“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Iowa
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Based on reviews here on TripAdvisor we searched out this restaurant. Nice location, right on the bank of the Mississippi River. If you come by boat they have a dock for you to tie up at.

We both chose to have the pike dinner. Our pike was delicious, fried well, not greasy, nicely moist inside. The salad bar is ok, nothing spectacular but nothing bad either.

We found this restaurant to be ... quaint? It was a nice quiet dinner, in a place where we felt we could just relax, not a single person there had any sort of pretense. Service was very good, our server was very friendly. The place has the feel of 'where the locals go', but where anyone is welcome to join them, at least that's the impression we took away from our visit.

Driving here by road, I suggest using your GPS! Yes, it's a bit of a challenge to find if you don't already know where it is. But it's worth looking for.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank traveler_from_Iowa

Prophetstown, Illinois
“Love this Place!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Went for my birthday.(Received a free Drink) It is such a beautiful place to visit. Beautiful view of the Mississippi. We did not eat here but we are planning on returning. It is a very small place, quiet, cozy and very comfortable. I can't say enough about Spruce Harbor. I can rave all day about it. I agree with all the reviews. I am very happy that we took the time to stop. On the way out the door I asked if they served Bloody Mary's and they said yes an gave me sample. It was the best I have ever had. It was great. We will be returning.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Tompkins2006
Lanark, Illinois, United States
“Great Food & Atmoshpere with Fair Prices!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I live at a lake development about an hour's drive from Bellevue and Spruce Harbor is one of our very favorite places. We found out about it from a local (Bellevue) business and have been going there for about six years. The service, food (incl. nice salad bar) are first rate. The Pike is my favorite, while my wife loves the Shrimp. We highly recommend this jewel right on the Mississippi!! It's a little hard to find your first visit, but just follow the Google map on their website.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Geoff S
Dubuque, IA
“a nice family restaurant with a view”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We boat on the mississippi a couple of times per year. We end up at the Spruce Harbor for dinner each time. The food and service are good. The view is excellent. Relaxing and not rushed.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Goodscout
Dubuque, Iowa
“The only thing better than view is the food and I mean it!”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Nice restaurant off of the highway located next to a campground on the river. The restaurant has several windows that give a nice view of the barges going by. During the summer they have a nice large dock and gas for boaters. We ate here the last two Friday nights. We had the Friday night fish special. The broasted Pike is all you can eat with potato and salad bar. The steamed Pike is not all you can eat, but they give you four pieces instead of three. I thought I would want more fish, but the time I ate my rice pudding I was full. I only saw one person ask for more fish. The Pike was quite tasty almost a sweet buttery like taste. Don't let the small island salad bar fool you. There were atleast 6 homemade salads plus cottage cheese and lettuce and great homemade rice pudding for dessert. Jessica was our server very outgoing young lady. She knew the menu inside and out. The jumbo shrimp are huge. That was a very popular item last night. Take the drive from Dubuque its only 25 minutes and you won't be disappointed.

Been to Spruce Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!