“Great Property in Cedar Falls”

The Black Hawk Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Cedar Falls
Corona del Mar, CA
“Great Property in Cedar Falls”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We recently accompanied my parents on a trip to Iowa to see some old family farms, graves and houses. Yeah, I know it doesn't sound like a ripping time, but it really was and one of the highlights was the Black Hawk Hotel.

Most of my trips to Cedar Falls/Waterloo have been business trips and mostly involving the university so I have stayed up there, but I was thrilled with the location of the BHI and downtown Cedar Falls is just a great place to walk around.

We had three rooms and each one was very unique. They were all very well appointed, comfortable and well maintained, very comfortable beds as well.

I can't say enough about the staff and how helpful and accommodating they were. This was only a three night trip and we all agreed we needed more time, especially in the county library genealogy room so we will be back in the fall, maybe see a UNI football game and stay the Black Hawk Inn again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank scottca075

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Huntington
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Loved this place. We had originally had a room booked in the main hotel, but due to circumstances beyond our control had to change our reservation to three days later. Hence, the hotel was booked and we had to take a room in the more contemporary motor lodge. It, too, was great. The decor was amazing for a hotel, tho not my personal taste, I enjoyed the novelty of the modern feel. The bed was great, tho be careful of the frame, which stuck out from the mattress a couple of inches. My husband left a small chunk of his leg there when he bumped into it. It looks great, but will catch the unwary traveler. The towels were thick and soft, best ever, even better than the Sheratons and Hiltons I have been in. The sink was a vessel sink, cute. and there was even a princess rubber ducky! Staff was great and very accommodating. All was super clean. Room was large and comfortable. Easy chair very comfortable. The lobby of the hotel was amazing, woodwork beautiful. Just wish we could have been in the original hotel, but hopefully will be there some day. Highly recommend this hotel! We had tapas at the Stuffed Olive right next door. Food was great there also and waitress kind and helpful. The chef split an order for me so I could try two different kinds of stuffed dates. Very nice of him. Don't miss this hotel if you are in the area, much better than the chains.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Just got on the net to post a review of our stay at the Black Hawk last weekend and it’s interesting how different reviews can be. My wife and I found the staff and accommodations at the hotel impeccable and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. The staff was super and the room beautifully maintained. The hotel occupies a wonderful location right downtown and all you have to do is walk out the door and you’re less than three blocks from great dining and night-life! I just can’t imagine how this hotel could ever rate one star!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Iowa
Reviewed January 11, 2010

First and foremost, if you like history you will like the Black Hawk Hotel. No elevator to the second floor but then neither do most modern motels. Besides, it would detract from the 19th century look of the hotel. No recirculating pump for the hot water so you had to let it run for a few minutes. The room was part of a Christmas present from our son and daughter-in-law. The room was very clean and overlooked main street. We were both very pleased with the room. The staff was friendly and very accomodating. Compared to other continential breakfasts, they had a good variety of food to choose from. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
always changing
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I had stayed at the BHH once a few winters ago and the room was alright but not great. Then I had a room on the 2nd floor with a very cold bathroom and a very odd space plan. This time I was on the ground floor and found the room to be more comfortable. The bathroom is a 3/4 bath with shower and very small, but when traveling I generally prefer a shower over a bath. The room heater maintained the ambient temperature comfortably. The location is great. I find it very convenient to have restaurants in walking distance. Ended the night at the Stuffed Olive. The wine at the Stuffed Olive was horrible, I should have ordered a martini but wasn't in the mood. Though I should say the Stuffed Olive is not part of the BHH they do share a common area with tables for the included BHH breakfast. The breakfast on a Saturday morning included basics but nothing spectacular... scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, bagels, OJ, milk, cereal, apples, bananas, etc. I was eager to get on the road so I was there as they were setting up, so I can't speak to whether it stayed warm in the chaffing dishes. Overall it was a good stay. The room was a good choice for me as a solo traveler staying one night. The staff were very friendly. I was able to check in 45 minutes before official check-in time. I will book a ground floor room again when passing through CF.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed here just one night. It sits on an old main street which is really well done. They had the street closed for an art exhibit, so we were able to walk around, lots of nice little shops. And there were some really nice restaurants on that street as well.
The hotel is old and they really play up the antique furniture and decor. Every room is unique, and we had a big wrought iron bed and beautiful armoire and dresser in ours. As you head up the big old staircase, you can't help but wonder how many sets of feet have walked those steps over the years.
I'd stay here again in a heartbeat if I'm ever back in Cedar Falls.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reading, PA
Reviewed May 11, 2009

My husband stayed at this hotel for four nights while attending a business event. He said the rooms were newly renovated and very nicely decorated. The other people at the event also stayed at this hotel and from the way they talked he said that the rooms are all unique in decor and bathroom lay outs, some have a tub, some just a shower, etc... The hotel was close to restaurants and bars that served food. They offered a shuttle to and from the Waterloo Airport which was very convenient, since he did not rent a car. He was told that the hotel was haunted and his TV did go off while he was asleep but he contributed that to the fact that his TV remote had a timer on it and he figures the guest before him must have had it set to come on. Sure, the guest before him set the TV to come on between 10:00 - 10:30 pm, I say he wasn't alone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business