“You can feel every spring in the hard beds”
Review of Carrollton Inn

Carrollton Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Carroll
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend helped build this hotel in 1978. He hadn't been back since, so we thought it'd be fun to stay here. WRONG!

Lady at front desk acted as if it were a huge inconvenience that we were there. She wasn't at all friendly or helpful. Parking lot was completely empty, except for 2 semis, and it was late Christmas Eve. Acted as if they were too busy to bother with us - we asked if there was a room near the pool, and she rolled her eyes and acted like she was really put out trying to find us a different room. Then I asked for a crib or pack & play, and she was like, "Gee, i don't know if there's one on that side of the hotel..." So I guess that also put her out, having to get a crib for us in their empty hotel. Restaurant was closed for Christmas Eve, so I asked if there'd be breakfast in the morning and she said yes. Breakfast turned out to be fruit & cereal and nothing more. I thought more should've been available to us, since we purposefully stayed where contintental breakfast would be included, since everything was closed Christmas morning. I also understand the staff didn't want to be there for Christmas, but guess what - neither did we! So because they were miserable and only did the bare minimum, that took away from our holiday as well.

On a plus, when we walked in to our room (which by the way, the lady told us to go in door number 7 from parking lot with our baby & luggage, and that was completely covered with ice & snow - didn't scoop it out at all), the room smelled pleasantly clean. We were supposed to have 2 queen beds, and the beds were not queens at all. Room was small and outdated, but clean. I can sleep anywhere when I'm tired, and I tossed & turned all night on those hard beds. Bed springs creaked and poked with every move. My bofriend said in disbelief - "I think these are the same beds we hauled in when we built this" in the late 70s! He said they were heavy with all the springs when they moved them and the beds in our room did seem old.

Pool area had no hot tub, which was surprising. They made a big deal about having a zero-depth entry pool, but I didn't see what the big deal was. Because half of the pool was unusable if you were an adult because it was so shallow - I could walk it on my knees and the water didn't come up to my waist. The other half that came around next to the spraying palm tree, also wasn't very deep and never could get warm in the water because it was a little too cold we thought. At least there weren't other people in the pool - if one other family had been there, it would've been too crowded.

Overall, I would never stay here again. We have family in the area, but we'll stay somewhere else in the future. Biggest problem was the beds. Main reason we would never stay here again. Everything else sucked too - especially the staff, but those uncofortable beds are the deal breaker.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ificouldonlyfly

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our family usually stays at Days Inn but it was booked several months out. We ended up here. Front desk staff: unfriendly and seemed like it was inconvenient when we were checking in/out. The beds were terribly hard. We did not sleep well at all. The floor in the room had debris like it had not been vacuumed. The price was far too much for the fact that it reminded me of a Super 8 experience. Will never go here again and I recommend you do not either!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Stacy T
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at the Carrollton Inn as a group of 13 with 8 rooms. The rooms were very clean, but the beds were a little hard for my taste. We took advantage of the free continental breakfast each morning. The food was good, but the coffee was only so-so. I was hesitant to try the biscuit and sausage gravy that was in a dispenser, but it was actually very good, if you microwaved the biscuit first. There was a variety of foods, from cold cereal, hot oatmeal, o.j. apple juice, hot tea, fruit, muffins, toast, english muffins, hard boiled eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy. The staff was friendly and accomodating.
The only complaint I have is the people slamming doors well into the late night hours... But there was a wedding and it was prom night. So I guess I our timing could have been better.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank piercetd
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I was in the area for business and being late, did not want to drive back to Omaha, NB, some 150 miles west. This is the largest motel in Carroll, IA and from what I was told, the best Carroll has to offer, which does not speak well of Carroll. This can be described as a truckers motel.

The entire place is outdated. Staff are polite but not outgoing. Some are actually introverted which is not a good think when you are in the hospitality business. Some in the restaurant would barely look you in the eye when speaking to them. Front desk staff always seemed "busy" in the back room and like it was a chore to walk up to the counter to assist guest.

No elevator or ramps for luggage! Hell the front door is a chore to open and hold open as you wheel your bags into the lobby! What happened to the handicapped access requirement? Did this place pay off someone so they did not have to modernize?

