“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Bellevue, Nebraska
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

A nice hotel & good stay overall. I stayed there on a saturday night.

The good: I liked the layout of the inside of the hotel. The room was what one expects & bed comfortable . The rooms surround the pool area that includes a miniature golf course for the kids & Tiki bar. The price is very reasonable compared to the Casino & other hotels in the immediate area. The wi-fi connection was good & I had no problem connecting.

The not so good: Early check-in is advertised on the website, but when I got there at 130pm, I was told that NONE of the rooms were ready yet & to come back at 3pm. That seemed odd & gave me the impression that housekeeping wasn't very organized/efficient.

The breakfast was EXTREMELY disappointing! I went down there at 945am & the container that holds the eggs & hot items was empty. When I asked if they were bringing out more, the lady simply said NO & simply walked away. I looked to see what else was left & saw biscuits & gravy & thought I would try that. Didn't work/happen. The biscuits were FROZEN SOLID! What a joke! I ended up simply eating a banana & juice.

It's possible breakfast ended at 930am, but there was no obvious way to know since the hours were not posted when walking into the eating area. Also, the area was VERY messy with dirty dishes on most of the tables & the trash cans were so over flowed that plates were piled on top to the point that milk had spilled onto the floor & was all over the place. This creates a safety hazard & isnt very sanitary.

I mentioned my disappointment when I checked out a few minutes later to the desk clerk. She offered to get a doughnut or something similar, but I declined & said I would go somewhere else to get breakfast. Also, I wasn't offered a receipt/copy of the bill for my stay at either check-in or check-out.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay & would recommend staying there again, based primarily on the price & close proximity to places to eat & visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a candid response about our facility. I do apologize about the confusion with the early check in. While we do our best to accommodate early check in's, it is not guaranteed. Our housekeeping department works very hard to ensure that we provide clean rooms to our guests. We do not want to rush them, and let the quality of work suffer to accommodate an early check in.

I am truly sorry that the breakfast was not up to standards. Our breakfast times are posted at the front desk, and at the breakfast bar. As to not receiving a receipt, it may be based on how you booked your reservation. Did you happen to make a pre-paid reservation? If the answer is yes, then you would not receive a receipt from the hotel. The travel site that booked the reservation would have gave you a receipt at the time of booking.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Algona, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience ever! We book a hot tub suite for 2 nights. It does not show in the pictures or tell you that one of the "walls" is actually floor to ceiling windows that are caulked together. The filthy door shook sideways when you opened it. The room had a funny odor. The "hot tub" was full of pubic hair and the jets had built up gunk all over them. The ice bucket had hair and dirt all over the lid. The sheets had hair all over them. The floors were stained. The furniture was chipped and there was dust everywhere. The "balcony" railing almost fell off when we touched it. The pool and hot tub on the first floor were padlocked shut. When we went down to complain I said the room was filthy and I was not staying in it. I expect them to try and get us a different room or something, but she didn't say anything and just walked away and came back with a paper that said we were checked out and were not charged for the room. Thank god we stayed on a weekday and there were rooms available elsewhere in the town. Would not recommend this to anyone EVER! The pictures are very deceiving. Nothing looks like it does in the photos. We tried to take pictures off of our cell phone and they didn't turn out, its not a high quality camera.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel. AWFUL
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacob7063
Thank you for voicing your concerns as a consumer. We do our best to accommodate each of our guests. It was clear when you came to the front desk and stated that you wanted to check out, as the room wasn't up to your standards, that offering another guest room would not have made you happy. We want all of our guests to have a comfortable stay. Unfortunately, this was not going to happen for you. At that point, management decided to let you stay at another facility that would have been more to your liking.
Franklin Park, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Clean decent place, friendly staff, clean room, good breakfast, good location I am very happy with my stay I will defiantly stay here again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for writing a comment about our hotel. We appreciate all of our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We welcome you back, again and again.
Pekin, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I booked this property online for a weekend soccer trip. I was happy to find a room, as all other hotels I called were full because of the tournament. I was told by another family after the soccer game that they drove through the parking lot and called the hotel and cancelled their reservation, only to be told by the hotel personnel, please don't ever book with another Howard Johnson again. hmmmm. Now, I'm also a Hockey Mom, so I thought, I can do this for one night. I pulled into the rear parking at 5:00 pm to empty parking lots in the rear and side, 8 cars in the parking lot in the front. The outside looked horrible, like a horror movie, and I admit, I almost cancelled then. I was thinking how I could just sleep in my van and take the loss. LISTEN TO YOUR GUT INSTINCT. I went inside and it really didn't look too bad. As I was checking in, some girls from another soccer team asked for conditioner, only to be told, "Gee I don't think we have any!" ...Huh? My room is on the ground floor in the dome/indoor pool area. The decor is cheesy, artificial flowers stuck here and there in the wall dividers. My room for the most part was "clean". It smells damp/musty and the carpet is pretty well trashed. One lamp was on, one didnt work, the refrig and micro were plugged into the same socket so the lamp on the desk couldn't be plugged in. The first place I always check is the bathroom, which thankfully wasn't bad. A little mildew in the shower caulking. There were no brochures on eating establishments/delivery choices, so I went tothe front desk to be told that her menus were probably out of date, sorry. ...HUH?... About 8:30 I found a place that would deliver some spaghetti. There are two wifi connections available, but both are so weak you can't connect. I was feeling a little chilled, so I tried to turn the heat up a little. After three attempts, I called the front desk to be told that the air was on, they would bring me a space heater. ...HUH?... Its now 12:15 am and I am listening to the large intoxicated group sitting in the dome/pool area partying, doors slamming and girls screaming. I hear the bass beat of a radio somewhere in the vacinity... ITS GONNA BE A LONG NIGHT... what I'm thinking now is I never checked the shower... I hope I'll have hot water in the morning... I mean this morning....

