“Absolutely delicious food, superb service, great location”
Review of Pilu At Freshwater

Pilu At Freshwater
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Freshwater
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Absolutely delicious food, superb service, great location”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We dined here for Mother's Day recently as a family of four. It was a set menu, and is definitely not cheap but the food is absolutely delicious and in good quantities. We had a starter of delicious breads including Sardinian flatbread, with delectable olive oil, and then an antipasto platter with peppers, olives and salami/prosciutto, as well as beautiful fish cake/fritters (my family thought they were the best we've ever had.) More bread was offered but we didn't want to fill up too much. Next was a delightful pasta with lamb ragu - delicious. Then I had barramundi which was beautifully presented and my husband had fillet of lamb. Finished with mousse and pannacotta both of which were to die for.
The service was impeccable - friendly, courteous and very knowledgeable,especially about the Italian and Sardinian wines.
My younger son had the children's menu which was really fantastic - far superior to any normal kids menu.
This was our first visit to Pilu and I rate it very highly - we'll be back.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank kibrannan

“Perfection.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've had 5 restaurant experiences in my 20 years of fine dining that were impeccable. This was one of them. Perfect setting, view, service, food, attention to detail, ambiance, company. The whole experience was exquisite - especially the whales breaching in Freshwater bay as we enjoyed our black fig dessert and espressos.

Everyone who tended to us was highly knowledgeable about the food and wine. They made some great recommendations, were not too intrusive and obviously cared about what they did and the food they served. The restaurant is not at all stuffy or pretentious; just relaxed and provided with passion.

We had the suckling pig which was moist, deliciously fatty and with the best crackling I've ever tasted. It was balanced perfectly with a crisp yet jammy Contini Rosato and served with simple pinzimonio.

Meals like this remind me how lucky I am; they are the moments I will will always remember with a warm smile. Is there anything better than lunch & love?

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank VawnMarginal
Perth, Australia
“Best dining experience in Sydney”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

It is hard to describe how good this restaurant really is. It is fine dining at a fine price, but do yourself a favour, save up your cash, and go for the 6 course set with wines at $195 per head. This is our second visit in 2 years and for a special occasion this is absolutely top class. Each degustation course is matched with a fine Sardinian wine, and they , as are the meals, are spectacular. Consider delights such as scampi and pickled cauliflower with horseradish, pecorino consommé with smoked pumpkin and chestnuts and thyme, wild mulloway on coals with artichokes, mushroom and leeks, roast sucking pig, and a Sardinian pastry with ricotta, sultanas, and corbezzolo honey....get the picture?????

This is in the top 5 restaurants I have ever been to, and it would get 3 hats in my opinion. Go for it!!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Craig L
“Quiet and fine”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have been there several times, both for dinner and on the last occasion, for lunch. It's just too far to walk, but there is parking in the streets around, unless you go on a hot Sunday, when you have to compete with the beach crowds.

We go there by choice: what more would I need to say.

OK, we will go there again. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

• Visited September 2012
“Have a Heart....”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a restaurant that we had enjoyed often. We live in the area and were delighted that we were able to go to a wonderful restaurant for special occasions locally, (we even spent Christmas lunch their this year!). We recently booked to Pilu for my birthday. To cut a very long story short, I collapsed in the restaurant suffering the start of a major heart attack, (I have subsequently had open heart surgery and thankfully I am now in recovery mode). The bizarre thing is, one of the only things I remember is laying in the middle of the restaurant attended by the Ambulance service and seeing my partner being charged for the dinner, (less that mains which we hadn't touched). When I emailed the restaurant from my Hospital bed saying I thought this was a bit off, all I received back was quite a long defensive email......so much for customer goodwill and taking a bigger picture

• Visited March 2013