breakfast was great. Staff was very friendly and would definitely stay again. Kids loved the pool and it was nice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 6, 2010

When I travel, I usually stay at an AmericInn. I stayed at the AmericInn with my husband and adult daughter.

I reserved a standard room with 2 queen-sized beds. To accommodate a large group reservation, I got a free upgrade to a suite room (couch in one room, king-sized bed and whirlpool bath in another room).

The hotel itself is very clean and nice, which is what I expect from the AmericInn. The only thing I would change is the location of the computer, which is close to the entrance of the pool - this results in too much traffic by the computer. Also, it would have been nice to have a printer for the computer.

Our room had some problems.

First, we immediately noticed a slightly smoky smell in the room, as if someone had smoked in the room (it wasn't an overwhelming smell, so we did not ask for a new room). The AmericInn is supposed to charge patrons $100 for extra cleaning if someone smokes in the room; this room had not been cleaned of the smoke smell. I eventually did report this to the manager to ensure I would not be charged for that smell.

Since there are 2 TVs in the room, we were expecting 2 remote controls. Instead, there was 1 remote control with the back missing.

The screens in the window had some small holes.

The room was a bit dusty.

One of the dressers had some holes in it, from a lamp or other object that had been screwed into it. I don't expect this kind of cheapness in a suite.

The couch was broken. When I was told I was getting the suite, I asked about a pull-out bed in the couch, and the manager told me there was no pull-out bed with the couch. This confused me, because each suite room is supposed to have a pull-out bed. There was a pull-out bed, but it was obviously broken. Part of the bed was sticking out of the couch, so we just left it alone.

My daughter had trouble sleeping in the "extra" room, because it was close to the lobby, and she could hear all the noise from the lobby.

Despite these minor problems, I will stay at the AmericInn again. It is a clean hotel, and generally a good deal. In the future, I will attempt to book a room that is not near the lobby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank oakdale6884
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We had made a reservations weeks before our trip. We had reserved a room and guaranteed it with a credit card. We check in at 8pm and they were out of rooms! The front desk told us that they always over book by 2 rooms and we happen to be the last one in! It was basically our problem and they were not going to do anything about it. There is a very nice County Inn & Suites next door that luckily had rooms. I wrote a letter to the company and they did nothing about it. Very poor service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank dlsaddler
shislr1, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
As a General Manager and traveler I understand your frustration with my hotel and staff. I have looked into the situation further and found it was a mistake with our Central Reservations Service. I do apologize and would like to see you back at the Cedar Rapid AmericInn. Please next time you're in town in stop in so we can Welcome you and your family to the End of the Day.
West Salem, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Great breakfast, biscuits and gravy and waffle maker. Pool area you'd expect from the Americinn brand.

Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Carroll, IA
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My family all just spent the weekend here as we were in town for my sister's wedding reception. We all had an awesome time and would definitely go back. There isn't much in the neighborhood, but many things within a short 10 minute drive.
First of all, the staff was awesome. This was the first hotel experience where I wanted to tip the staff. Very accomodating, welcoming and friendly, especially Truman and the gentleman that worked the graveyard shift (sorry, but I don't think I caught your name). We were glad the see them again on night #2.
The rooms were all of good size and very clean. The sink was separate from the shower/toilet, but still a wall between that and the beds. This was great for getting ready.
The pool area was a good size, and the hot tub was huge...perfect for our large family. The pool hours were long too compared to other places we have stayed. Kids allowed up until 10pm and then adults only until midnight.
Breakfast, well it has either changed or I have no idea what the other reviews were talking about. Eggs, bacon, waffles, donuts, muffins, bagels, toast, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, string cheese, juice, milk, water, tea, coffee, AND flavoring for the coffee if you wished. It wasn't gourmet, but a HUGE variety. Plenty for everyone.
The only drawback was that their idea of a fitness room was one treadmill and one bike in a small room off the pool. But the equipment was at least new.
Would I stay here again? In a hearbeat! I would highly recommend this hotel if you are ever in Cedar Rapids and don't mind the really short drive.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We stayed here while visiting the University of Iowa because no hotel in Iowa City had any vacancy on a "football weekend," but we ended up feeling lucky for that! The hotel was inexpensive (about $100 at the AAA rate), very quiet, very comfortable, looked new, spotlessly clean in both public areas and our room. Good shower & suppies. The continental breakfast looked good (about average, cereal, coffee, juice, muffins); and is laid in a comfortable area off the lobby; we met friends for breakfast so didn't actually sample. They have some smoking rooms in the hotel, but in our non-smoking area there was no cigarette odor. It's on the southern edge of Cedar Rapids, only about 15-20 minutes from the UI campus, less expensive and nicer than many of the places right in Iowa City. Though there were other guests, it was not at all crowded, and the desk staff were pleasant and welcoming.

• Liked — Proximity to Iowa City/University; price; cleanliness; safety; comfort
  • Disliked — somewhat isolated location (nothing immediately near it except one gas station/convenience mart)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed March 11, 2007

decided to use the park and fly and leave car here and stay on last nite back form vegas. great idea. got in around 8 pm, fastest check in by nicest person. rooms large and very comfortable, has a nice recliner. went down to pool area and sat in hot tub, very nice, came back, ordered happy joes pizza, had a few drinks and called it a nite. was only a little more than keeping the car at airport.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank chappy319