“Great dinner!!”

Description: Excellent wine list
Burlington, Iowa, United States
“Great dinner!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I tried Bistro 322 for the 1st time tonight celebrating my daughters birthday. We both had wonderful meals. I had Beef Bourguignon which was fork-tender. She had Shrimp and Sausage Carbonara which had an ample amount of shrimp with a great sauce. They have a great wine menu too. I will definitely be going back. Would love to try the French Onion Soup.

• Visited July 2013

West Burlington
“Don't pass this one by”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've lived in Burlington for years and since my husband and I eat out infrequently Bistro 322 did not get my attention until recently. We stopped for lunch and I had the chicken blt with frites and loved it. Those skinny fries are wonderful. We had dinner there about a week later and again we very pleased with the food. I had a bacon cheeseburger and it was the best burger I've ever had. I think someone else mentioned the quality of the bacon which is unusually good. My husband raved about his soup and fish. The service was just what you want: friendly, attentive, but not abtrusive. It is small but feels cozy. They have benches outside in the summer for dining. I don't know why I didn't give this little place a chance but I'll be back.

• Visited May 2013
Great Plains
“What a lovely French surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Wouldn't have thought Burlington, Iowa would have a wonderful, small French cafe/bistro! It was small but felt Parisan and the menu offered numerous delicious French selections. But best of all the food was terrific, the service was great, and the wine list was great. Real French treat in the middle of the midwest. Prices were honest, and we would highly recommend to anyone who values good food.

• Visited February 2013
West Burlington, Iowa
“very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

This restaurant is another store front restaurant in downtown Burlington, but the food is very good. It also has very few tables and a reservation is much recommended. Food is very good. Have been there a couple times this year. They are a bit on the pricy side.

Visited December 2012
Rural Illinois
“A Wonderful Surprise in Burlington, Iowa!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I don't know how we have managed to live within 45 minutes of this restaurant for more than eight years without discovering it sooner! What a delight!

The bistro is located downtown in a charming building. The restaurant itself is small--maybe a dozen tables--which makes it a very cozy, intimate space.

The food is to-die-for! I had the French onion soup, and, without a doubt, it was the best I've ever had. My husband started with the tomato bisque, which defies description! It was like an amazing marinara, married to the creamiest soup you've ever tasted. See? I can't describe it!

Since I'm not a very big eater (and since I know my husband lives to share his food with me!), I ordered the cheese assortment as my meal. Great decision! Our current favorite Chicago restaurant, The Purple Pig (review coming soon!), offers a cheese platter that is second-to-none...and I was not at all disappointed in what I was served at Bistro 322. That day's selections included a really nice Brie, a goat cheese, and Maytag bleu, along with apple wedges, sliced almonds, Greek olives, and a basket of multi-grain rolls. Perfect!

My husband ordered the paella with saffron rice. Wow! Clams, shrimp, chorizo sausage, chicken...it was so many wonderful things put together beautifully into one delicious bowl!

Some of the more interesting things on the menu: Wild Boar Osso Bucco, Pan-roasted Duck, Crusted Lamb Rack, and Foie Gras and Kobe Beef Meatloaf. We didn't have any dessert, but the menu made it very tempting.

Last, but certainly not least, the service was just the way we like it: attentive, without being intrusive.

Only a few items separated our four-star experience from a 5-star grand-slam:

Factoring in geography, we felt that many of the menu items were over-priced. We fancy ourselves to be unapologetic foodies. We tend to make vacation plans around restaurant reservations. We have made it our goal to visit as many highly-rated restaurants as we can, and we're doing our best to meet that goal! ;-) Chicago is our nearest big city, and we spend as much time there as we can, so I'm very comfortable stating that some of the offerings on the menu of Bistro 322 were more expensive than similar items in good Chicago restaurants. That seems a little incongruous for the average Burlington diner.

And at the risk of sounding nit-picky, the ambiance left a little to be desired. The walls and decorative items could use a touching-up, the selected French music (which was no doubt intended to set the mood) became quite irritating by the second course, and the presence of a television seemed unnecessarily distracting.

Also, on the night that we were there, the Bistro was having a serious problem with gnats. Maybe they were just partial to what we were eating! And we did our best to make light of it...but it was a little troubling.

However, overall, our experience was nothing short of a delight! We will definitely be back again...and again...and again!

I'm wishing I had that cheese platter right now!

• Visited October 2012