“Weekend to Remember Conference”

Cedar Rapids Marriott
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at this property for a marriage conference last weekend. The conference was very good, thank you, and a needed sit down. We obtained a handicap room, due to my wife recovering from a broken foot. The room was large and the accessibility aspects were adequate. The room noise, however was really annoying. Granted there was a lot of people moving around, due to the conference. Our room was near the stairwell and the noise of people marching on the stairs, opening/closing the "fire-doors" was constant. People were using the stairs mainly due the two painfully slow elevators being overwhelmed by the crowd. I could also follow the conversation of the party in both the next room and the upstairs room with clarity. On the good side, the restaurant serves good fair, with large portions, at an affordable price. They know how to pour a proper pint of Guinness. The bed we had was comfortable, but had several large square pillows, with several pint-sized pillows that seemed baffling. Fashion I suppose. Breakfast and lunch were buffets at $12 per person. I never rate buffets well, as I am a small eater and the price is always too high for a bagel and coffee. Good thing Panara Bread was near by. The venue handled the conference Ok and water, but not coffee was provided. There was plenty of parking. Dining around the area is good with mostly chains like Granite City and Applebee's. Cedar Rapids city center offers more eclectic restaurants. Wireless access was fast and effective. For some reason by Blackberry (old school) would not connect to the internet while inside the hotel, but worked fine outdoors. All other phone features worked properly. I guess this place is pretty run of the mill, no great value, but provided an adequate venue.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and stairwells
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Visually, this is a nice property. For my purposes, it was also a nice location. That being said, I checked in 4 adults in a two room suite with coffee service for 3, a coffee maker that did not work (later found out you have to re-set the wall socket), towels for 3, no shampoo, body lotion for 6, and a roll away sofa bed with a mattress shaped like a cup. Calling the desk got immediate attention from a manager and all but the mattress issue were resolved. I also thought the prices were a little stiff for CR. $6.50 for a Sam Adams is what I would pay in Philly. I did not eat in the restaurant area but the menu also looked a wee bit expensive for where we were. On the positive side, there were at least 3 high school girls volley ball teams and the Purdue football team staying the weekend and I heard nothing!!! If management worked on the details, I think I would rate this a 4.

Room Tip: 512 was a good one. It's on the western outside wall and tucked away from the atrium.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

No real issues but I didn't feel respected or valued like I do at other Marriotts. First, upon checkin I asked for a bottle of water - which I usually get at other Marriotts. I was told I had to buy it in my room for $8. The next morning I wanted a cup of coffee to go, which is often complimentary at other Marriotts and I had to pay $5. In general, I just felt like the front desk was put out by me being there. Facility was Ok but room was small for the price and given other Marriotts I've visited.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 26, 2012

When doing business in Cedar Rapids, this Marriott is a good lace to stay. The hotel and grounds are well maintained, clean and neat.

I suspect because there are not a lot of solid business hotels in the area, this Marriott is not cheap. So you pay a little more. But, if you are a ranking Marriott Rewards customer, the lounge makes it all work.

Room Tip: Trying to go east out of this hotel is difficult, unless you know the trick. It sits on Collins Roa...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

While on a business trip, I stayed at the Marriott in Cedar Rapids for 1 night in October of 2012. The room I stayed in had two large rooms (one with a bed, another with an executive table with multiple chairs, large mini-fridge, microwave & wet bar), excellent wireless internet and was very quiet. I found the business room very helpful while on business. Additionally, the hotel looked to have many amenities. I would recommend this hotel to any business traveler who is going to Cedar Rapids.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Hotel was easy to find on Collins near the Rockwell corp and across the street from a large park. It is newly remodeled with hugh rooms that were quiet. The staff was accomodating and they had a small shop area with all your quick needs or water/sodas. A short drive to downtown Cedar Rapids where we visited a few sites. There are alot of restaurants and a movie theater close by.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Only complaints would be the lack of any included breakfast (11.95 buffet in the lobby hotel; there's a panera down the street) and the air conditioning didn't get terribly cold in the room. Otherwise, no problems, great price, and value.

• Stayed: July 2012