“Great Atmosphere and Good Food”
Review of Heisei Restaurant

Heisei Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 132 Restaurants in West Lafayette
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Great Atmosphere and Good Food”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Located in a strip mall near the large Pay Less grocery store, this places gives you very good vibes as soon as you walk in. The decor is very authentic with blond wood and simple elegance that you expect from good traditional Japanese design. There is a section with faux Japanese sitting even though you are actually not sitting on the floor but rather a raised platform with wells for your legs. For lunch, the sushi set was relatively small. The tempura shirmp was also a bit small. However, some dishes are very large, eg. the bento, the Katsu and Curry (huge) as was the katsu don. It is a bit hard to figure out what selections are smaller or bigger. I didn't particularly liked their salad dressing (no oil, short in acidity and flavor). Overall, the food was very good as was the service and the general comfort of the place. The best sushi in the Lafayette area is still Maru Sushi. Heisei's atmosphere is better. Prices are similar. I was very satisfied here.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank kawidd

• Korean first
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“World class sushi artistry, trapped in a strip mall, REALLY!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have had maki and nigiri-sushi all over the US and in Europe, to be honest, chef Jose's sushi at HeiSei was at the top! I am anxious to try the "make-your-own-soup" dinner. If only I had found sushi-sublime sooner as I have nearly finished grad school at Purdue! Try it; I doubt that you will be disappointed. I'll have a hard time avoiding on return trips to campus :). Seating capacity is low, plan ahead or go early if you bring a group >6-8.

• Visited August 2011
Lafayette, Indiana
“Great Sushi in Boiler Country”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The Heisei has great sushi at a reasonable price. We have had many of the different rolls and have not been displeased with any of them. I have tried other high priced sushi in Great Lafayette and Heisei is the best. The downfall to this restaurant is it's in a strip mall and the seating areas are too small to handle the large crowds on Friday and Saturday nights (it's crowded because it's good!). Calling head for take-out is a good idea if you dont' want to wait.

• Visited May 2011
West Lafayette, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I love this restaurant, at least when the parents come to town :)”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I wish I could eat at Heisei all the time. Sadly, I can only afford it when the parents are paying!

• Visited January 2011
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Decent Sushi-horrible service”
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I have eating at Heisei a few times, and the service is my biggest problem. I have waited 20 minutes before being waited on (during a non-busy time) and often have to ask for another waiter to bring my check.

The food is ok, pretty expensive, and nothing truly unique. Stopped going here now, I prefer Maru