“Pretty decent stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Bettendorf
Ponder, Texas
“Pretty decent stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

I grew up in this area and can remember years ago when the Courtyard was built. It's an older property, but they have done a decent job of keeping it up. The front desk staff is extremely friendly and was efficient upon check-in. They offered me a room on first, second or third floor. I selected the third floor as I always prefer to not have anyone above me if possible.

The rooms themselves are just OK. They are clean, but just your standard room, nothing special. They are still equipped with the old TVs, no flat screen TVs yet. The decor is definitely dated. I found the towels to be quite threadbare and pretty cheap quality.

You must have a car if you want a restaurant as there is nothing within walking distance. The hotel does offer a breakfast on property, but that's it. There is a great selection of restaurants about a mile down the road.

Overall it was a decent stay and I really have no complaints. If you want a place to stay that's relatively inexpensive, this is fine and to be honest, one of the best options in Bettendorf. Just don't expect anything fancy as it is a pretty basic and dated hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

Visiting the Davenport area for a friends wedding. We won this hotel via Priceline for a small discount to other similar properties in the area. We were just here for one night and needed a bed to sleep on. We didn't use the pool or any other amenities. Friendly staff.

We did find the property a bit difficult to find. Nothing our GPS couldn't find, but a bigger sign would have been nice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CTA76
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

Visiting friends in the Quad Cities and needed a place to call home for three nights. The property was comfortable as expected, but also had a better than normal Courtyard pool and great hot tub. Since it was summer we also enjoyed the patio area near the pool one evening and brought in some pizza for a picnic. The hotel is a little off the main road, but at a very convenient exit with lots of dining options near by.

On top of everything, the staff was great. Our original reservation was just one little bit short of perfect, and the desk manager went out of his way to make it better than we could have imagined.

• Liked — staff was very helpful
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

The hotel itself is located on a backroad. It's a little difficult to locate even with a mapquest printout. The street sign is little and you can easily miss the street in the night time, just turn left when you see the big lighted dentist office sign.

The room:

Double beds on the ground floor out of 3 floors. Very spacious, about same size as a Hilton Garden Inn double bed room actually. Or 25% bigger than a Hampton Inn. Disappointing that this room doesn't have a fridge and microwave. Although their suites do.

Very clean. No visible stain or dirt anywhere. I had one issue, it was slightly dusty and humid due to the clogged AC air filter which appears to be 3 months worth of dust. After I cleaned it off, the air significantly improved.

The bed:

The mattress is very plush and comfortable. Very soft yet provides good spinal support. It almost feels like sleeping on a Tempurpedic mattress. The pillows are an excellent selection, 5 pillows of mixed densities and types. Easily the best bed and pillow selection for this 2.5* class I've ever experienced, even beats 3* hotels I've stayed.

The bathroom:

Most spacious hotel bathroom I've ever been in for it's class. But the way it's laid out, it's actually dead space. There's enough space to put in a 2nd sink counter but wasn't done, hence the dead space. FYI, the sink counter is just outside the bathroom. The bath & shower, the shower head has two settings, gentle shower and strong stream. I like mine with strong water pressure, and it fit the bill. Nice and relaxing.

The staff has gone above and beyond expectation on my first night. I had trouble with my key card, and the workman/janitor took my keys to the front desk, recoded, and stayed around to make sure they worked for me.

The walls themselves are nicely soundproofed, can't hear the next door. However, same can't be said for the ceiling and the main door. The girls softball team, The Hurricanes, stayed over throughout my 3 night stay and it was miserable. You can hear them giggling and other stuff that teenage girls do in the hallway and thumping/stomping sounds on the ceiling. My first night, I ended up with 4 hours of sleep, but that was partly due to my weather flight delay anyways, checked in past midnight. Some noise from the girls but not a lot. The 2nd night was the worst, woke me up numerous times and got 3 hrs of sleep. Approached the desk and requested a room change for the 3rd floor, she was very understanding and wrote a message for the afternoon shift and also to the manager about the numerous complaints from the guests about the girls. After I came back from my conference, I was surprised to learn that my request wasn't filled. The night shift girl was apologetic and comp'd my breakfast. For my final night, I slept 12hrs only due to exhaustion and sleep deprivation. Woke up still exhausted and again... I didn't had to worry about setting my alarm clock because my upstairs kid neighbors were gracious enough to stomp on the ceiling and wake me up 1hr before I wanted to wake up. I wanted to talk to the manager about these issues however I was running late and unable to do so.

Internet service:

Unlike the previous Bettendorf hotel I stayed, wireless signal is strong everywhere I went. Full 4 bars. An ethernet cable is also available as well. Only dilemma... internet service was down the first night. It was back up and running on my 2nd & 3rd night. Like every other hotel I've stayed, internet speed is horrendous... I question why they even bother advertising high speed internet when it's anything but high speed. When no one else is online, I get 40k/sec sustained transfer, 15-25k/sec during peak times.

