“Date Night/Lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Date Night/Lunch”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Don't let this buildings past fool you. This is the place to go if you are looking for a date night or nice lunch. The menu is varied and the food is fine dining. The prices make this affordable yet very pleasant. The server knew the whole menu and was able to answer all of our questions. Amazing and a must try.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Brooke7976

West Lafayette, Indiana
“Saturday night Out”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

The original owner who started the restaurant as Baja has returned and the reincarnation is Sunset Grill. It is an owner chef restaurant. My husband and I invited another couple to join us there. With this being Purdue's graduation Saturday, we were hoping we could get a table. As it turns out, this place is a well-kept secret, maybe too well kept. It is located at 1904 US 52 W, well off the beaten path of fine dining (tablecloths, candles and a bud vase with a rose), in West Lafayette. We had been to the original and liked it very much. The restaurant has been renovated with a bar and open dining area.

I had the Atlantic salmon with polenta and asparagus. The salmon's sauce was fragrant, delicate, light and tasty on a perfectly sautéed filet; the polenta triangle and grilled fresh asparagus were great accompaniments. The Malbec was a fine choice to go with the salmon, holding its own and intensifying the levels of flavor on the palate.

My husband and friends had the Alfredo, which came with about a half dozen shrimp. They liked it very much and found the sauce to be light, unlike some that are so heavy with flour thickening. We could not identify what the chef used to achieve this, but it was a very lovely sauce.

For dessert we shared an apple tart with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream, garnished with a handsomely sliced strawberry. Our server, Andy told us that the chef makes the pastry and uses a combination of green and red apples for the tart. The spices were well-done, allowing the apple to take charge of the experience.

Our server was very attentive and our food was ready in short order. I would say this restaurant compares favorably with Maza, another of West Lafayette's secrets, in quality of food, service, and pricing. The menus are very different though. Your dinner is specially prepared for you with fresh ingredients. The servings are generous and one of our party took home a portion of the Alfredo. If you want a quietly elegant dinner, this is your restaurant.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank kburbank7
West Lafayette
“Unexpected gem in the rough”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

A gem in the rough for sure!!!!!! I was expecting a breakfasty type place. Boy was I wrong!!! We walked in, the tables had were covered with cloth tablecloths and cloth napkins, our server Marcus was dressed in black pants, white shirt and black tie. My husband and I were there for lunch and we ordered the salmon with polenta and asparagus which usually comes sautéed but I asked for it to be grilled. "No problem". Cooked exactly the way I asked for it. It was delicious!!! My husband had the special which was a chicken mango salad with a spicy dressing and topped with avocado. A whole avocado sliced on top!, It was also equally as delicious. My husband and are what I call " food snobs" and we would never have expected the quality of food judging from the outside appearance of this place. It is between a storage facility and a gas station on 52. COMPLETELY BLEW MY MIND!!! EXCELLENT! They also have a beer and wine list!! We will return here with family and on our monthly dates for sure!!! I highly recommend. LOVE!!!!

• Visited April 2014