“The real Italian dining experience in little Ole' Iowa”

La Tavola Italian Restaurant & Pizza
Ranked #1 of 86 Restaurants in Burlington
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This visit was the second in 2 years. In fact the first visit was so darned good that I thought it might be a fluke and so I diverted my annual summer trip to return to confirm that it was just a fluke and that La Tavola has reverted to the safety of mediocre food and service just like too many restaurants seem to be doing.
Was I wrong!
How do they do this? Everything was fantastic, even better than the first visit. The owner came to the table and chatted and then returned with a complimentary pizza that would blow away any chain pizza in the country. It just got better. If you like clam linguine with calamari, you have found your spot. Exquisite and enough for a second meal left over.
Very good Sangiovese wine by the bottle, reasonable priced too. Salads were outstanding. Service was well paced. Dessert was great. What more is there? Mama Mia...that's some good eating. And, sorry Lydia, it was better than your famous Kansas City restaurant.
Take the time to find this establishment and enjoy...you will not be disappointed. Reservation required so you have been warned. Call ahead as seating is limited.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Like many others, our group of 3 had great meals. Bruschetta appetizer was excellent. I had the seafood pasta with a marinara sauce. Others had chicken breast and a shrimp scampi pasta. All were very good. Cannoli for dessert were excellent.
MAKE RESERVATIONS! The dining room is small (7-8 4-tops; 4-5 2-tops). We were there at opening (5pm) and by 5:30 the place was full. This was a wednesday night.
Service was prompt, knowledgeable and attentive.
Pricing was very reasonable. Entrees were $10-15. The portions were generous.
I thought this little restaurant rivaled many of St. Louis's "Hill" restaurants. True Italian in the river city.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Both our innkeeper at the B&B we stayed in, and another local resident suggested La Tavola to us. We weren't able to get there around our other activities, but thought it worth mentioning to others that it came highly recommended.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great Food- period!! You have to try it and don't forget the garlic knotts. Excellent service. Small restaurant that only seats so many; but it is worth the wait or BEST>>>make a reservation. My favorite is the vodka penne pasta; I get it every time. If you like or Italian or would like to try it you HAVE TO GO HERE.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I just want to start out with Jena I think you are just nit picking. From the second you walked in the door you are so quick to judge. La Tavola was never classified as a fine dining restaurant. That's just what the people of Burlington have classified it as since the food is so delicious. It is really just your typical NY/NJ pizzeria. Family owned and operated. I really don't think that a place with an open kitchen and a pizza oven would be classified as "your fine dining" place that you think it is. I don't see how you can say that they should say "no children" should be allowed. Maybe you forgot that your son was young once too. It is a small place, so the seating is limited. That is why reservations are recommended. I always know to make my reservation early.
As far as your comments on the sauce, have you tasted spaghettios sauce lately? You must just not know a good thing if you tasted it. The owner is from Sicily, I'm pretty sure he knows how to make spaghetti sauce. And my favorite dish there is the Chicken Marsala. I have had many Marsala sauces, and his is the best. I've even tried making my own and it doesn't compare. I like how they serve the bread with dinner, so you don't fill up on bread before the good stuff comes. Of course if you want more just ask. Or you can buy a whole loaf for $2.00. Or I recommend the garlic knots. Delicious!
I've never had a bad experience and I will definitely be returning. Great food, great service, and great atmosphere! A little gem in Downtown Burlington Iowa.

1  Thank MissMaria06