“Made reservations and showed up to find they had closed for the night.”
Review of Plum's Upper Room - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Made reservations and showed up to find they had closed for the night.”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We made reservations specifically for Saturday August 2nd, 2014 for a birthday celebration. When we got to Zionsville discovered the street dance was on Main Street. Had to park and walk pretty far only to discover they had closed for the evening. Extremely disappointing considering they had a phone number and should have called to advise. Makes no sense why they took reservations when they weren't open without any notification. Will not go back even though the food could be delicious.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Christy G

Zionsville, Indiana
“Service was awful.”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The food at Plum's when we were there was quite good, but the service was just plain dreadful. We were seated quite quickly, but then we were left there for about twenty minutes before anyone asked us about wine. We were ready to order a bottle and settle in, but no one came. We could see the hostess across the room chatting happily with other patrons that she clearly knew. We would have waited happily for a waiter to give us menus and order food if we had been plied with wine - seems like restaurant 101. We had to wait a long time to order and a long time for the food to come. The food was good, but it was not worth the wait. The ambience in the restaurant is lovely. But this is not enough for us to go back after such awful service.

Visited November 2013
Dixboro, Michigan
“Go up the stairs and check it out”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Mme. Rkatsiteli and I dined at Plum’s on a quiet Wednesday evening in July. We didn’t have any expectations; in fact, we had never heard of the place.
Ascending the dark staircase was intriguing, and we were pleasantly surprised to find an inviting, spacious room. All the window seats were occupied, so we took a table underneath the big chalkboard. The menu that night was limited, only a half-dozen entrees; Mme. chose the meatloaf, whilst I elected to try the duck. I must add that the presence of duck on a menu distracts me from most other choices, so there might have been other dishes but I didn’t notice. I inquired about the preparation of the duck; it is a breast, cooked sous vide, then finished under the broiler to crisp up the edges, and presented with a sauce of mushrooms and juices. There is a crispy bit of crackling atop the duck. The garnish included a frisee lettuce with a light dressing enhanced with horseradish, unusual but very tasty. Mme’s meatloaf was laced with fennel, imparting a different taste that we will try to reproduce in our own kitchen. She described the meatloaf as almost fluffy; we suspect it was blended gently by hand, or by someone with a delicate touch on the food processor, making it flavorful but not heavy.
Reflecting on the meat loaf, we recalled that the bread had been unusual; since I bake bread myself, I thought it had less salt than most bread. (In fact, the chef told us it has no salt at all!) The horseradish is another way of seasoning without salt. Though neither of us has any dietary restrictions, we appreciated the low-sodium diet, and enjoyed the creativity displayed in enhancing other tastes to make up for the absence of salt.
Service was prompt and attentive; the bar menu though not extensive was fascinating. I pay attention to beer, and the Plum beer selection was eclectic and very high quality across all categories. The wine card was also broad and of interest to anyone who appreciates wine that isn’t mass marketed.
The chef was relatively new (only a couple of months at Plum’s) and very happy to talk shop. We took home a dessert (a bourbon-sauced apple turnover) that made a superb breakfast pastry.
Overall, we were happy we obeyed the impulse to ascend the staircase and check this place out. It was our first visit, so we cannot comment on the consistency of the experience, but our experience was uniformly pleasant and we look forward to dining at Plum’s again.

• Visited March 2014
Zionsville, Indiana
“Perfect Date Spot”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I will start off by saying it is a little pricey, but this is right in the heart of downtown Zionsville. It's a quaint, unique little place. The service was excellent and the food was too. The wine selection was good. I had the lamb and my date had the tuna and we both really enjoyed it. We also finished with the carrot cake and coffee. The menu does change daily so unless you call ahead, I'm not sure how you would know what they were serving that day.
I thought the ambiance was very romantic. They had candles all over, even on the stairs. The stairs are a little steep so take your time on the way out, especially if you have a few glasses of wine as I did. All in all I really enjoyed my evening here.

• Visited May 2014
Solon, Ohio
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a place for a light meal and a glass of wine/beer. We were in town looking for a place to live as my new career change was moving us to town. The experience was a little rushed and awkward as we were between lunch and dinner and they generally do dinner by reservation. The atmosphere was really neat, and it has a very small feel to it . . . but it is very upscale. Being a more upscale establishment also meant the prices reflected that and we spent quite a bit more than anticipated for a cheese tray, a glass of wine and a glass of beer. This would be a "hip joint" for the right crowd, but this wasn't my wife nor my cup of tea. The cheese tray was good, and the selection of drinks was decent . . . we were just a square peg in a round hole.

• Visited June 2013