“Kirkwood Hotel, Cedar Rapids, IA”

The Hotel at Kirkwood Center
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I would recommend this hotel to even the most discriminating traveler.

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel is outstanding, but of course it is pretty new. It is unique in that it is pa...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We recently stayed two nights. Nice rooms. I've never seen a hotel that provides a black wash cloth with the words "makeup remover" stitched on it! Cool. The first night we had a minor issue with our room. Management moved us. The next day after being out all day, the air in our room didn't work. Moved again. Through it all the staff was responsive and helpful. We stayed in rooms with king size beds. Plenty of room for us.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

South of the city in a remote area, this gem is well worth a visit if quality is more important than price. Contemporary decoration throughout with bright colors plenty of light. Well trained and responsive service staff. Mattress is top of the line, bathrooms well planned and 1st class. Quiet and very comfortable place to stay in every way.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I travel to Cedar Rapids frequently for business, and this is definitely the nicest hotel in the area. Rooms are nearly brand new and very large. (Very modern, walk in shower.) Food is excellent, although a little pricey. Plus you're supporting a great cause in the community when you stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

From the service to the food to the room, I can't say enough about this hotel. Best crab cakes I have ever had including the East Coast!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Thank goodness Cedar Rapids finally has a hotel worth staying at! This is apparently a "training hotel", it's only been open a short time, and some of the staff are students at the adjacent Kirkwood Community College (working with experienced mentors) - which is a great idea and seems to work very well.

Very chic accommodations, large rooms, excellent modern decor, great beds, very acceptable restaurant - what more can one ask for?

I can't remember the last time I received a phone call from a hotel Duty Manager to see if there was anything they could do to improve my stay, but it happened within an hour of checking into the Kirkwood. There was also a complimentary bottle of Australian shiraz in the room when I arrived - a very nice touch.

The only negative I could find was that the bar was being renovated during my stay and was therefore unavailable (not sure why they felt a need to renovate it so soon), but otherwise everything exceeded my expectations. I will be visiting Cedar Rapids regularly over the next few months, and will happily use the Kirkwood as my base.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Why stay anywhere else if you are in Cedar Rapids? This is a truly amazing upscale hotel with an equally impressive on-site restaurant! Although I was travelling for business, I felt so spoiled by my 1 week stay here that it seemed like a vacation. Staff were extremely professional (even the student interns), so very friendly and clearly focused on customer service. Decor is contemporary with a bit of a European flair. The room was well proportioned, the bed was very comfortable and I can only wish I had a bathroom like that at my house. Everything was very clean and well kept. I would most definitely stay here again - in fact, I've already booked here for my next two trips to Cedar!

Room Tip: Could hear a bit of noise from the ice machine. If possible, try and get a room away from it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business