Rooms are all stuccoed and hold the dust and dirt. Wall colors are beige and dark brown...not exactly light and airy appeal. Room lighting was fair. There was a very cheap floor lamp near the round table and two chairs in the corner of the room that had Florissant lights. It look like someone pick it out of a trash heap! All the lights, the two over the bed, floor lamp and one over the desk, were all one ONE switch. So if you just wanted one light on while watching TV, you had to leave the switch on by the room door and then go and turn off each individual light. It was crazy! The lamp shades were dusty as was the headboard.

Sheets on beds are clean, but, very thin. What surprised me was the room had a new flat screen Television but half of the channels did not work. The AC/heating unit worked good, but still the room is out of the 70's. Faux wood headboards, tables etc... Did have a microwave and small refrigerator.

The bathroom has no bathroom amenities at all! They have liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner in a dispenser on the wall! Talk about cheap! Towels are very thin and small. Bathtub was stained and shower head set for a 5' tall person. Being 6'5" I had to bend over all the time to wash my head. The shower area has a door that when closed, makes the bathroom very small and almost impossible to open unless you stand in the tub.

At night the other rooms bathroom fans resinate through the walls and ceiling making it impossible to have a totally quite, restful sleep. Called front desk and was told "this is the way things are here". OK....

The continental breakfast is awful! Don't even waste your time. Either go to the supermarket and keep things in your room or go to the restaurant.

The restaurant seems to have a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and shy's away from menu ordering. The food was good, but plain.

The bar, called Swizzle Stick Lounge is also a throw back to the 70's. I mean all that was missing was the shag rugs! Dark, cramped and appeared to be seedy. Not a place to bring your wife for a cocktail. It's more for truckers pounding shots of whiskey!

If you have to stay in Carroll for the night, this is the best place, but that is not saying a lot. Do the 2.5 hour drive to Omaha and stay in a real hotel...for less money! Yes, this place is not $39.95 a night, which is what they only should charge. They are charging over $80.00 a night and it is just not worth the value.

Sorry Carroll... Unless you get a Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn or anything modern, I will not be staying in your little town again unless absolutely necessary.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking, this place has no elevator, so ask for room on first floor, but stay aw...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Jim L
Reviewed May 15, 2009

It's an okay motel. Rooms need to be up dated a little. Showers are nice and you get plenty of towels. Bathroom sink area is small with a blow dryer. Bed spreads are typical of a motel. Would definitly recommend to bring your own pillow. Cable TV is limited, maybe 30 channels, and the coloring is off too. Air conditioner is loud and cycles on and off all night, not good for a light sleeper. Maids need to work on cleaning skills, nothing bad though. Front desk is very nice. Breakfast is sauage and gravy, fruit, cereal, breads, coffee, and juices. There's a resturant connected with good food. The salad bar is big and fast, but don't expect your order to come quickly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Checkin took all of 1 minute, the fastest ever experienced.
Very helpful people at the front desk, directed us where to park and left us alone.
Pool is great for kids, basketball hoop, fun area, they really enjoyed this.
Room was clean and comfortable, would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Motel is clean and nice with friendly srtaff, however, my problems started a month before I arrived, should have known then. They were suppose to hold rooms up till a certain date. They let all the rooms go before the date. I still managed to get a room for two night for a family wedding. Coming from out of town to this small town, rooms are hard to find when there are several events in the area. I arrived with my confirmation number in tow, they told me my room had been cancelled. I just called the day beofre they cancelled my room to confirm. Some how, somebody, not me, cancelled my reservation without my confirmation number. When I asked about that, they told me they don't really go by the number just my name. What is the point of giving out confirmation numbers? Anyway, They found me a room for that night, giving it to me at a discounted rate. However, they could not guarentee a room for me the following night. I feel that they did not do their best to accomadate me, they should have just found a room for me that next evening. No, they found the room when I went to check out the next morning. The Super 8 in Ida Grove, Iowa fouond me a room. No more reservations for the Carrollton Inn for me. Super 8 in Ida Grove or check out the new rooms in Denison, a nearby town. Carrollton will probably cancell your rooms before you get there.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family