“2nd Time-Not Quite the Charm”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lava - CLOSED

Lava
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“2nd Time-Not Quite the Charm”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We went with friends again for dinner. My wife has been here more than I, mostly for lunch. Our last visit, my first, found the atmosphere, decor and surroundings contemporary & unique. We were seated promptly as before. It seems noisy in the restaurant and I believe it's the high ceilings, cement floor and brickwork that makes conversation challenging. We ordered the bruschetta with goat cheese, dates, etc. It is very tasty and a wonderful way to begin. We ordered 2 orders as there only 3 pieces/order. Increasing it to 4 pieces/order would make sense to more easily share. Those that ordered side-salads(2) with the hot entres were surprised at how large they were. Unfortunately, they were delivered before we were done with our bruschetta appetizers. Before we even partially finished with the side-salads, our entres were delivered, much too quickly. The wives 2 salad entres were left at the table and the hot entres returned to the kitchen to keep warm while we finished our side-salads. I ordered mongolian beef that was average but nothing outstanding. I had ordered Pad Thai previously and that too was very average. The filet ordered looked cooked to order and was decent. We splurged for desert and had the bread pudding which was very good and unusual, with a lemon sauce that finished our meal nicely. The prices are reasonable. The portion sizes decent. The atmosphere very nice albeit difficult when crowded to converse with a very nice bar. However, after being open for some time now, the wait staff still is not up to par on timing, or the kitchen is too efficient in their preparation. There needs to be better coordination to improve the overall dining experience.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Thomas P

Atlanta, Georgia
“Best filet I've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

You can't go wrong with Lava. Every thing on the menu is amazing. Staff is high end. Filet and rib-eye are to die for. If you are in Cedar Rapids, do not miss LAVA. I have no idea why they call it latin-asian fusion. It looks like good old fancy american menu to me.

Visited April 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Mediocre Food. Worst Dining Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our third time here was nightmare, worst dining experience ever. My husband and I came here with my 2 kids (3 y/0 and 1 year old) . We are world travelers. My kids have eaten in different restaurants from McDonalds to Ritz Carlton. But this is the first time we were asked to leave because my son couldn't stop crying. Let me tell you, we brought iPad with lots of kids app and we have iPhone to keep our children behaving. And the Aquarium kept my son occupied for a short time. Unfortunately, my son did not want to eat their fries nor the mac n cheese, he kept on crying. And then our lunch came. We were famished that we just have to take a couple of bites of our lunch. Then a waitress named Kelly, who was not our waitress, came to us if there is something she could do. I said no and thank you. As she can see we were trying to pacify my son iPad, giving him food to no avail. Then again Kelly came to us after a minute that the customers were complaining about the noise. I looked around if people were looking upset that we are disturbing their lunch or growling at us. In my opinion, nobody gave a crap EXCEPT for this waitress. And our appetite was ruined. As a considerate person, even though I only have 2 bites of my Lava chicken and I haven't eaten my chips and my daughter was still eating, I called our waitress to box our food. I talked to our waitress who did not know that Kelly approached us. Our waitress was sweet enough to call for the Manager to talk to us. Unfortunately, the manager can not do anything to pacify the worst dining experience we ever had in our entire existence. This Kelly the waitress was very inappropriate and disrespectful. And you think eating at Lava will give you a better dining experience. Very Disappointing!
LAVA food and menu is mediocre. The Paella is ok and I am being nice. It's like swallowing a moist saffron rice with no flavor. Lava does not have the latin flavor. Unless you call food Latin when you add mango in a chicken wrap. If you are craving Asian food, I highly recommend for you to eat at Panda Express, Siamville, Osaka and Oyama.
If Lava and Cibo have the same owner, I prefer to go to Cibo. But like Cibo, both are overpriced for what is worth. If you like good food with excellent service, go somewhere else. Spend your money elsewhere.
LAVA failed to deliver good food with good service.

• Visited May 2012
“Well Appointed-Varied Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Our first visit to Lava Fusion on a Saturday for dinner. We had reservations fortunately, because we soon discovered, it was Prom Night for a local high school. We were seated promptly and soon found the noise level in the restaurant significant to not be able to hear one another at the table or our server. Although a lively atmosphere, it proved challenging to have enjoyable dinner conversations. Our server was friendly but not overly attentive. Our dinner entrees of: Pad Thai (average); Coconut Curry Chicken (average); encrusted salmon with mashed sweet potatoes(very good). We also had desert which was the orange/lime sherbert. Overall, Lava is a very well decorated and attractive restaurant. It's certainly lively, although this might impede with having an intimate or quiet dinner. Service was average. The menu certainly offers a variety of items to meet anyone's tastes. The prices are reasonable. I'm certain we'll go back to have the chance to take more in and sample more choices. It's certainly the type of restaurant to 'meet' at. Whether the service and consistent quality of the menu items only time will tell. In this critic's humble opinion, I'm willing to give them several more chances before I'm convinced.

• Visited April 2012
Marion, Iowa
“Nice Addition to CR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

After seeing 2 restaurant fail in the same charming location, LAVA was a breath of fresh air. After I saw that the owner was also the same of Cibo's in Marion I had to try it. Cibo's is wonderful too: great soup and gourmet pizzas! To say this quickly, I felt like I was on vacation away from Cedar Rapids; food was very good...I like Asian so ventured one way, while my husband the other. I can't wait to go back! A bit pricier than we intended, but the venue was worth it.

• Visited March 2012