“Very Romantic, but”

Ranked #1 of 4 Bellevue B&B and Inns
duchessmellie
“Very Romantic, but”
Reviewed January 7, 2008

My husband and I just spent our 1 year anniversary at Mont Rest Inn. Our room had a terrific view of the Mississippi and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was across the hall, which we knew when we booked, but it was the only room available for the weekend we wanted. We participated in the Murder Mystery Dinner which was fun and the food was great. I think I would have had more fun at the dinner if I didn't receive the role of the murderer. I was too worried about giving it away and ruining the mystery for the other guests that it was hard for me to relax and have fun.

Breakfast was wonderful and the homemade blueberry muffins were unbelievable.

• Liked — Unique property
  • Disliked — Some of the other guests
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank duchessmellie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Iowa
Reviewed August 14, 2007

This was my first my first experience at a B&B. I wasn't sure what to expect. I have had heard rumors of B&B being uncomfortable, however this was not the case. The house was beautiful and the sleeping accommodations were great! I have to say my favorite was the breakfast. The homemade cinnamon rolls were delicious. Mont Rest is a wonderful place to RELAX. There is not much to do in the small town of Bellevue, however there are other great attractions in Galena and Dubuque, which is only a short car ride away.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank traveling_Fit
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Me and my boyfriend were thinking of something fun to do for the weekend and we came across the Mont Rest Murder Mystery program at Mont Rest. I had never been to a bed and breakfast before and was quite apprehensive. I was so relieved when we got there. The place was beautifal and our room - the Boardwalk - was great TV/cable, fridge, jacuzzi bathroom. Wonderful!

The murder show was alot of fun as well. I did not come close to solving it, but it was fun none-the-less. The food was also great, so much better than what I expected. The hottub was great as well on the roof. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Chris, the owner was especially nice as well.

Being gay, I was a little concerned about how they would be at Mont Rest, but everyone was great. I will definitely be coming back and telling many of my friends and family to come as well!

• Liked — Staff and food
  • Disliked — None
  • Tips/Secrets — Boardwalk room was great
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank xiphoid76
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2005

Husband and I went here for an Anni getaway. It was the best time for the money we've ever had. The food was great, and the mystery evening was so much fun. Never expected my husband to get into such stuff but he was the one who figured out "who done it" We're going to get a nights stay for our daughter as part of her christmas gift next year.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2003

My husband and I went to the Mont Rest Inn Bed and Breakfast because we wanted to enjoy the fall foliage. It was breathtaking!! The Inn was beautifully decorated with antiques. The kitchen was kept fully stocked with sodas and other beverages (which must be purchased via the honor system) and a vast assortment of complimentary freshly baked cookies.
Despite the number of rooms at this Inn (there are 12 huge rooms, all of which were booked while we were there), the Inn never felt crowded.
It was, shall we say....cozy.

We first stayed in Ginny's Woodland Room. It had a gas fireplace, cozy whirlpool for two, double shower heads and a comfy-cozy queensized bed with lush pillows and covers. The room was dotted with antiques, including an antique radio which sat on the fireplace mantle. It was truly lovely.

The second night, we had to be moved to the first floor to the Hideaway Room as our first room had been booked by someone else. We were somewhat disappointed in this room. It lacked the fireplace, and the first floor is more noisy and lacks privacy, especially since this room is directly outside the dining room. Also, we had trouble getting hot water. But it was still a nicely decorated room.

The murder/mystery dinner is amazing!!! The costumes and the plot are fun, and everyone (no matter how mature or boring you are) gets in on it. The food is outstanding. You get everything from hors douerves to dessert (and of course a lavish entree in between). This part of the trip was highly recommended, and although the package is a bit pricey, the meal ALONE is worth it...try the stuffed pork chops!!!! YUUUUUM!

The only thing we were disappointed in, aside from the Hideaway Room's location on the first floor, was the breakfast buffet which was reminiscent of college dorm food. Need I say more...? But everything else makes up for that little flaw. And the dinners at night are a different story, they are wonderful.

Also, there is a casino not far away, about 20 miles. It's fun to go there and play the slots late at night and of course, Galena is just around the corner with its cute and kitschy shops and cafes.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellevue
Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa
Stoney Creek Inn
Stoney Creek Inn
#2 of 11 in Galena
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL
Best Western Designer Inn & Suites
Chestnut Mountain Resort
Bernadine's Stillman Inn

Been to Mont Rest Inn? Share your experiences!