DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cedar Rapids Convention Complex
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Nice!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a college visit to Coe and was thoroughly impressed with the property. It is new, modern, and lovely. Public areas are inviting and open. Room was beautiful with modern furnishings. As always at Hilton properties, the beds are super comfortable with great pillows. The bath was small but efficiently designed and well appointed with nice fixtures and great tile. Staff was friendly and efficient and the cookies are a welcome treat on arrival. I had internet access with my Hilton Honors card but noted that it is otherwise a charge item.
Workout room was reasonably sized and had a good variety of weights, mats, etc. Treadmills and elliptical were available but only three of each.
The hotel is located in downtown Cedar Rapids and is attached to the US Cellular convention center. The area unfortunately has many vacant storefronts and looks like many similar sized Midwestern downtown areas-working on reestablishing it's downtown as a destination and just isn't quite there yet. There are a few small parks along the riverfront which was nice for an evening walk. There are also a few restaurants with outdoor seating, nice for a summer evening, and a wonderful coffee/smoothie/ice cream spot that we enjoyed. But for the most part, this section of downtown is very quiet with not a lot going on midweek.
It is the perfect location to stay for a visit to Coe, which is about a half mile away.
Self parking is a little bit challenging and confusing. Once I located the hotel, I found self parking about 2 blocks away, attached to the hotel/convention center by a skywalk and series of elevators. It wasn't a terribly long walk but it takes you a short distance through the deserted convention center to the hotel. I think I would consider the available valet parking if I stayed again.

Room Tip: Both The Blue Strawberry (downtown) and Brewed Awakenings (just across from Coe) were great little s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DTCedarRapidsManager, Director of Rooms at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cedar Rapids Convention Complex, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and we hope that your visit to Coe went well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Colorado
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was impressed by the state of the art decorations, faucets, room locks, etc. Although the bathroom was small, the room was very comfortable and super nice. However, I tried to use the internet and when I called the front desk they said I needed a code and that they charge if you are not one of the frequent Hilton members. Instead of enjoying the rest of my stay, I had to leave early to go to the airport for internet access. I am appalled that such a state of the art hotel is literally stuck in the 80's by charging for the internet. I travel for business every week and I always stay at the Marriott. At Marriott, a guest simply needs to type in their last name and room # to use the internet for free. I will not be switching to the Hilton ever again as long as they nickle and dime their guests like this!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Julie E
While there is a fee for wifi in your guest room, we do offer complimentary wifi access in multiple locations throughout the hotel.

We hope that you will stay with us again, and give us an opprotunity to better explain those options.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I just came for a wedding but was pleasantly surprised to find that the recommended hotel was well worth the trip. Everything was pristine and the service was excellent. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Hawkeye_Travel
DTCedarRapidsManager, Director of Rooms at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cedar Rapids Convention Complex, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and for the kind words. Looks like you're a Hawkeye fan, if your in town for a game we would to have you back (or anytime your in town).
Cedar Rapids, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had a good overnight stay - the beds were very comfortable and the cookies were great. The shuttle driver was very accomadating also. Didn't have time to visit the retaurant or the fitness area and pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank George&Patty A
Thank you for staying with us, hopefully next time you will get a chance to try or restaurant 350 First, great food and views!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel is right in the center of downtown, excellent location. Completely renovated, and the room is comfortable, spacious, and modern. Everything was clean and everyone was friendly. I would love to stay here again. The only thing that I was not the hugest fan of was that you could hear noise from the street easily since it is a city location. My earplugs did the trick though. It is completely unfair to dock stars from this hotel because of the internet fee - every single DoubleTree across the country has this policy. If you do not want to pay for internet, stay somewhere else. The same is true for their breakfast prices (it was delicious though). Also, the DoubleTree does not control what the standard parking rate is for the city of Cedar Rapids - it has to price its parking competitively with the rest of the city. $20 for valet and $15 for self-parking definitely seems steep for Cedar Rapids, but again, if you don't want to pay that, then you will have to stay at a hotel outside the downtown area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank k86j84
Thank you for staying downtown with us, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We have a way of helping with the internet fee, if you are not currently an Honors member ask the Front Desk when you come back.
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2013

For a hotel it was pretty unremarkable, I thought the staff were extremely friendly. Not very knowledgeable about the area but friendly and helpful. I really don't understand the tub shower concept. I would prefer just showers. Also I had to call the front desk to get my room cleaned on Saturday which to me is amateur hour. All in all pretty average, nice staff, clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DTCedarRapidsManager, Director of Rooms at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cedar Rapids Convention Complex, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for staying downtown with us at our new hotel. I apologize that you had to call to get your room cleaned, that definetly is not our normal process. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Everything about this hotel was exceptional. The hotel was extremely clean, the bed was heavenly, the staff was so polite and helpful and they even give you a cookie! The indoor pool was a nice treat. My husband and I enjoyed our stay and will be back in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for staying downtown with us, and for the kind words. We look forward to having you back soon.