“One of the Best Restaurants in Town”

Nine Irish Brothers
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Nine Irish Brothers is an award-winning traditional Irish pub--recently named the Best Irish Pub in the State of Indiana by Yelp and Buzzfeed--with two convenient locations in Greater Lafayette, Indiana, and a third location in the heart of Massachusetts Avenue in Indianapolis. Our family-owned-and-operated restaurant serves premium Irish food and spirits and has a full bar and menu, with items ranging from salads to steak to Irish favorites such as Guinness Stew, Shepherd's Pie, and Fish & Chips. Well-behaved patrons of all ages are welcome from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., unless circumstances prohibit minors (e.g. large, rowdy bands). Nine Irish Brothers is proud to be smoke-free. We also feature live Irish entertainment on most weekend nights. We take reservations for parties of six or more people.
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“One of the Best Restaurants in Town”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

This is not a posh restaurant. It's an Irish pub. One that used to be a car wash and hair cut establishment (the one on the West Side). It's somewhat loud, often full, and a whole lot of fun. The food (try the stew, the fish in chips, or the Dublin salad) is great and very afforable, and the service is always good. I frequent this place for not only meals, but just grabbing a drink.

They even do whiskey tastings every few months in additon to other fun activities. And the beer is great.

• Korean first
West Lafayette, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just like the old country”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Holy cow. My wife and I have been to Ireland for several summers as study abroad sponsors, have always loved the pubs, and have always lamented the lack of hospitality in the states. When Nine Irish Brothers came to town, we avoided it at first because we thought it would be another cheap knock-off. Finally, we went with friends for dinner on a Friday and were truly impressed. Many visits later, and I can say we feel like we are part of the family. Jan and Jerry are great, as are Maggie and Matt and Alex behind the bar. Actually, the whole staff is amazing--we've never had anything but exemplary service.

As for the food, we are both fans. I've tried (almost) everything on the menu and can say I like about 90%. They've got great Irish dishes such as beef stew, fish and chips, and Connemara chicken, but they also have good pub grub--I would say their burgers are one of the best in the area.

Drink wise, my wife loves the wine selection (she loves Malbec), but I stick to the beer and whiskey. They have an enormous selection of Irish whiskeys, including gems like Knappogue. (If Green spot would only export!) They serve an excellent pint of beer--the Guinness is the best I've had in the US.

So to sum up my thoughts, if you are looking for a memorable evening, stop by and see this place. They also do Irish entertainment such as trad sessions and Irish rock bands.

Oh yeah, and the form reminded me of something--they just added a parking lot across the street and apparently have something worked out with El Rode and China Buffett, because there is plenty of parking.

1 Thank princehalpurdue
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I love it! My husband doesn't like it so much because he's vegetarian.”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I love it! My husband doesn't like it so much because he's vegetarian.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great fish sandwich, but...”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Great fish sandwich, but corned beef, cabbage and champ, not too good. The beef was very dry, the cabbage tasted like it had been cooked in water rather than with the beef and seasoning. The champ tasted sour. I prefer colcannon. Servings were really big. There is a lot of food for the price.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Indianapolis
“Favorite Irish Pub”
Reviewed November 29, 2008

We have been to 9 Irish Brothers several times since it opened and have had a great experience each time. Our children go to Purdue, so we generally stop in on our way back home when the place is very crowded. We still get great sevrice. The owners seem to treat every one like family, and I mean that in a good way!

We've never been to Ireland, so we can't say how well it compares to an authentic Irish pub, but we love the atmoshere. We prefer it slighly over Irish pubs in the Indianapolis area, such as Claddaugh, and in South Bend, such as Fiddlers Hearth.

The fish and chips are excellent as are the wings. The Irish car bomb sauce is the best we have ever tasted. My husband loves the shepherd's pie and the Guiness stew. There is a great selection of beer.

Parking can be a pain. They offer valet usually. They directed us across the street the other day and we didn't have a problem, but we were a little nervous because we had heard previously cars would be towed. Maybe that has been worked out among owners. If so, that would be great as it is one of the few negatives there!