“Great Butcher Shop & Cafe”

Village Meat Market & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 433 Restaurants in Cedar Rapids
Cuisines: Czech
Description: We are 1/2 authentic meat market specializing in smoked meats and Czech sausages. Cold cuts and cheeses also. 1/2 cafe'. We have live Music on Saturday and Sunday Mornings. Everything we s=do here is from scratch. All of our meats are featured in menu items in our cafe' Czech and Cajun influence.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stopped here on the advice of our son who buys meat from here frequently. Really friendly staff with attention to detail. We bought some great corned beef & rye bread (can't remember exact name) and it was phenomenal! Daughter-in-law had a sandwich with two yummy sides which she said was fantastic. Bought our doggie a fresh pig ear.

If I lived in Cedar Rapids, I would be buying speciality meats here frequently. Great selection, friendly service and just an all around welcoming vibe that fits this district of CR perfectly.

1  Thank cheryltasses

Reviewed May 30, 2013

When other plans for our Czech Village-NewBo Market visit fell through due to rising river levels, we went back to Village Meat Market and Café for a late lunch. It was a little unusual to walk in and have a hostess in front of a meat case! We decided to have a Butcher Loaf Sandwich (meatloaf) for hubby and Village Schnitzel (pork medallions breaded and deep fried) for me. My meal was listed on the menu to be on potatoes cakes and smothered with mushroom gravy. Instead, I got hot German-style potato salad and sweet and sour red cabbage and the gravy on the side. NOT a problem for me! But the meat was a little overcooked and a little too crispy, and even though I enjoy the ends and such, most people would consider it overdone. Husband's meatloaf sandwich was moist and filling, according to him. He also had the baked beans, and said a few more would have been okay.

1  Thank J-9inIA
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Great food. Great atmosphere. Great service. The meat market with the cafe is the real deal. A true local favorite.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is a true gem. Fresh food, lovingly prepared, in an eclectic warm, environment. Worth a drive and then you'll wish you lived closer. I know I do. I also bought one andouille sausage to take home, had it with pasta last night, and wish I had more. The tenderloin and pastrami sandwiches we had were some of the best every. We had a chance to talk to Lou, and I look forward to my next visit.