“Great night's sleep.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bentonsport B&B and Inns
Manistique, Michigan
“Great night's sleep.”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed in the caboose. It was fun, relaxing and cool. Plenty of AC for the two very hot nights we were there. The caboose has direct TV, extra pillows, and a good mattress. I watched TV and my husband sat at the "kitchen" table reading so we could each relax our own way. Breakfast was served at the main house and was tasty. Good cinnamon rolls, too. We went intending to stay one night and stayed two. Guess we like it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Waverly
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband, kids, and I love to come the Mason House Inn. It is a three hour drive from our city home, but well worth it. The inn is very peaceful and quiet; no television in the rooms, we turn the cell phones off, no loud noises in the inn even with all the rooms full. It is so relaxing to walk around the quiet cute shops, rose garden, and across the bridge over the Des Moines River. We love coming here to get away from our busy, crazy lives and when we do need to check in with our lives there is wireless internet! The rooms are very clean and decorated in beautiful antiques. The palor and dinning rooms are open for guest to sit, talk and play games. In the morning there is a huge breakfast waiting for us in the dinning room. And I mean lots of really good food. We come several times a year and can't wait to visit again!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I like historic inns and this one did not disappoint--for the most part. The rooms were exceptionally clean and even smelled clean -- thanks to a "no-pet" policy. We stayed in one of the "haunted" rooms, but the ghosts were, apparently, taking a break and we didn't see, hear or feel anything unearthly. The innkeepers were friendly and helpful and the service was excellent.

However, there were two problems: (1) the walls are thin and someone in another room was playing annoying music on a DVD player (yes, there's a "no noise" rule after 10 p.m., but when you're paying for a room, you expect peace and quiet ALL the time, not just after 10 p.m.--there are no tv sets in the room, so why are guests allowed to play music on other devices?). Also, one night, people in another room (or perhaps the same room) were arguing, which was also disturbing. (2) I didn't particularly care for the trundle beds that were supposed to pass for twin beds because the mattresses were much thinner than what one would expect to find on a regular--comfortable--twin bed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lavenderlady77
BnBsAreGreat, Owner at Mason House Inn and Caboose Cottage, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
I'm sorry you had a problem with noise from the other guests. We do not have TVs or radios in the rooms for just that reason. However, sometimes guests do bring their own entertainment devices and are allowed to listen and watch them in their room. The rooms are arranged so that none of the beds are head to head with another bed. But if people are being unusually loud or making alot of noise after the 10pm 'quiet time', please bring it to my attention and I'll try to do something about it. You have to understand that other people have a right to 'do their thing' in the room they rented.
As for the twin / trundle beds, they are really for children, not full size adults. I say that on my website.
The "haunted" rooms are on the second floor of the main house. About 60% of the guests staying in those rooms experience something. The spirits sometimes go into a dormant stage if there is not enough energy for them to draw from. Usually this is in the winter when we don't have alot of guests up there. Most of the people who actively go 'hunting' for the ghost will get some kind of response, but people just sitting in their room and hoping for a visitation, are going to be dissappointed. If you are coming here, hoping for an interaction with the spirits, please let me know and I'll give you some hints that might help you to have an experience. But if you are not wanting an experience, let me know that too and I'll tell you how to avoid the experience. Please don't be afraid to come here because we do have three 'non-haunted' rooms too.
Chicago
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We have stayed at the Mason House Inn many times and have been guests in every room. We love it. The caboose it delightful. The owners, Chuck and Joy Hanson, are wonderful and treat us like family. Breakfasts are delicious and all you can eat. The Hanson's have graciously allowed us to host a wedding gift opening event, a baby shower, and are planning a summer family reunion at the Inn. Bentonsport is quiet and a great place to find peace.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed February 7, 2009

My wife and I were married there in the Bentonsport Rose Garden and arranged for all of the family to stay at the Mason House Inn. The owners, Chuck and Joy Hanson, were excellent hosts and tended to every one of our needs. The house is beautiful and so full of history! I highly recommend the use of the town and property for any wedding, reunion, or any other event you can think of! Every one of the rooms were designed with a unique theme and were all very clean and comfortable. I especially love the cookie jar in all the rooms! Great touch! Thanks for an excellent wedding location and great getaway!

• Liked — Friendly hosts and History
  • Disliked — Too cold to swim in the river across the street!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mysterynut
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed in the little caboose on the side of the property. We got there when it was dark so I didn't get a chance to see how quaint the little town was until the next morning. The caboose is from Texas and it has been remodeled with a little kitchen, a shower, a small dining area and a bedroom. It's perfect for two people, any more than that would be tight quarters. I enjoyed the little cookie jar the owners had on the counter for us and we enjoyed a cup of tea. Next time I think we will stay in the house to get a better feel for the actual Inn and it's history there. The next morning we had breakfast with the rest of the guests and wandered around the little town that is so full of history...a very mysterious place with it's old bridge crossing the Iowa River, antique shops and old mill that had been turned into a garden area. I really enjoyed my stay there. The owners are very friendly and welcoming.

• Liked — The history
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 22, 2003

A piece of small town Iowa history, with warm and helpful inn keepers and clean, antique rooms. During special events in Bentonsport, they provide live entertainment and a hot buffet with fresh bread, homemade pie and warm-you-up chili among the choices. A quiet location right on the Des Moines River and near a variety of interesting shops.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Mason House Inn and Caboose Cottage? Share your experiences!