“Horrible Customer Services & Insect Bitse”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Woke up covered in bite marks from an insect. I notified the hotel and they sent the maintenance man and housekeeping to check the room, however they found nothing. I spoke with the hotel manager a couple of days later and she said they had the Health Inspector and Orkin at the hotel and they gave it a 'clean bill of health'. However, I woke up with these marks on a Sunday morning and they inspectors did not come until Tuesday. How else did I wake up with OVER 50 itchy, swollen, red bite marks?! The hotel refuses to issue a refund for the night we stayed there, simply based on the inspection report, rather than being based on the photos that were taken @ the hotel right after notifying the staff. As you can tell by the pictures, these are 'fresh' bite marks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Jaimie W
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

I would like to take a moment and respond to your concerns you have placed on Tripadvisor as well as numerous other online sites including Marriott sharing your experience and photos. As you mentioned we did follow Marriott guidelines have our pest control come out and complete a detailed inspection of not only the Guest rooms your family stayed in but 50% of the hotel. Their findings was no bed bugs. The Health Department also came out and followed up from your call and he also completed a very detailed inspection of the hotel and found no bed bugs. We can provide documentation from both inspections to you as well as any other Guests who would like to see. We take issues such as this very serious and not only concerned for in house Guest but also future Guest. We did provide 15,000 points in good faith to your Marriott Rewards account for a future free night stay. Marriott has also followed up with your concerns as we have provided details of both inspections to them per procedures.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Despite a very busy lobby, the check-in desk attendants were friendly and welcoming. Although this is an older Fairfield Inn that shows its age, the place has been spruced up a little and the room was very clean, with the exception of a rather disgusting air vent on the a.c. unit. Hats off to the hotel for an extremely comfortable bed, although the feather pillows seem to have lost half their stuffing. In-room air conditioning unit was fairly quiet and it kept up with 95-degree temperatures. I'd probably stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Hotel is located away from the road, so all rooms basically equal.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were so excited to see such positive feedback. We are in the midst of a full renovation and looking forward to the finished result.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Burlington, Iowa. Enjoy your Holiday weekend.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Quick stop on our way to the Iowa State Fair. Staff, breakfast and location (across the street from a fun and surprisingly nice casino) were all very nice. Rooms could use some updating as ours smelled musty and damp upon entering. Glad we used points as I would have been unhappy to have paid the nightly rate for this room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with our hotel. I am glad you found our area welcoming!
I am sorry that there was an unpleasant odor in your guest room. I have researched the room you have stayed in and we have deep cleaned the PTAC unit and the smell has improved. I am very sorry that we did not catch this earlier.
We hope that you provide us another chance to accommodate you in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had to stay overnight on a long drive down south and wanted to stay @ a Marriott to get points. This hotel is in great shape, room was very nice and our rate was great. The breakfast was also pretty impressive considering most Fairfield's we stay at just do the typical juice/coffee/bagels/pastries.
The only downside was that the manager let us know they've had a lot of car break-ins as of late (six in one week!), but we emptied our car out and parked under a light and we were just fine.
Would really recommend if you need a place to stay in the Burlington area!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall. I am happy to share that local authorities have caught the individuals who were breaking into the vehicles. We are relieved that our Guest no longer have to be concerned as well as we can have peace of mind as well.
We look forward to accommodating you in the future and thank you for being a loyal Marriott Member.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am giving this hotel 2 stars only because it is so cheap, and I do believe you get what you pay for. The room was clean bu smelled musty upon entering. I figured out why when I went into the bathroom. There was a great deal of mold on the ceiling caused by some type of obvious water damage. (See photos attached). The bathtub had some dark stuff (either mold or dirt) on the bottom of the tub, but there was a fresh clean "no slip" mat on top of it. I took a shower with my flip flops on. The bed was hard but the sheets looked and smelled clean. There is a 37" HD TV in the room. The location is good as it is by the highway and right across the street form a casino. Breakfast was not good. Re-hydrated scrambled eggs, sausage and make your own waffles. It is free so I don't take points off, but they certainly don't get point either. I think this is a decent economy hotel, but that is all there is in Burlington Iowa so you just have to deal with it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank UFLawyer
FFIBRLFIGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. The room that had this problem has been fixed. We do hope you will come back and be our guest next year.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I would like to start by saying that the Marriott brand is my favorite chain of hotels. We stay in hotels approximately 30 nights a year, so I have definite favorites. This hotel in particular does not live up to the Marriott standards.

First, the good. Really nice front desk woman at check in, nice lobby, decent breakfast, surprisingly good coffee, and they have comfortable beds, even though the sheets pop off.(I hate that)

Now, some of the bad. Our first room was on the first floor, after requesting 6 months in advance for a high floor (there are only 3 floors) away from the elevator. It was 9:00 and I was told they were full and that this room was the last one. I accepted it and moved on.

We unpacked and got ready for bed, when at 10:30 I went into the bathroom and almost wiped out on the large puddle of water that had appeared. I couldn't understand where it came from until I saw water running down from a hole in the ceiling which had mold all around it. We were later told that the drain line in the room above us was leaking and that the occupant upstairs had just taken a shower. Someone at the hotel had to know about this, since it was apparent by the damage to the ceiling that it had been going on for a while. And I thought the peeling wallpaper was bad.

We were moved to a high floor away from the elevator. Huh?

This room also had peeling wallpaper, and had an absolutely gross, dirty, stained tub, with a dirty shower liner that was so long we had no choice but to stand on it while taking a shower. We would have moved, but after a look online, saw that every other acceptable hotel in town was full.

Also, our keys seemed to be good for one use, and then had to be reactivated. We took a number of trips to the lobby, but the one time the general manager was working the desk. We had to wait 5 minutes, listening to his private phone call before he helped us. He did apologize. Who do you complain to when it's the manager doing this?

We stayed in this hotel last year, and didn't like it then, but I kept reading on here about the renovations. Don't believe it. The elevator is still gross, the bathrooms are still gross, the carpet in the halls is still terrible, and the tile going into the pool area is still filthy. The only thing we did notice was that the stairwells seemed to have new paint, which the dripped paint all over the carpeting proved.

The general manager should take a tour through each and every room in this hotel and ask himself if he would rent these rooms for him and his family. I don't think so.

My review ratings are averaged to take into account the good along with the bad.

Needless to say, I should have remembered my vow to not stay here again after last year. We will for sure not stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TeamBE
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I also want to thank you for calling me out on a mistake made. I should always remember our guest first, there surly is no excuse for bad judgment when it comes to guest service. I actually do go through our rooms every day before they are rented. We are almost done replacing the entire bathroom in all guest rooms, this part of the renovation will be done by 06-11-13. The full room renovation will be done shortly after. I am deeply troubled that you will not return, please feel free to call me and let us see if we can make this right for you.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is being rejuvenated, paint ,carpet, tile, pool has been completely remodeled, will be very nice the the work is done. Friendly staff, great place for a quiet nights sleep. Would give this place a 5 when all the work is done

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for the kind comments. We are working our way through this rejuvenation; the finished product is going to be amazing. Fortunately we have stopped all of the construction till October so we do not disappoint the leisure traveler over the summer. My team and I look forward to serving you the next time you come to Burlington.