“Great People, Wonderful Stay...”

Howard Johnson Burlington
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed June 23, 2012

A frequent traveler, in and out of hotels and motels all the time, this is one facility that I will definitely stay at over and over again...

The hotel has a warm, inviting feeling to it...while the building does look its age on the outside; the wonderfully designed interior - complete with its 'New Orleans' theme - makes you feel right at home...the tiki-bar is a nice touch, rooms are clean and cozy, wi-fi is awesome - caught up on my paperwork sitting by the pool one afternoon and didn't even feel like I was working... :)

The folks running this hotel - staff and management - are warm, friendly people...definitely a breath of fresh air compared to most places in and around the mid-west.

Thank you folks! Have another trip down that way later in the summer - see you soon!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Burlington

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were here for a baseball tournament. Our hotel room was absolutely filthy. I've can't get the photo added of my wash cloth that I used to clean the floor in the vanity area. Literally, the towel was black. We had dried fruit peels in the corner, there were candy wrappers on the floor, that weren't ours, so you know they didn't vacuum or sweep. I wouldn't let my family take off their shoes, & we walked around on towels.
The breakfast, although they had a selection, the food was over cooked. Waffles that you make yourself were good & the milk was cold.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Doesn't have to be upscale with a ton of amenities for me, but cleanliness is a must & you won't find it here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Most of the employees were great at taking care of guests.
Although as a contractor along with about 15 other guys i believe that managment has failed to see that it is not tourism that pays u bills. When working outdoors. The heat plays a role on our hours.
Would it really kill u to let us have our continental breakfast at 5:00 am instead of 6:00am. The ability to ensure the health and wrll being of our workers is priority.
Therefore to ensure future business from
All
You need to respect you clients needs in a forthright manner.
It's not a employee problem its nanagments lack of concern for there patrons.
Hope to see improvments or we and others will consider other options.
For future reservations.
Thank You for your time.

William E Kuntz
Preside t S.M.S.TANK DISPOSAL

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This was a very ghetto hotel. I rented an outside room. Maybe the inside rooms are better but they cost more. I am surprise that the Howard Johnson company is allowing them to use the name. Half of the hotel is abandoned and run down. The price was good and the staff was nice. The room however was clean. But the carpet was very old and had no padding. The sink wouldn't drain and there was a ceiling tile missing in the bathroom. They are renting weekly to people which usually brings down the quality of the hotel. Good continental breakfast. If you can get past the abandon part and ghetto look it is much cheaper than the hotel next door.

Room Tip: I would look elsewhere in the future
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Thank you for making a contribution about our facility. As you mentioned, we are an older facility. Our building is 50 years old, and we are not able to make some structural changes. We do our best to ensure that our guests have clean, comfortable rooms. Our exterior rooms are typically utilized by our contruction and rail workers. Our interior rooms appeal to the guests staying with families.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

The service was great, The people were wonderful and i honestly can say this was the best stay in a long time. Very friendly people and they were so sweet. i would love to stay here again. Te tech guy came and helped us numerous times and they were so so very sweet and awesome, Breakfast lady was seriously the best ever!!!!! STAY HERE ITS AWESOME
. oooo and if i could add photos the pool is so awesome and the hot tub...oh yeah u will love it

Room Tip: Well bottom floor is better but
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

I am pleased that you had a wonderful stay at our facility. We take pride in providing our guests will excellent customer service. We will welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

A nice hotel & good stay overall. I stayed there on a saturday night.

The good: I liked the layout of the inside of the hotel. The room was what one expects & bed comfortable . The rooms surround the pool area that includes a miniature golf course for the kids & Tiki bar. The price is very reasonable compared to the Casino & other hotels in the immediate area. The wi-fi connection was good & I had no problem connecting.

The not so good: Early check-in is advertised on the website, but when I got there at 130pm, I was told that NONE of the rooms were ready yet & to come back at 3pm. That seemed odd & gave me the impression that housekeeping wasn't very organized/efficient.

The breakfast was EXTREMELY disappointing! I went down there at 945am & the container that holds the eggs & hot items was empty. When I asked if they were bringing out more, the lady simply said NO & simply walked away. I looked to see what else was left & saw biscuits & gravy & thought I would try that. Didn't work/happen. The biscuits were FROZEN SOLID! What a joke! I ended up simply eating a banana & juice.

It's possible breakfast ended at 930am, but there was no obvious way to know since the hours were not posted when walking into the eating area. Also, the area was VERY messy with dirty dishes on most of the tables & the trash cans were so over flowed that plates were piled on top to the point that milk had spilled onto the floor & was all over the place. This creates a safety hazard & isnt very sanitary.

I mentioned my disappointment when I checked out a few minutes later to the desk clerk. She offered to get a doughnut or something similar, but I declined & said I would go somewhere else to get breakfast. Also, I wasn't offered a receipt/copy of the bill for my stay at either check-in or check-out.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay & would recommend staying there again, based primarily on the price & close proximity to places to eat & visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to write a candid response about our facility. I do apologize about the confusion with the early check in. While we do our best to accommodate early check in's, it is not guaranteed. Our housekeeping department works very hard to ensure that we provide clean rooms to our guests. We do not want to rush them, and let the quality of work suffer to accommodate an early check in.

I am truly sorry that the breakfast was not up to standards. Our breakfast times are posted at the front desk, and at the breakfast bar. As to not receiving a receipt, it may be based on how you booked your reservation. Did you happen to make a pre-paid reservation? If the answer is yes, then you would not receive a receipt from the hotel. The travel site that booked the reservation would have gave you a receipt at the time of booking.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience ever! We book a hot tub suite for 2 nights. It does not show in the pictures or tell you that one of the "walls" is actually floor to ceiling windows that are caulked together. The filthy door shook sideways when you opened it. The room had a funny odor. The "hot tub" was full of pubic hair and the jets had built up gunk all over them. The ice bucket had hair and dirt all over the lid. The sheets had hair all over them. The floors were stained. The furniture was chipped and there was dust everywhere. The "balcony" railing almost fell off when we touched it. The pool and hot tub on the first floor were padlocked shut. When we went down to complain I said the room was filthy and I was not staying in it. I expect them to try and get us a different room or something, but she didn't say anything and just walked away and came back with a paper that said we were checked out and were not charged for the room. Thank god we stayed on a weekday and there were rooms available elsewhere in the town. Would not recommend this to anyone EVER! The pictures are very deceiving. Nothing looks like it does in the photos. We tried to take pictures off of our cell phone and they didn't turn out, its not a high quality camera.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel. AWFUL
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacob7063

Thank you for voicing your concerns as a consumer. We do our best to accommodate each of our guests. It was clear when you came to the front desk and stated that you wanted to check out, as the room wasn't up to your standards, that offering another guest room would not have made you happy. We want all of our guests to have a comfortable stay. Unfortunately, this was not going to happen for you. At that point, management decided to let you stay at another facility that would have been more to your liking.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Catfish Bend Inn & Spa
Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington
Super 8 Mt Pleasant
Super 8 Mt Pleasant
#1 of 5 in Mount Pleasant

Been to Howard Johnson Burlington? Share your experiences!