“great stay”

West Baden Springs Hotel
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Went for Sat. night to see Kenny Rogers in concert, very good but only 1hr and 15 minutes, I am not sure he wasn't ill. The hotel and spa were great have stayed before and the food service is kicking it up a notch. We ate 2 meals in atrium at bar restaurant. We had Tenderloin Sandwich meal and Potato Skins were both very good, grabbed a lite supper before concert, Club was good and artichoke dip, fruit cup. Spa was great had stone massage. Outside room is a must for more tranquil quite room choice. Bought golf stuff at Pete Dye course.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 10, 2011

Our first choice was the nearby French Lick Resort and Casino, but we had to "settle" for this resort because the other was sold out. West Baden is definitely more expensive, but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for". We got two balcony rooms that overlooked the beautiful atrium. Both rooms, as well as the bathrooms, were huge and very clean and the bedding was fantastic. The rooms also had a refrigerator, plush bathrobes and free wireless, all of which were very much appreciated and enjoyed!

We spent some time in the atrium on the comfy lounge chairs to listen to a wonderful jazz band. Our only complaint - they didn't play long enough! The indoor pool and the sauna were wonderful and very much appreciated in the middle of January.

When I made the reservation, I asked how far away we would be from the casino. After speaking with the agent, I was under the impression that we would be closer than we actually were. The casino is a good mile or so away. The hotel provides free shuttle service, but be prepared to wait. We went back and forth a handful of times and waited anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes each time. It would be nice if they ran the shuttle a little more frequently.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank drbvr
FrenchLickResort, Public Relations Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

We are thrilled that you got a chance to experience the West Baden Springs Hotel (even if it was just because the French Lick Springs Hotel was sold-out). Aren't the balcony rooms just delightful? I know I am partial but I always say those beds at West Baden are the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the shuttle service. We do our best to schedule our drivers appropriately but sometimes there is a slight delay.

Thanks again for the kind words and positive review!

Dyan Duncan

Reviewed February 6, 2011

We stayed at West Baden Springs in early December and had a fabulous overnight stay. We had read about the hotel and sought it out specifically. We loved everything about this property, but admittedly in December it was not possible to play golf or swim in the outdoor pool. We found the staff very gracious and rightfully proud of this hotel. It seemed like a family with everything working hard to provide guests with the best experience. We loved, loved, loved sitting in the overstuffed sofas in the atrium as night fell while we nursed glasses of wine and snacks. We did not eat in the specialty restaurant because we simply were not that hungry, but we did enjoy the pub food available in the atrium. We look forward to returning in nicer weather, although we truly appreciated the solitude of this property off-season. It was so lovely!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kre8ive
FrenchLickResort, Public Relations Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share details about your trip to the West Baden Springs Hotel in December. I was especially taken by your comment about the staff feeling like family. That really means a lot to us!

Welcome to our extended family; we hope to see you again soon!

Dyan Duncan

Reviewed January 19, 2011

I was given a gift card for a two night stay and a spa experience. Upon check-in I was asked for a credit card for incidentals knowing my gift card would cover all the expenses I submitted my debit card. Well lo and behold the entire purchase was applied to my debit card, which in turn made my checking account monies unavailable to me for 4 days... I had numerous calls to the resort and to my bank and finally got the mess straightened out, One of the charges on my card went in at 4:50 a.m. on the day I checked out and I didn't check out until 11:00 a.m. when I presented this information to a representative of the resort, all I got was, "I'm not for sure what happened there." Needless to say the trip was paid for in November and wasn't used until January, so basically they had my money and still charged me. Although I did receive numerous apologies from the staff, I was never asked if there was a way they could fix this problem, other than offering to call my bank to fix it, of which I absolutely declined, I wanted to make sure the problem was resolved on my own. In short, beautiful facility but watch how you pay for the experience, it could very easily ruin it all.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MLH6185
FrenchLickResort, Guest Relations Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

We would like to thank you for taking the time express your comments, regarding your recent visit here with us at West Baden Springs Hotel. At the West Baden Springs Hotel we strive to provide quality customer service to our guests. We realize that part of fulfilling that goal is not only meeting guest’s requests and expectations, but exceeding them.

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations in regards to your experience with using a debit card at our establishment. We do our best to notify guests about the parameters of using their debit card for incidentals and it is listed on our registration form that guests sign when they are checking in. The policy states: “I understand that by using my Credit, Debit, Check, or Pre-Paid Card that the resort will immediately hold funds equal to the amount of my stay plus estimated incidental charges. This hold will be released immediately at check out by the resort if I decide to settle my account by an alternative method of payment. However, the funds will be held by my financial institution for up to 14 business days based on their policies and the agreement I have met with them.”

I know we did offer contact your bank to assist in resolving the issue but you were not comfortable with that procedure. We do regret this issue causing any inconvenience to you and are thrilled that you have already made a reservation to stay with us again.

