“Hidden Gem”

Catfish Bend Inn & Spa
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This property is a hidden gem in the midwest. I will review this as a business traveler; however, the waterpark and "fun city" side is perfect for families of traveling business people. When you book your room, ensure you stay on the Catfish Bend side and not Pzazz. They are two completely different wings. The rooms are large and spacious with fully tiled walk in showers (no baths). The WiFi is very quick and the rooms are very modern. In the summer, there is a Class A baseball team located across the street. The casino is a bit smokey, but most of them are. There are three restaraunts on site. The breakfast is just average, but adequate. The Boogaloo Cafe is a sports bar and great place to meet for drinks and to watch the game. The only reason the property does get an excellent rating from me is the breakfast quality and the fact that the tile in the shower is due for a thorough cleaning; however, there are no major show stoppers. Additionally, if you are doing business in Fort Madison, the bypass is now open and you can easily get there in about 25 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
PzazzEntertainment, Guest Relations Manager at Catfish Bend Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so very happy you enjoyed your stay with us!

Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were on our way East and saw the sign for "Catfish Bend Casino." We decided to check it out and were so glad that we did. From the time that we entered the front door, It was obvious that these people were glad that we had stopped. "Everyone" was so pleasant and helpful. The casino is not as large as some, however we had a wonderful time and enjoyed playing the good assortment of slots. The next time we are in the area, we will make it a point to stop and even stay at the Inn. We are sure that the great attitude of the people carries throughout this establishment. Our one suggestion would be to have better signing, once you leave the main highway. It took a few stops to ask for directions.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I will pass your suggestions on about the signage and hope to see you again soon!

Regards

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Went to Catfish Bend Inn & Spa for our anniversary. Booked the 'Love Package' that includes one night stay and a 50 minute couples massage at the spa. We really loved the spa and massage. It was a great experience. As for the hotel, the room was beautiful but I wish there was more lighting. Even with all the lights on, it was very much "mood lighting". We had a room right outside the outdoor pool/hot tub area, which was nice. The only complaint was Sunday AM. We were hoping for a nice leisurely morning, sleeping in late. However, I woke to a banging sound before 7:00 am. The banging would occur every 5 - 10 minutes. Finally went out to the pool area and looked into the fitness center, which was right next to our room. The free weights were along the wall opposite our headboard. Every time the guy doing his workout would drop the weights back onto the rack would cause a loud bang that we could hear quite clearly in our room. It was quite dissappointing to have to wake to that after planning and expecting a nice relaxing weekend. Would definitely consider returning but will refuse to stay in room 110.

The free breakfast was a buffet at the Edgewater Grille. There was plenty of choices and the food was good. That was a nice extra.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 110.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AT5064
PzazzEntertainment, Guest Relations Manager at Catfish Bend Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay for the most part. We appreciate the feedback your providing for it helps us to improve and work out little things!

Its true the rooms are styled with a certain ambiance. The lighting in our rooms at Catfish Bend are the way they are to help our guests relax. I do apologize if if this was not something you enjoyed.

The weight room is, in fact, next to room 110. I didn't know that the weights would make that banging noise and I am very sorry that you had to wake up to that. If you or any other guest has that issue again, give the front desk a call. It won't be any trouble to move that rack away from the wall were it is actually intended to be.

If you have any other issues or questions please don't hesitate to contact me!
Thanks again!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Excellent room and service. Everything was top of the line. This is a 21 and older resort with restaurants, water park, and casino on site. Have had extended stays here twice in the suite and would have to say this are the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. King size bad, garden jacuzzi tub with a separate shower in an all granite bathroom. Two flat screens, broadband service, all granite and stainless kitchen...Everything was top of the line, romantic, and quiet. Also, there is a heated pool , spa, and gym on site.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lmgarber

Dear Guest,

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay! Sounds like you stayed in our two room suite! I agree its an excellent room!

Thanks again,

Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you are having your wedding at the Pzazz Event Center, I do not suggest using the spa for your girls' hair or makeup! I recently had my wedding there and was very upset with the spa. I had arranged a practice run with a girl that worked there for my hair and makeup about a month in advance. I loved it, she did great! The day of my wedding, I go to get my hair/makeup done and they tell me the girl had quit! They had not once given me a call in advance, so it was a complete surprise on my wedding day! I ended up having someone who DOESNT even work there do my hair and makeup, because they call her in whenever they are busy. So, it ends up looking completely different than I wanted it (but not awful). And she did terrible on my makeup. In the practice run, they applied individual eyelashes on me and it looked great. On my wedding day, they had the cashier put whole eyelashes on my eyes! They looked great until I got back to my room and saw they were coming off! They ended up charging me gratuity for this, and my total was $101!!! In my practice run, it was only $85 and I had the exact same things done, but BETTER! I ended up crying on my wedding day, and wiping everything off. I had no time to go somewhere else. It was a disaster for a bride! So I do not suggest going there unless you have a practice run done and know for sure the same person will be doing your hair/makeup on the wedding day! Other than the spa though, the Pzazz is a great place to have a reception! Everything else was great!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I'm glad you enjoyed most of your experience at our facility!

I'm so very sorry to hear about your experience at the spa! I can assure you that will be brought to the spa managers attention! The spa has excellent and professional stylists and your issue on your wedding day has really surprised me!

I hope that our future brides heed your advice to have a practice run done and know for sure the same person will be doing your hair/makeup on the wedding day.

Thank you again!

866-792-9948

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I paid for a room over the phone with my credit card and when i arrived I was told I couldnt stay at the catfish bend cause my son wasnt 21, wasnt told that over the phone , so they put us in a room at the Pzazz . Wont ever stay there again. Room smelt moldy and had a urine smell as well . Woke up nautious feeling .... The water park was ok , my 14 year old was bored after an hour there . We ordered nachos from the boogaloo restaraunt and the cheese was cold on it , when i told the waitress she said it was hot when she got it from the kitchen, so we told her to check them out but she refused and acted like it was extra work to get fresh nachos with hot cheese on them .We had to ask for silver ware and refills for our drinks and had to ask for napkins .Most of the employees were rude .... Wow ,, overall it was a terrible experience for us .... Will not return .....

Room Tip: Dont go to pzazz......
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank pamela a
PzazzEntertainment, Guest Relations Manager at Catfish Bend Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback!

I am very sorry that your experience at our facility was unpleasant. The agents in the call center are trained to narrow down which hotel would best suit your needs, and I apologize that you were placed in the wrong hotel. This is not something that happens often and I am sorry that it happened to you. We will be sure to take the necessary steps to keep this from happening again.

Our number one priority is you, the customer. The fact you feel your experience was terrible does not settle well with us. Please consider giving us a second chance and visit our facility again in the future so we can make it right!

If you would like to discuss this matter further please don't hesitate to call!

Thank you!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I brought our son and our niece to Hucks harbor for a fun family outing. The grounds were very clean and kept up. The park admission is reasonable and so is the snack bar. We loved all the different slides and the lazy river was the best. Recommended day to go is Sunday or Monday (less packed). Good price for what you get... beats paying the 25$+ for all the other waterparks in the area!! Plan on staying there on the 28th of July.. will write a review for the rooms then..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lindsey A

Dear Guest,

Thank you again for your wonderful review! We are very thrilled you enjoyed your time at Huck's Harbor! I will pass your review to the water park manager so she can share it with the rest of the water park staff!

Thanks Again!