“Good food in a lovely setting”

McGraw's Steak Chop and Fish House
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Good food in a lovely setting”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I visited McGraw's for the first time the other night for a job-related dinner. We got there before sunset, so I was able to enjoy the lovely view of the Wabash River and the surrounding fall foliage. I ordered the NY strip, which was a perfect medium-rare and quite tasty. We also indulged in some desserts (bread pudding, carrot cake) which were also very good.

The service was terrific. The young woman who served our table was attentive without being overbearing, and her timing for refills, plate collection, and inquiries about our needs was perfect. As all good service does, she improved the quality of our experience.

This was by no means the best meal I've ever had, but it was certainly above average. Given the nice setting, the generally reasonable prices (not inexpensive, but not overpriced), and the excellent service, I expect to return.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank indybadger

• Korean first
“Great impromptu dinner and visit”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stopped by to have drinks and dinner during visit to Purdue earlier this week. The menu and wine list are extensive. The owner, Todd, was very generous with his time as well as some tastes of his better wine selections. The food was well prepared and presented with good value. The setting along the river is quite nice. The renovation of this old restaurant has been nicely done and judging by the many locals at dinner, it has maintained a high acceptance within the community.

Look forward to stopping by again on our twice a year visit to Purdue.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Callantine
Lafayette, Indiana
“Hidden gem along the Walbash”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Wonderful food and service and would recommend reservations with a window view. I've never had the same meal twice and everything I've chosen has been wonderful. My favorite is their Honey Bourdon Salmon. I've had salmon in many restaurants in many cities and this my favorite. Normally I never get a dessert but this is the only place where I splurge. Great wine selection too.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank WillowIN54
“Expensive and Not Good”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I tried this place twice and didn't like it either time. I recommend whatever you order do not order the ribeye. You will be sadl disappointed. It is not flavorful by any means and is expensive. If you are looking for a good steak go to Bistro 501 and get the fillet mignon.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Be11e
Las Vegas
“outstanding”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

While in Purdue celebrating my son's graduation from Purdue, I wanted to take my family out for a nice dinner. I could not have made a better choice. We made a reservation (thank goodness, because as we were eating it got quite busy) and we were lucky enough to sit by the window. What a nice view! The service is outstanding. The food was delicious- probably the best steak i have had in ten years! I had a tom collins, and it was fabulous! The desserts were to die for! It is, as expected, about 40-50 dollars per peron- but that was for everything from mixed drinks, to appetizers, dinner, and dessert! And as I said, every aspect was amazing! The only negative is that now that my son is graduating, i probably wont be back! love love love this place!

• Visited May 2012