“love staying there”

The Black Hawk Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Cedar Falls
Reviewed August 1, 2014

we go to Cedar Falls a couple times a year and every time we try to stay at the Blackhawk Hotel.
It is on main street so we are close to restaurants and many different shops . The rooms are very nostalgic and just take you back to a more simpler time when social media didn't bombard you. The staff is always friendly and ready to lend a helping hand if needed. The rooms are very spacious and quite.
We plan on heading back in December for our son's graduation from college and hope to stay there again; and with the weather of Iowa in December we will sit in the lobby and enjoy the fire place!!

Betty W

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Betty W
There are newer reviews for The Black Hawk Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We traveled to Cedar Falls to celebrate the 60th wedding anniversary of my wife's parents. We usually stay at their house but this time chose the Black Hawk and now this is where we will stay on future trips to Iowa. The room was spacious, the staff was great and the location perfect!! I must say that the floors were far from level but it gave the room a certain charm. Looking forward to spending more time in the Martini Room on our next trip!

Room Tip: We were in Room #208. The extra sitting area is great since I get up much earlier than my wife. I...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2014

The Blackhawk Hotel sits in the heart of downtown Cedar Falls. Your just a few doors down from the Cedar Falls Community Theatre (take in a show while you're in town - it's not uncommon to find former New York thespians or SNL stars on that stage). Cup of Joe is your spot for fresh coffee in the morning. This region is a biker's paradise with hundreds of miles of trails winding through town, along the Cedar River and off into farm fields. The trails begin just blocks from the hotel. The hotel's cozy feel and antique room decor makes it feel very B&B like. And yes. When Yo Yo Ma is in town (playing the Gallgher Bluedorn) he stays at the Blackhawk Hotel.

Room Tip: Pick rooms in the main building on the back side of the hotel - the higher up the better. Some of th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MatthewHundley
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Before you read any further, just remember you're in Cedar Falls, IA. This place is not going to have an onsite spa, a workout facility, or a traditional concierge. I was there for a couple days for a work event, so my company paid for the room. If I ended up paying in excess of $200 a night for the accommodations, I may not have had such a glowing review. I think the rates are a shade below that, but please take the review for what it's worth.

Each room is different in this hotel. I believe it was refurbished a decade or two ago. But, the structure has been around for a century-and-a-half. It's a marvelous place...it looks just like something off a movie set. My room was giant with wood doors, wood walls, and wooden window sills. The night stands and the dressers were all wood. Same with the desk and even the bathroom sink (there was a porcelain fixture for the basin, of course.) I am not kidding...this is a movie set from the word "go."

There is an attached bar and an attached restaurant. And, Chris Kattan and Gary Sinise even signed the guest book. There are some celebrities who like to come to this haunt.

Speaking of haunt, I actually woke up in the middle of the night, because of a man standing over my bed and looking toward the window. He vanished when I got up. Ironically, some of my co-workers told me that there are rumors that this hotel is haunted, but they didn't like to publicize it. And, after coming home, I found several websites corroborating the presence of some kind of supernatural entities.

Nonetheless, this was a remarkable stay...I would recommend this as a destination for anyone traveling through the Midwest.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Vinpach
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel was very neat. The lobby is GORGEOUS with all of the old woodwork. I was staying here for business and it was just a neat place. There is a rumor that it's haunted but my boss assures me it is not :)
The breakfast the next morning was cooked to order and very good, although the menu is a bit limited. It's located in a very interesting downtown district. I would recommend this place over a chain any time!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We put Mother & Sister up at the BHH-Motor Lodge for a week. Our house is too small and full of teenagers!! Mom and Sis are from Santa Barbara, so you KNOW they're snooty and have seen WAY TOO MUCH creme-de-la-creme. But, they were VERY impressed with the service, the quiet, tasteful modern decor, downtown atmosphere and the (Thank Heavens) proximity of splendid coffee right across the street (Cup of Joe's) or in the BHH restaurant.
...and to top it all off, BHH arranged for a dramatic 93.3 inch 'moderate' flood stage on the Cedar River (next door), just enough for drama, but no damage. very exciting!!
Thank you BHH!!

Room Tip: Motor Hotel is slightly less expensive, but all rooms are elegant!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael W
Reviewed June 25, 2014

A traditional Main St Hotel, but clean, well run, atmospheric, charming , if you are bored with the chains here makes a refreshing change. Our room was spacious, thoughtfully equipped , and most of all we slept well.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple