“The Best Accomodation For The Final Night of Our Honeymoon”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burlington
Squirrel's Nest Bed & Breakfast, LLC
Ranked #1 of 4 Burlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I reside in North Carolina but was raised in northern Iowa. On the way back from visiting there after the Fourth of July, I booked the last night of our long overdue honeymoon at the Squirrel's Nest. I decided I wanted to travel along the beautiful Mississippi River instead of the "boring interstates". So this B and B is emaculate! It is so relaxing looking at the tasteful decor. I also enjoyed Inez Metzger's explaination of David Metzger's prize winning architechture. We stayed in the Bear's Den and it is a lovely room. We were given a tour of the "squirrel's nest" the next morning after a breakfast fit for a royal couple. The view of the river is just lovely from the balcony. The food was artistically arranged and lacked nothing for a five star rating. Mrs. Metzger is a chef who spared no time or expense to make a breakfast meal that was out of this world. I will book this B and B again whenever going back to Iowa. It was really the highlight of our honeymoon trip. We were running low on money but the cost for the Bear's Den was reasonable. On future trips I fully intend on taking the third story squirrel's nest. It is a place perfect for honeymoon couples with privacy, hot tub, and a beautiful view of the Mississippi River. This hide away place however could be a wonderful accomodation for someone single who just wanted to get away and enjoy some solitude. Our stay was restful and romantic. We still feel like newlyweds even though it was our fourth anniversary at the beginning of August. I will make it a habit in the future of booking the Squirrel's Nest in the the future because I am not done exploring Burlington, Iowa. It is a historic river town that will draw more tourists there in the future. The Squirrel's Nest is someplace I would recommend highly to anyone who wants to be treated like royality. Thank you Mrs Inez Metzger and David Metzger for creating such a lovely bed and breakfast. First class accomodations!! Recommendation by Debra J. Kelly Greene, C MS Edu residing in Lenoir, NC (grew up in Northwood, Iowa)

Room Tip: The Squirrels Nest is perfect for honeymooners or for those who want a special anniversary trip. It...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debrakellygreene

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Squirrel's nest recently while we were visiting our son who plays with the Burlington Bees. I had never stayed at a B&B before and was not sure I wanted to do so on this trip. I am so glad we did. We stayed in the Penthouse suite and were very comfortable and Inez and Dave made us feel like welcome guests. Inez is a wonderful cook and we looked forward to breakfast each morning! If this is what a B&B is all about, I am a convert!

Room Tip: I definitely recommend the Penthouse suite.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Susan P
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I wanted to plan a romantic evening to cap of my proposal day and I thought the squirrels Nest would the perfect place. My lady works in Burlington and wouldn't be able to get out of town overnight. The Squirrels Nest gave me the option to still get that "get away" feeling I was looking for, while staying in town. We had never stayed at a B&B, so I had no idea how it all worked. I was sold by the view from the Penthouse, the hot tube and the overall privacy and options for wine and other extras. I planned this proposal for a long time, seven years to be exact. And until I discovered the Squirrels Nest, I was completely unsure how to make this the most special day we would have together until our wedding day. Inez was a wonderful host! She had everything in place and ready to go. Breakfast was amazing and so was everything about our stay. Its also nice to deal with down to earth small business people. Its makes me feel like I spent my money well. I have been recommending that all my friends check out the Squirrels nest and let Inez make there special day a home run like I did. She helped me score major cool points. On a side note, we ate at this small Italian restaurant a few blocks away called La Tavola. Another first time experience for us that night and the food is absolutely amazing. I proposed after dinner there. Definitely a day filled with new very special memories and one that we will try and recreate as often as we can.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Quintin P
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Squirrel's Nest for our sixth wedding anniversary. It was also our first time staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Neither of us knew quite what to expect, but we were both very pleasantly surprised. Inez welcomed us when we showed up and gave us a tour. Pictures do not do this 3rd story suite justice - you have to see it to believe it! The room overlooks the Mississippi River from atop a bluff and is quite unique in just about every way possible.

On our way into town, my wife and I had looked up restaurants and had picked one out, but after talking to David, we changed our minds and decided to go to a local vegetarian pizza pub. Later, back at our suite, we drank wine and relaxed in the jacuzzi.

The next morning, Inez prepared our requested breakfast and it was delicious! We ended up spending much of the morning just hanging out and chatting before we had to take off. All-in-all, I would say it was a very positive experience. I would definitely recommend Inez and David's Squirrel's Nest and it is very likely we will go back at some point.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pyrello
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We are from this area and were looking for a place to celebrate our anniversary. This was our first stay in a B&B. Two nights in the Squirrel's Nest was just the trick. Inez makes you feel at home instantly and her cooking is homey and delicious. The view is spectacular, especially if you like bald eagle watching. Woke up to snow one morning and it was such a beautiful sight outside the wall of windows. We highly recommend this to anyone wishing to relax. Thanks Inez!!

Room Tip: The Squirrel's Nest has an en suite bathroom but the Bears Den does not.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank J D
Artysquirrel, Owner at Squirrel's Nest Bed & Breakfast, LLC, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

The Bear's Den has a private bathroom with a shower.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

In looking for a quaint B & B near Nauvoo, IL, I came across the Squirrel's Nest. Our Family of 3 stayed in the Squirrel's Nest room for 2 nights. We were running later than expected, and Inez was very understanding. On our arrival we found the futon for our daughter made up and ready to sleep on. Yummy cookies were on the counter in the kitchenette area. The Russian Teacake cookies were the lightest I have ever tasted. We had no clue as to the magnitude of the view until we awoke to find the sun rising over the Mississippi River. We live on the West Coast, and when visiting the east coast we are never motivated to get up to watch the sunrise. Were we in for a treat, sunrise from our own bed! There is a balcony off the room which allows you to enjoy the sounds of nature and take in the view. The room is very conducive for a Honeymoon Suite, though with our daughter along, we didn't get to enjoy the in-room spa. Breakfast was lovingly prepared. The plate was artfully arranged and the food yummy. Inez is a gracious hostess. She sat and visited with us while we ate our breakfast. Our time was too short. The location was an excellent option to staying in Nauvoo, where food choices are limited. Burlington has much to offer and it is only a short 30 minute drive to Nauvoo.

Room Tip: Highly Recommend the Squirrel's Nest
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank luv2trvlRedondoBeach
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in the Penthouse Suite. We had a very enjoyable and relaxing time. The third story view of the Mississippi is spectacular. We even had our own private balcony. Inez is a wonderful hostess and amazing cook. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and served with a personalized touch. We also had quick access to shopping and fine dining in Burlington. We are already planning our next weekend getaway at "The Nest!!"

Room Tip: The Penthouse Suite provides third story view with private balcony, kitchenette, and jacuzzi hot tub...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple