“Eye Sore for Purdue” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in West Lafayette
Chicago, Illinois
“Eye Sore for Purdue”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel has nothing special to offer when staying at it. I stayed here during recruiting at Purdue. There were very few options when it came time to book a hotel. The rooms were clean (I was so afraid of them being disgusting), but they smelled awful. I think the smell even absorbed into my clothing that I had to hang. It was just an old, musty smell. A closet would have been nice. The wallpaper is peeling and full of water damage. The bed sheets were itchy. The bathroom was clean, but the shower was like a camp shower. It was tiny, even for someone small like me. The water took 5 minutes to get hot and then you had to keep playing with the hot and cold to keep the temperature ok. There was also a big green stain in the shower. I hope the bathrooms are getting complete renovations.

The lighting in the room was awful too. There was no light by the desk, so I couldn't try to get any work done. The TV had very few channels. We saw rooms were being renovated, but unfortunately we did not get one of them. I noticed they aren't changing the comforters in the new rooms. I love the hotels that have the duvets now because it seems so much cleaner. The A/C worked fine, but there was a terrible storm the night I was there and it kept me up all night. I can't believe Purdue allows this run-down motel so close to campus. The location is GREAT, but this place is such an eye-sore. I certainly hope they put some money into repairing the outside. I was embarrassed to be staying here. The lady at check-in was nice, but it was all downhill from there. The carpet outside the rooms is gross and dirty too.

I hope I never have to stay here again. Although it's a convenient location, I'd rather stay someplace that is more updated and has a better sense of cleanliness, even if it's a 15 minute drive to campus. I stayed in a hotel the next night at another recruiting location, and I felt like I was in a palace after experiencing the Campus Inn.

Room Tip: Since it's a motel, I'd suggest a room on the 2nd floor. I think the first floor rooms have...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephanie Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I made a reservation for this hotel over the internet. When I needed to cancel my reservation, I called and was told I had to cancel via the internet. The problem was that the hotel's web site was down so it was impossible for me to do so. When I called back, the hotel employee said they would charge me anyway for the room and was extremely rude. I wouldn't stay in this hotel if you paid me!

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in any room in this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank shirley596

Travelers are raving about these West Lafayette hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Had an emergency trip and needed a place quick. It was quick, but an awful place. Check in took twenty minutes because staff didn't know what to do. Charged a pet fee for our dog that was cleaner than the room. There was no heat on in the room until we came in. The floor was damp, I hope it was from carpet cleaner. I let the sink run for 5 minutes and the water never warmed at all. Tried the same with the shower with the same result. In the morning I tried for ten minutes and never got above ice water. Sheets seemed clean but the blanket had a cigarette burn through it. Room had a musty smell.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank KristenLovell
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am sure there are worse places to stay on the planet than the Campus inn, like Detroit, but I just would not go here at all. For $20-30 more per night if not the same amount as you pay here, you can upgrade yourself to a much much much nicer place. If the only thing you care about whatsoever is location, then go right ahead. I am the least OCD person I know, but even this place made me want to clean everything insight, as well as myself. Do Indiana, and Lafayette a favor, boycott this place so they can bulldoze it and put in something at least halfway decent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Randall C
Almaty, Kazakhstan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you are searching for low prices and not far from campus - Campus Inn is good choice. And especially if you are in West Lafayette for first time, as we were. The hotel staff was friendly, always willing to help and provided us with a map and all the necessary information. Campus, restaurants, shops, even movie theater - all is near this hotel. It was our first visit to USA, and this hotel did not spoil our impression from visiting West Lafayette and Purdue University.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boring, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I can't believe it, but we've stayed here 3 times--always hoping things will improve. Not! It continues to be a marginal, untidy, uncomfortable, unmaintained property. This time, we arrived to find soap left open after someone else had used it! The (male) host (I use the term advisably) was rude. Okay, 3 strikes and you're out. We'll find another place.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank GalGavel
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE-- TRY ANYWHERE ELSE.

This place is a living nightmare. I tried to stay here homecoming weekend because the Union was booked-- they were charging $129 a night. Me and my one friend were planning on staying, but our other friend was dropping us off. When we were checking in, the (EVIL, TERRIBLE, SCARY) check in guy tried to intimidate me by saying "How many people are in your car?" And I said "We only have two people staying here" and he goes 'REALLY because your car is FULL of people." I assured him we only had two staying. Then we get out to our completely disgusting room, (dirty & small, bed a half inch from the ground) and our friend is helping us unload. This guy calls our room and starts yelling "I need to see you at the front desk-- because i just do". I ask why. He said just to come up there. I go to the front desk, thinking if i could just explain to this guy what's going on, he would know we only had two people staying. Long story short he just keeps screaming and telling me that I was a liar and that we were going to have four people stay there (there were only 3 of us, so that i was even more ridiculous). AND he told us if we have a single person past 10:30 he would terminate our stay and make us pay full price.
129 a NIGHT for this gross room and the guy was terrifying! What hotel won't allow other people in the room even for a brief period? I am a 24 year old girl with a 9-5 job trying to visit my alma matter and he is screaming at me and treating me like a criminal. I tried to explain we didn't have a problem with the rule but he was singling us out. Finally he lost control and literally CHASED us out of the main building. Luckily (reluctantly and so rudely) he allowed me to get my money back. I think at this point he was afraid I would call the police. Thankfully the union had a last minute room open. So much nicer and guess what-- they let us have people in the room like a halfway decent hotel would. I plan on calling Purdue and asking them to try and force this place out of business. What a terrible, terrible place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3.0 of 5 stars 21 reviews
Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre
Four Points by Sheraton West Lafayette
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lafayette

Been to Campus Inn? Share your experiences!