WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in West Lafayette
South Bend, Indiana
“Worst Experience Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Unfortunately, I find the need to report that this was the worst hotel experience that my husband and I have ever experienced. We checked a few minutes before their normal check in time. When we got to our room we found out that this non-smoking hotel was just the opposite. The room was so badly filled with odors from smoking that we couldn't stand it. We reported it and the front desk person said that the hotel was full and she didn't have another room for us. She was kind and apologized, but her hands were tied. She made note on our reservation that we were not the smokes. She did explain that some construction people smoke in a lot of the rooms and it has been a continuous problems. We could smell a smoke odor in the hallway towards the end we were at. Our room was much worse that the hallway. Although we tried to use the room, my husband had to leave it for some fresh air at about 3 am and went to the lobby. I opened the window to bring in some fresh air and froze myself out. While in the lobby, my husband was told, by another front desk employee, that the hotel has some problems with construction people that smoke. However, since it is a non-smoking facility, they will be force to call the police and fine the previous person who rented the room. She knew who “he” was. She as going to talk to the manager and see if we could be compensated for the miserable night we had spent. She also explained the cleaning person can’t smell and has a gadget that registers smoke. She was so busy getting the rooms ready for the next bunch of people that she probably skipped that step. We explained to her that the smoke smell was not from someone smoking in the room for just a night or two. We never smelled smoke that strong. When my husband, called the manager on Monday, he was spoken to very rudely. The manager lied, based on what both of the front desk girls had said that they knew who had used the room. He told us that the room had not been used in 2 weeks and that no one has ever complained about the room. He also said he wasn't doing anything for us and that he didn't care if we told anyone about the his hotel. One thing we are curious about is if your company normally does business with these kinds of hotels? Can you assist us in getting a refund from this manager? I did ask my husband to not contact the BBB or anyone else until I had a chance to contact you. It really seemed like the only fair way to go about this.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Maxdout38

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lancaster, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed here on the way to Chicago. The hotel was easy to find from the expressway. Unfortunately, a previous traveler had smoked in the non-smoking room. When I told the staff they immediately offered us another room but we were too tired to move. So, they told us how to make the air more comfortable. In the morning they told us that they had found the previous occupants in a database, had posted the complaint, and those travelers would be boycotted from future stays in non-smoking hotels. I appreciated the concern the staff showed to us.

The room was large, very clean, and recently refurbished. The shower was strong and hot. Our room faced the back and was very quiet. The continental breakfast was adequate to our needs.

Overall, I was happy and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Olathe, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Cheap, cheap, cheap....but with it comes noise - the air conditioner kind of drowns it out. Over for the Purdue game and only place I could find for the night. Moved to the Sheraton the next day. Not much more I can say about this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JimOB1

Travelers are raving about these West Lafayette hotels

Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I've stayed at nice hotels and much worse. It is what you would expect from the name. It was cheap and had zero amenities. If you just need a cheap place to stay for the night and a hot shower while you are visiting Purdue the Econo Lodge will fulfill that need.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Larry C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I'm a Purdue grad and brought some friends down for the Purdue v. Michigan football game. This hotel brought our weekend down a notch. I am ashamed that I graduated from a university that has businesses that are so cut throat and our only there to profit off the students families and friends that are borrowing money from banks for student loans. This hotel charged me $180 to hold a room that I NEVER CHECKED IN TO for the evening. I see the typical starting rate is $50 a night.... They charged me 3x that much just to RESERVE a room. What a lazy society we live in that individuals such as Jack Patel will charge 3x the going rate for a room he didn't have to lift a finger, oh wait he lifted his finger to press enter on his computer and charge my card $180!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank MikeMosher
DEFUNIAK SPRINGS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was the second time we stayed at this location, and will stay again. Very clean, good value, within walking distance of a Wendys and Taco Bell. Staff was very friendly and they were quick to help you with any thing you needed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rdaniel911
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were in area for graduation party..I made several reservations for family members which had to be changed more than twice. Staff were extremely helpful and considerate when calling them to change the reservations.. In addition when a hair dryer didn't work at 10:30 at night, staff found me one that did. Room was clean. For travelers it is just off interstate 65 which makes it convenient location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Inn Lafayette
Comfort Inn Lafayette
#9 of 21 in Lafayette
Hilton Garden Inn - West Lafayette

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!