West Baden Management

Reviewed January 4, 2011

We agonized over whether to stay here or the Comfort Inn, which is cheaper and has free breakfast. We are so glad we stayed at the West Baden Hotel. It was glorious. We were upgraded to an atrium room with two beds since it was our anniversary. We stayed with our baby and three-year old. They don't have cribs, which is slightly annoying, but we brought our own pack and play. The hotel seemed to be almost empty (on a Sunday night in early Jan) and was beautiful and peaceful, still decorated for Christmas. We had the pool to ourselves and really felt like we were on vacation. It's not cheap, but for a treat it's totally worth it. There is a little fridge and a coffee maker in the room. We did not eat in the hotel, but had yummy takeout pizza from Chicago Pizza nearby. Not much to do in the area, we just went to enjoy the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Trvlz
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This was my third sojourn to West Baden Springs. The first during the month of December. The Christmas decorations were stunning. So happy to have had an atrium view room to see the Christmas tree in all its splender. As always, the staff was so friendly and courteous. I found no reason to be disappointed in any area. One reveiwer picked apart everything from the furniture to the speed of the hot water. I too, stayed on the fifth floor and even though it may have taken a little longer for the water to get hot, I'm not going to let that stop me from coming back. The bed's are so comfortable, you don't want to get up! Relaxing in the atruim, having a glass of wine is a great way to spend an afternoon.
I could go on, but I can only say that I look forward to my next vist!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank OldHickory865
Reviewed December 26, 2010

We really want to love this place, even though it is in the middle of nowhere. The restoration of this landmark is outstanding--A+ . It is worth seeing this place....for a day or two. The bed is comfortable. No extra charge for internet. Hotel is non-smoking. There is an indoor large-sized pool with an excellent whirlpool. But it is shallow--don't try a flip turn. The staff are generally friendly--but seem to be disorganized in terms of systems. We think their pricing is just odd, given that the place is empty at Christmas. Maybe they don't need to be full, because of the casino that's near-by.

I am comparing this hotel to other destination hotels we have been in the US and Europe. It might be worth one night. DO NOT stay more days. Go to The American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin--that place will cost you an extra $20-50 a night, but be worth it. There is zero comparison of the spa at Kohler with the spa here even though prices are similar.

But. as I type, I am sitting on one of the giant bed cushions, because the furniture in the room, aside from the bed, would rate an "F" in terms of comfort. Indeed, my husband (tall) and I (short) wonder who bought the furniture and for whom. It has to be the absolutely the most uncomfortable hotel for sitting we have ever been in. We appreciate that they are trying to keep the historic flavor, but why do the chairs have to be too short or too tall for the tables. Why are the cushions looking baggy and worn in the great (and it is great) dome area? Even the spa area is poorly designed.

The spa. Don't bother. Go to American Club or to places in the Door Peninsula; go to the Kempinski or the Jagdhof in Neustiff Austria. My husband took a scrub and when it came time to shower they had him return to the dressing room...where the one shower in the men's area was already in use. The, the therapist called in that he was running late and the treatment would have to be shortened. She corrected her mistake, but the damage was done. My massage was nice enough (headed table), but the "relaxation" room had cold air blowing in. I took my after massage tea to the sauna to warm up. At least mine was warm; men's wasn't and no one pointed it out to him how to turn it on (and why have it cold anyway?). At the desk, they mixed up who was supposed to deal with us. I was expecting a woman and got a man (not a problem, but my point is the lack of managerial controls); husband was expecting a man and got a woman. They seemed confused by what time they were expecting him.

We took one dinner at the "fancy" restaurant. My feet didn't reach the floor and the chair was uncomfortable for my husband. Food was OK but wildly overpriced. They have a Midwestern way with vegetables in that there aren't many of them and they are cooked to death (not so at American Club, which is just excellent). A big plus in our room was a minibar area with a fridge. We bought sandwich meat and just did lunch in the hotel and will be exploring more now that the snow has left and Christmas is over. This is a place that would greatly benefit from including a free breakfast as part of their price--like they do in most of Europe and in places like the Hampton inn (where we would move to were there one here).

We had a great person bring our bags and get us oriented (Clarence). We didn't tip him enough and plan to rectify that later. On the other hand, as I write, it is 2:30 pm and the room has not been made up. They give one wash cloth per person per day. Why? Instead of the little tubs of creamer, they have a whitener--at $200 a night and higher. While we have not complained about it, the fifth floor seems to have trouble getting hot water. It takes about 3-5 minutes of running water to get some and then it rarely is ever all that hot. Could be because there are so few staying at Christmas.

We think, because it is the holidays, that they might be training people. There were five people waiting around at one eating spot for three tables. If not, then we think they should cut staff 10% and do something about details other than human service that also mark the difference between good and excellent.

They have a golf course, though, alas, the weather did not cooperate. We looked at the indoor driving range and putting green at the sister hotel in French Lick. Driving range looked about 100 feet, if that, most of the building is for tennis. Putting green was laughable. My pro shop in our little town has a little practice place inside to help folks who want to buy a new putter that's almost of the size of this indoor one. Nevertheless, I'll be giving both a go soon.

We may yet move out, but sometimes places begin to grow on you. So, we will be patient...and I should call the desk about the water.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 5 in Bedford
Holiday Inn Express Bedford

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!