Room Tip: I would book somewhere else if I were you.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to write your experiences about our facility. I would like to address a couple of points.
As you are aware, by making your reservation online, that the hotel has a 24 hour cancellation policy. Our facility is very strict on this policy. It is explained to each guest that has a reservation. Therefore, the other person you are referencing didn't follow the cancellation policy.
Opinions vary as to what is "cheesy" decor. We feel that the flowers compliment the structure. The pictures that you have posted of our facility do not appear to be from a "horror movie", just a gloomy rainy day.
Howard Johnson has very specific standards as to what is required for us to provide to our customers. Howard Johnson does not require the hotel to carry conditioner for our guests. We do provide the required shampoo and lotion.
All of our guest rooms have directories in them, so you would have been able to locate local eateries. The front desk does have a limited selection of menu's available to our guests. Several of the restaurants in Burlington have their menu available online. We do offer a business center that has internet access on it.
Our facility is 50 years old. We do operate on a boiler/chiller system. This means that we either have heat or ac. As you know from that days temperature, it was warm, so we had the AC on for our guests. It is a very long and tedious process to switch from heat to air. We do offer our guests space heater when it cools off at night. I apologize for this inconvience you had.
alpharetta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband had to go to Burlington for a buisness trip and me and my two kids decided to go with him , first we were not sure where to stay finally based on the price, and review and hotel's picture we choose HOJO. It was such a great experience first of all, all staff from the front desk to the houskeeping were so professional and polite. this hotel is very unique compare to other hotels plenty of stuff for the kids to do such as pool, mini gulf, arcade. I would relax in the hot tub while my husband would enjoy few drinks at Tikki Bar and watch his ESPN on the flat screen by the bar.
rooms were so clean. Every time we asked for extra towels they were so kind and they deliverd them to our room so quick and even offered more. Breakfast and breakfast area was awsome. This hotel is close to all shoppings, casino ( you can walk ) and downtown Burlington. Can not wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Julia2012alpharetta
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
I am so glad to hear that the staff was so warm and welcoming to you and your family. I will be sure to pass along your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.
Beloit, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was looking for a bed for the night, and they fit the bill, what little there was.......good accommodations, at a reasonable price.........and Sam at the desk was a great help, answering all my questions and pointing me to Burlinton's highlights, I may go to a Bee's game just to drop in again.

Room Tip: a special thanks to Sam, she was good and one could tell she really knew her job and is dedicated.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Dave624
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
I am glad to hear that your stay was great. We take pride in training our staff to be customer service oriented. It is always wonderful to hear that they can impress our customers. We look forward to having you as a guest again.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I was coming into Burlington with a friend of mine, and not having any experience in this town, I decided, based on the reviews and the price, on the Howard Johnson. The hotel is in West Burlington, right next door to the casino and spa, which is literally right behind the hotel. Much of the hotel it appears is not being used, and may be undergoing renovations, but it looks like they haven't touched it for a while. Fortunately, it isn't attached to the main section of rooms, so unless you looked for those rooms undergoing work, you wouldn't run into them. The "dome" houses the several pools and the Tiki bar, all themed in New Orleans decor - cute and kitschy but not overdone. The staff all were wonderful - there is an included, very basic breakfast with the usual roadside hotel fare, some bread, cereal, coffee, waffles, and fruit. There are kids running around everywhere, which could be a plus or minus depending on whether you're adding to the circus or not, but it didn't seem intrusive in any way. The walls are very thin, but the bed was noticeably very, very comfortable - I slept like a baby - and the shower was great also - no problems. I would most certainly come back, but I think if I were to visit Burlington again, I would more likely stay at a local B&B, which are apparently fairly abundant in Burlington proper. In all, a great trip, and a great stay at the Burlington HoJo!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank adrade
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful time at our facility. You are correct in the fact we are undergoing renovations. I hope that you would consider staying at our facility again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Catfish Bend Inn & Spa
Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington
BEST WESTERN Mt. Pleasant Inn
BEST WESTERN Mt. Pleasant Inn
#1 of 5 in Mount Pleasant

Been to Howard Johnson Burlington? Share your experiences!