Squirrel's Nest Bed & Breakfast, LLC
Midtown Motel(Burlington)
Pzazz Resort Hotel(Burlington)
Quality Inn(Burlington)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe penthousebear's denbed and breakfastmississippi riverb bwonderful hostsberry patchhomemade cookiessnake alleyjacuzzi tubmelonher husbandbreakfast was amazingcelebrate our anniversarywall of windowsbeautiful kitchengreat conversation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable at home feeling. Beautiful views of the great Mississippi River. Gourmet breakfast. A true gem for Burlington Iowa. Our host made us feel like family. The Squirrels Nest is a true treasure!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I were reluctant to ever try another B&B, because, up to staying at The Squirrel's Nest, we had not had any good experiences. We wanted to do something special to celebrate our one year anniversary, and my husband found The Squirrel's Nest online. We read the reviews, and I have to admit, we were hesitant to give it a try. I am SO glad we did!! Not only was this a beautiful B&B, but Inez and David were beautiful people who welcomed us from the get go. Inez gave us a tour as well as some history on the property and her family. Amazing story! We stayed in the penthouse, and it was beyond stunning! The view, the room..all of it was incredible! As if the room wasn't enough, the breakfast they made us on both days was the best I've ever had! They spared no expense, and not one detail was overlooked in the presentation and the flavor! We enjoyed our visit immensely, and we are looking forward to going back as soon as we are able!

I also asked Inez to make one of her fruit bouquets, and it was gorgeous! And yummy! She helped me add some extra touches to make it special for my husband and I.

One more thing...Inez puts cookies in every room for her guests. These are the best cookies I have EVER put in my mouth!!! I could not get enough of them! I can't stress it enough that anyone reading this needs to visit this wonderful place. I don't have enough words to express my gratitude to Inez and David for making us feel at home as soon as we arrived. I will forever be grateful to this incredible couple for all they did!

Jason and April
Cedar Rapids, IA

Room Tip: Stay in the Penthouse!! It's a must!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank April R
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband was in charge of the reservation and I definitely give home two thumbs up. Comfortable room in the Bear's Den. The temprapedic bed was very comfortable. The shower was a little small but got the job done. Great conversations and an outstanding breakfast. They really go above and beyond! A must stay again!

Room Tip: Make reservations early for the squirrels nest. A super view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Varmitboy
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hah! The title got your attention, didn't it???

If you are into B&B's with a romantic flair, a breakfast beyond compare, then this is THE place for YOU!
I have tried for the last 2 years to book the "Squirrels Nest Suite" during our anniversary. This year the dates finally worked and we couldn't have been more pleased!

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon to the home of David and Inez Metzger. We were greeted at the door by Inez and after brief intro's ushered up the stairs, and yes, there's a bunch, to our suite. You are at the top of the world in your own little hideaway.

The first thing you notice is THE VIEW. Numerous windows supply the view of the Mississippi River below. Up a few more short stairs is the jacuzzi tub for two. Again, windows, windows, windows. Don't worry about the neighbors, there are blinds to hide their view. But, you will want to check out the neighbor's landscaping that is beautiful and soothing to the eyes!

The bed is very comfortable. The bathroom has a shower with a built in seat. There is a closet with extra blankets, pillows, etc. When you top the stairs to your retreat, you will find a small kitchen complete with fridge, sink and plenty of wine glasses, coffee cups, etc. You may even find a plate of homemade one-of-a-kind recipe chocolate chip with walnut cookies.

There is a flat screen TV with Direct TV, but honestly, we never even turned ii on. Don't look for a telephone up there, you won't find one.

Clean?? The young lady that cleans this room does a FANTASTIC job and don't be afraid to leave her a tip, she has earned it!

Breakfast in the morning. Wow.........Inez will serve you a breakfast like none other. Homemade is the word for the day. And, if you like gourmet coffee, the Keurig cofffee maker in the kitchen will make sure you are satisfied.

Be sure you make time to allow Inez and David to share the history of their home, the artwork and the stories.Oh, the stories..... I think you will love to hear them just like we did!

Don't delay, make plans now to experience this place. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davewalkjr
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A scenic beautiful view through very huge windows to the Mississippi River. the squirrel's nest is a cosy, romantic place with delicious breakfast were we spend a wonderful night and saw an awesome sun rise in the comfortable bed with a big jacuzzi bathtube.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple