Howard Johnson Burlington
$55
$93
Fairfield Inn
TripAdvisor
All reviewssoupnew orleansenjoyed my staygreat bartenderinterior roompoolside roombeds were very comfortabletikihojoiacasino
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My family and I stayed at the HOJO in Burlington Iowa on 04-26-2014 through 04-28-2014. This facility was run down and VERY dirty. There were cobwebs…dust and filth everywhere…LITERALLY. The entire facility reeked of an awful musty odor. As I went into the room 120 I found what appeared to be a yellow bodily fluid stain on the mattress cover. I spoke with staff. The worker advised that she DIDN’T change the entire bedding set. I was disgusted and horrified all in one fell swoop, this was the ultimate in laziness. The stain was large and visible. I assume the sheet was never changed because this stain would have been noticed by any reasonable person.
The carpets in our room were disgusting and filthy. They had dark stains and were not properly shampooed in an eternity. There was a chewed wad of bubble gum that was stuck to the floor and became petrified, directly in front of the bathroom vanity (on the carpet of course). The corners of the room were dirty and hair filled, much like the bathroom….or the vanity where I found a pubic hair on the counter.
The roof had numerous holes in it. When it rained, the rain was falling into the commons area. I could see that drywall and drywall tape were hanging down from the decay and old water damage. The commons area was dirty. There were beer cans, children’s cereal, and even corn ground into the floor. The staff did not clean this area for the entire time we stayed. We felt compelled to clean the area because we had small children wandering about. This facility is a rundown piece of trash, with what I consider lazy staff. Howard Johnson should be ashamed to put their branding on this facility. I have stayed all over the country and this facility is one of the worst!!
We spent almost $250.00 for our stay alone, not including the almost $500.00 the others in our party spent. I feel violated and taken advantage of. This experience has really stymied my view of HOJO.

I would also like to make it clear that I am not a fickle yuppie that expects a turn down service and all up scale things.....I am a blue collar cop, I work hard for my money. I expect a reasonable room at a reasonable price. I also expect others to work hard for their money, the staff here clearly doesn't.

Room Tip: The photos on the website are very misleading. Buyer beware, this building is run down. Perhaps it was a crown jewel in the 1960's.....but not today.
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This hotel stay was very disappointing. The pictures on their website must be of the inside rooms because the outside room we had looked nothing like the photos. When we first walked in, the room smelled of smoke and mildew. There were stains all over the carpet and the toilet was disgusting. We went to get breakfast at 9:40 and the machine was out of waffle mix. Hotel staff refused to fill it even there were numerous guests wanting waffles. I am very disappointed in our hotel stay and would not recommend this hotel.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We keep returning to this hotel when in Iowa once every other year and aren't really sure where all these negative reviewers are staying because it most definitely doesn't sound like this one.

The place feels like home - and the great, friendly staff go out of their way to make sure your stay is as pleasant as can be...over the handful of times we've stayed here, there have been no more than a couple of minor hiccups - which the staff have quickly resolved to our satisfaction...

The pool area and tiki-bar is a nice touch - very relaxing in the evenings...and our family has been very satisfied staying here each time that we've been here.

2  Thank Ra D
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The sheets, towels and bathroom were clean, thankfully. The floor looked like it had not been vacuumed, I personally don't like the decor out by the pool with the fake flowers and the breakfast was very poor, the skim milk was turning sour, the gravy was watery and not much of a selection in the instant oatmeal. Some like me prefer plain, with no sugar and that was not an option. The receptionists were cordial.

Room Tip: I think I would have lliked a room out on the side, rather than right near the pool and bar and activities. As senior couple, we prefer a more quiet atmosphere. There were rooms out from the main Hotel facility.