“We will be back!!!”
Review of Mont Rest Inn

Mont Rest Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Bellevue B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have stayed several times and we will return! Our best experiences have been with the Murder Mystery Dinner. From small group to large group, it has always been a fun experience. And then...the FOOD! Oh my! The dinner was so delicious! The stuffed pork chop is the size of your head! And then, breakfast the next morning is even better. We have stayed in the Carriage House (Eagle's Nest) and in a few rooms in the main house (Angelic Tower, Bridgette's French Roses, Hideaway). We prefer to be in the main house. Each room is unique. The hot tub on the roof was great for eagle watching - and there were PLENTY! We have found the staff to be so helpful and extremely nice. Chris, the owner, is a HOOT! She is genuine and is doing a great job making guests feel welcome. Naomi is the glue that keeps it all running. We will be back soon! And I hope to be the murderer!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main house.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrewCrewGirl

Reviewed February 12, 2013

When my husband and I pulled into this beautiful mansion we weren't sure what to expect. We definitely weren't expecting to be greeted by a lovely charming individual (thank you Naomi). We struggled with whether or not we should leave feedback on trip advisor but since we are honest we'll leave the good...and not so good. Everyone we encountered was very nice and very helpful. Having said that, my husband and I were very appalled at the way Chris treated her employees. Being a small business owner we too deal directly with our customers as well as work closely with our employees and would never dream of treating them the way we witnessed Chris treat her employees. I don't care what kind of mistakes they made. We could literally hear her screaming at a woman named Barb while we were waiting on breakfast to be served. I felt terrible for the woman. Then a couple of other young ladies came in as we were all getting ready to check out and she was rudely barking orders at them right in front of us! In addition to how nasty she treated her employees, we don't recommend that you stay in any of the following rooms. Carriage house, eagle's nest or the boardwalk suite because not only can you hear the television below but every time a car pulls in there's a dog that barks and just won't stop. In the house the noise factor is much quieter. Overall our stay was very nice. If I may make one more suggestion. It is very rude to just assume that it's okay with all of your guests to let a large dog in. Next time try asking. He is a beautiful dog but every time we stood up to leave he barked. Whether he bites or not doesn't matter, it's very unnerving.

However...
Naomi is a pleasure to be around and a terrific host. If we decide to give it another shot Naomi will be the reason.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank traveler37117
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My brother and his girlfriend gave our family this little getaway for a Family Christmas present. What a wonderful surprise. The place is magnificent! Built in 1893 the place is completely renovated and better than some 5 star hotels. We did the Murder Mystery and everyone had a great time. Our host Naomi was entusiastic and made the whoel evening a success. All rooms have wonderful beds and modernistic TV with cable and satellite! The place is immacualte and the Christmas decorations really add to the charm of the place. We will most definately be back when we plan our field of dreams trip this summer. Thanks Ralph and Chris we had a blast!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house which you share with other guests. The carriage house was available and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sluczak
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed with several other couples for a business meeting and post holiday celebration. It was great and the food was awesome! The histroy behind this is unbelieveable. The staff was so cordial and the Murder Mystery was great fun. My husband and I will go back and try to do the Riverboat cruise and take in more of the sites. It amazes me what you find that Iowa has to offer!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Montrest on a Saturday night in January for a murder mystery dinner. It was a 20th anniversary surprise for my wife. Everything was as good or better than I expected. Our room (Bridget's French Rose) included a wonderful queen size bed with canopy, jacuzzi tub and fireplace. Yes the room was a tiny bit cramped, however, it is very charming and clean. The whole experience is very Victorian!! All of the rooms are very nice. Just make sure you understand some rooms have a shared bathroom and a few only have showers. The murder mystery was great and the innkeeper Naomi added to the fun of the evening. The food is incredible, however, I think the salmon is the 'least best' menu item. The cornish game hen was excellent and people were highly complimentary of the steak. The owner Chris is a delight and is happy to share as little or as much of the home's colorful history as you want to hear! We both really enjoyed the B & B and my wife said she would recommend this place to any of our friends!! We have decided to try a few more B&Bs in the future! As an Architect I appreciate Chris's preservation ethic and her saving of the home after a devastating fire!!

Room Tip: Our room (Bridget's French Rose) included a wonderful queen size bed with canopy, jacuzzi tub an...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This inn is situated on the base of a hill a few blocks away from the banks of the Mississippi river. The location offers up some nice views of the river valley. Some of the rooms were a bit small, but had a unique feel to them. A group of six of us spent the evening to take part in the weekly murder mystery party. We rented the three rooms that were separated from the rest of the house by a small walkway, two of which were connected. This setup worked well for us as we didn't have to worry too much about disturbing the guests in the main house. Check-in was at 3:30pm and the festivities started with appetizers at 5:30pm followed by the murder mystery setup and then dinner shortly afterwards. Everything wrapped up around 10:30pm. The apps and dinner were decent, but the breakfast the next morning was fantastic. What really made the stay was the customer service, everyone was very friendly and the owner took a couple hours of her time to explain the history of the house after breakfast the next day. Overall, fairly entertaining trip and was a good price for what was included.

Room Tip: If you want some privacy, ask for one of the three rooms in the carriage house. If you want late-nig...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband & I visited Mont Rest for my birthday weekend. I planed for a antiquing weekend and found Mont Rest by calling the other bed & breakfast's in the area. None of them had the basic customer service that Mont Rest had. From the moment I made the reservation to saying good bye and the end of our trip. The most friendly and outgoing staff, Inn Keeper/Owner. Christine and her husband are awesome! My husband was VERY skeptical, he has high standards, and I can not thank Christine enough for making him feel comfortable and relaxed. The icing on the cake was of course the food. The owner is the chef as well and makes the BEST breakfast. I can not say enough great things about Mont Rest, we will be returning soon, hopefully a girls weekend with my daughter and grandma.

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome and unique.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellevue
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL
Best Western Designer Inn & Suites
Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa
Stoney Creek Inn
Stoney Creek Inn
#1 of 11 in Galena
Chestnut Mountain Resort
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to Mont Rest Inn? Share your experiences!