The "business" computer section in the hotel lobby was sufficient. It was speedy enough, and LCD screen was sharp & bright. The small printer did the job. No fax or copy machine.

Fitness room:
2 tredmills, gym quality.
1 multi station (benchpress, lat station, etc)

Your typical decent home gym setup. Does the job for aerobics, but not enough for others.

Swimming pool:
Indoor enclosed swimming area. With windows looking towards the center courtyard and patio. Mid size swimming pool, from 3 ft to 5 ft depth. And a kiddie pool next to it. Heavy chlorine smell, you can smell it 10 feet away from the door. This is the one time I wish it was outside, because they clearly had plenty of space in the center courtyard for a full size pool. The pool looks comfortable enough for 4-6 adults, any more and they invade their personal space.

Breakfast:
Given the price for the rooms, I'm surprised they charge for the breakfast buffet. The buffet consisted of English style. Dish #1: scrambled eggs and scrambled eggs mixed with ham. Dish #2: bacon and cheap quality sausage links -- looks and tastes exactly like frozen food Banquet Brown N' Serve sausage. Dish #3: Diced potatoes, diced potatoes with unidentified mixture (did not want to experiment), and small flaky pastry with cheese on top. Make your own waffles station. Muffins, donuts, bagels, white/wheat/raisin bread. Disposable small cereals and oatmeal. Yogurt, diced cantaloupe, and diced pineapple. No other fruits or more healthier options available on buffet. For drinks, cranberry, apple juice, OJ, or milk available. All hot foods were thoroughly and nicely cooked. Nothing burnt or undercooked. Only the sausage was inedible, too greasy and poor quality. You can only tolerate 1-2 links. All for $8.99. Very pricey for this limited offering.

There is the ala carte option available. Eggs any way you want, omelettes, and something else I don't recall. And you do have the choice of purchasing separate items off the buffet as well.

I rather have my breakfast at the Hampton Inn which has more healthier and well balanced breakfast selection. And it's also included with the room. If you have the time, I advise to eat out instead, save yourself some money and your health.

Bottomline:

Priceline makes this hotel the best bang for the buck in the entire Davenport and Bettendorf area. Thirtyeight a night.

In fairness, due to the unique situation, I rate this hotel 4 out of 5 on the basis of everything else minus the kids and gladly return again. Believe me, all other hotels in Bettendorf and Davenport that are less than $100/night are much worse.

Just do yourself a favor... call ahead and make sure no softball girl teams are booked with you and also book a room on the 3rd floor.

• Liked — Best price vs quality
  • Disliked — Costumer service could have handled the kids better
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kimura-sensei
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2006

Our stay was in conjuction with the Festival of Trees.

We loved this place. Nice selection of in-room movies.

Courtesy of the staff was excellent.

CLEAN room, pool and gym areas.

Traveling with grandchildren and were in town for one night.

• Liked — Restaurant in the hotel...coffeemaker in the room. In-room movies. Location to EVERYTHING!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

Spent one night at this Courtyard while on business. Despite arriving close to 1:00 AM, my room was ready and waiting just as I had reserved. King size non smoking with a sofa, desk, shower/tub, mini fridge and microwave, plus all the other normal standard amenities (full size closet, TV with Remote, coffee maker, etc.)

Room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Hotel itself was a bit older, but it appears as if they have maintained it with a great deal of care. Lobby has a mini pantry with soda, beer, and snacks that came in handy. $119/night.

Lobby area was spacious and comfortable, where we held an interview with a potential employee. Breakfast area was also roomy, although it was not very busy (despite the hotel appearing to be sold out based on the full parking lot.) Breakfast was $8.95 for all you can eat with quite a few hot and cold choices. A la Carte is also available for the light eaters (my cereal and yogurt was a reasonable $1.95.)

Staff was good. Late night desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast waitress' timing was off - she was around constantly when we did not need her, missing in action when we needed a refill, the check, or the final receipt. Not really a deal killer, just a minor annoyance when you're on a tight schedule.

I would recommend this Courtyard to anyone seeking a mid-range hotel in the Quad Cities area.

• Liked — Location, updated room
  • Disliked — Slow elevator
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank DaveTheProp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2006

We stayed at the Courtyard in Bettendorf for our Anniversary. Upon arriving we were made "guest of the day" and given a free upgrade to a two room suite. Snacks and a card were waiting in our room and a bottle of champagne delivered later. What a nice surprise! The newer beds are very nice. There aren't many hotels that put 5 pillows on your bed! I would recommend this hotel for anyone traveling to Bettendorf, Iowa or neighboring Davenport, Iowa. We travel a lot and I am very fussy about the cleanliness of the rooms.......the Courtyard has kept the maintenance up in their rooms. Kudos to them.
A good clean nice hotel at a reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank jazz143575
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bettendorf
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
#2 of 25 in Davenport

Been to Courtyard Bettendorf Quad Cities? Share your experiences!