“FALSE ADVERTISING WARNING”

Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“FALSE ADVERTISING WARNING”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

FALSE ADVERTISING WARNING!!! - The pictures of guest rooms on the hotel's website show 2-room suites. However, 2-room suites are not available! So don't be misled - if you want a 2-room suite, go somewhere else. That said, the 1-room suite we ended up with was fine - just not what was advertised and paid for.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Kelly R, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
DaBearsWISC –

I apologize for any miscommunication that we had on our website. I will personally go through our website and make sure that we don’t have any misleading facts, so that this will never happen again.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Hotel is trying to be updated and trendy but after a closer look it's basically unclean & not taken care of. Grout is old and dirty. Tiles missing in the kitchenette. No screens on the window in my room. Cord fell out of the TV when I rotated it. And the lighting....Why is it so dark? So you can't see the dirt? Location is ok if you don't mind the loud hwy sound. Staff, however, was accommodating.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MissAmy4044
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites for 3 days in mid-February 2011. Overall, it's a nice quiet place, but there are some details that could use a fix. I'd stay here again, though.

Pros:
- Complimentary wi-fi Internet
- Complimentary continental breakfast (full range of hot and cold foods, fruits, drinks to choose from)
- Large, open rooms/suites
- Modern decor
- Helpful staff
- Indoor pool and hot tub
- Fitness center (although it only had aerobic equipment such as treadmills, stairclimbers, ellipticals - no weights of any sort)
- Convenient location

Cons:
- My room was warm, so I turned the A/C on - it proceeded to spew small dark chunks of something (mold?) out of the vet and onto the couch and floor nearby. I just didn't use that corner, but if I was staying longer, I would request a different room.
- The mattress was not very good - quite lumpy and I could feel the springs (I'm not a heavy guy, 170#)
- Some worn carpet areas in the room
- No in-room safe
- Some staining in the bathtub (but overall the bathtub was good)
- No toilet-seat lid - makes the potential for something dropping in there rise dramatically
- No flat-screen TV in my room, at least
- Faulty ice machines (only worked on the 1st and 3rd floors)

This hotel is great for a business traveler, with lots to recommend - from a leisure standpoint, I'd want a little more attention paid to details like stain removal and perhaps a few upgrades such as a flat-screen TV. For the price, not bad at all, though, and I'd definitely come back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank JB24003
Oestringen
Reviewed January 27, 2011

On one of my last business trips I book the above hotel as an alternative to my standard in this town.

Entering the room very tired at 1:00 am very tired from a long travel, I was very disappointed by the room. It did not have a wardrobe, but instead, there was a corner in the bathroom to hang clothes open.

During the night I also experienced a strong smell coming from the bathroom. I went to the reception next moring and found out that they asigned me a room for disabled persons, which also explained the wardrobe.

I asked for a room change, baut they were sold out. At least they could fix the strong smell.
Breakfast and night snack was good, staff friendly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Reedley, California
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We arrived at the hotel mid-afternoon. Parking lot was filty with trash, cigarette butts, and needing a good washing. Looks like no one takes pride in the place, The staff was basically lazy!! Employees sitting in the lobby is not a good sign. If we could have moved hotels we would have, but the area was full due to a big football game in Iowa City. Next visit to Cedar Rapids we will not stay there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I am an active duty military traveler and generally stay with another brand, who during my week long stay in Cedar Rapids was not available. The Hawthorn was suggested to me by a coworker.

I found the front desk personnel very friendly and knowledgable of the surrounding area. I also liked that I was able to buy beer right at the front desk for my small refrigerator in the room. Very nice touch for the traveler who just spent the better part of the day getting to Cedar Rapids. Breakfasts and the dinners were well done, but on par with typical hotel food that is done for free at various extended stay types of hotels.

If I had a complaint with my room , it was the mysterious cigarette smell that came from my bathroom during the evening hours that drove me crazy. I placed a couple calls to the front desk to complain and we diagnosed it to the bathroom fan/vent. Somewhere someone was sneaking a cigarette (non-smoking hotel) during the evenings using their bathroom fan/vent to exhaust their smoke. The culprit was never found. My solution? Close the bathroom door and run my fan to push the smoke out.

The wireless internet in the hotel was ok, but not great. They have several hubs to wirelessly connect to, but I found that they were all just weak enough to give me headaches with staying connected. When it worked, it worked well.

To close, I would also say the beds were fantastic and I slept very soundly each night of my stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank orionreplay
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at the Hawthorn Suites after a wedding in Cedar Rapids. The rooms very large, comfortable and provided all the services expected at most hotels these days (free wifi, pet friendly, 24 hour pool, continental breakfast, etc). The beds were wonderful and the decor of the hotel was quite updated (except for flat screen tv's). I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable and central location in Cedar Rapids.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple