“extraordinary opulence”

West Baden Springs Hotel
Reviewed August 17, 2009

this was our 4th trip to west baden and of course it did not disappoint! the resort is marvelous! the rooms immaculate, the grounds amazing, the tanquility wonderful! it is the very essence of grandeur with its lavish gardens and breathtaking interior domed atrium. This magnificent hotel is located 1 mile from the French Lick casino (free shuttle), Patoka Lake (rent a pontoon! we did and had a blast!) national forest park, and the charming town of Paoli. With its quaint little shops located on the town's square! An indoor waterpark just opened this past spring is right across the road from the West Baden! Fun for all!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank survivor3x
Write a ReviewReviews (1,882)

Reviewed August 16, 2009

I learned of this resort from an article published in a magazine. The atrium is amazing. Pictures can't do it justice...it's much more magnificent in person! The history of the hotel and the restoration process is very interesting. Food was excellent and the spa experience was fantastic! We took the shuttle to the French Lick Resort and Casino. It was very handy and the shuttle runs every 10-15 minutes 24 hours a day. The rooms were clean, spacious, and had a separate shower and bathtub. This was our "splurge" during our vacation and was definitely worth it! Elegant, accommodating, and relaxing. We highly recommend this resort. Would love to go back for a longer stay sometime!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NETravelDuo
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We were just at West Baden with a party of 15 for a celebration of my father's 85th birthday. We had family members young and old there, and the resort did whatever they could to accomodate our needs for fun activities as well as celebratory events. They worked with us to make everyone comfortable and happy. We found the hotel itself gorgeous, full of historic interest and comfortable, with great amenities and spa. it was wonderful whether you wanted to cuddle with a good book, relax by the wonderful pool, get a massage, have a wonderful meal, or take a horseback ride or walk. The hotel itself is stunning, a real historic gem, with wonderful historic tours of the place. we would all love to go back tomorrow! We loved it!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank bredflame
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed three days and two nights at the West Baden Hotel for our recent wedding anniversary. Our room was upgraded for our stay and every part of the experience from the meals, to the spa, to the casino was first class. The staff was very helpful and friendly, even the shuttle drivers and pit bosses were accommodating. Our visit had elements of casino excitement intermixed with relaxing at the spa or resting in the rocking chairs after a great meal. We are looking forward to returning next year. Thanks West Baden for a great weekend.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eugene3122
Reviewed June 14, 2009

My wife and I live in Southern Indiana and were about to head out to the California coast for a long weekend when we had to scratch our plans at the last minute. Still trying to salvage the weekend, we turned to West Baden for a two night stay (Sunday and Monday). The place does live up to its hype and we were impressed that such a fine and luxurious destination could be found in this quiet, yet scenic part of Southern Indiana. In fact my wife and I both agreed that it would take minimal effort to imagine yourself in one of the top hotels along the French or Italian Riviera.

In regards to the room, we decided to pay a little extra and get a room on the interior part of the hotel, overlooking the rotunda. The room was beautiful and spacious with two double windows/doors that provided nice views of the rotunda floor but unfortunately also allowed a lot of noise to filter into the room as well; early Monday morning the hotel staff began constructing the hotel's Christmas tree in the center of the rotunda, making it almost impossible to sleep. One could only imagine trying to relax or sleep while a party, wedding, or special event took place inside the rotunda. While we were happy to have had our rotunda view experience, next time we'll be staying in a garden view room.

We did enjoy the spa during our stay, along with the indoor pool. There are several restaurants/pubs located on the properties of both West Baden and French Lick, however we were very disappointed with the menu options...everything seems to be geared towards the meat and potato loving customer. I love steak/burgers as much as the next guy, but for every meal? I did let my wife talk me into afternoon tea in the rotunda (it's usually served in the restaurant but the staff was nice enough to serve us under the dome) and it was tasteful, delicious, and filling. Neither my wife nor I gamble or play golf, the two biggest entertainment draws to the place, but we both had a very nice time, taking long walks throughout the grounds, swimming, and relaxing in one of the many rocking chairs on the front porch.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shytown
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I came to the area to visit French Lick Casino. So that is where I stayed. French Lick was a very bad experience (both the hotel and casino). The best part of my trip was my tour of West Baden Springs Hotel. This place is amazing. The atrium is stunning. The restaurant that serves you in the atrium was excellent. This place was designed by an artistic genius. The gardens were beautiful. I felt a little under dressed in such opulence. I will definitely stay here on my next visit. Skip French Lick and take the money you'd inevitably lose at the casinos and spend it here instead.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Spent memorial day weekend at the West Baden. flew in a private plane to French lick airport, where we had arranged a rental car with Enterprise. the Car - actually would un being a truck - was waiting for us when we arrived.

Loaded up and dove the 10 minutes to West Baden. Note- probably didn't need the rental car - there is shuttle availability throughout the resort and ot the golf courses. Not much to see which would not be within walking distance of one of the shuttle stops.

We had a deluxe balcony room at the West Baden - rooms were fairly large with a comfortable king size bed and large bathroom with a seperate toilet room, shower, bathtub, and two sinks. Room also had a mini-fridge and wet bar. Rooms were a bit pricey, in my opinion - but we loved the atrium view and learning all the history behind the property.

Restaurants were excellent. Spent several evenings in the casino - won some money on slots, lost it on craps - nice dealers. Drink service pretty much non-existent, and you do have to pay for drinks while gambling.

Golfed the first day at the 9 hole course - nice course in good condition. Played the second day at the Donald ross course- beautiful course - very challenging greens to say the least. They have a nice restuarant at the course, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reasonably priced with good food.

Overall a great stay at the west baden - we will go back. The casino is at the French lick resort. We ate dinner at the french lick twice - steakhouse was good. I don't recommend the pizza. Although we didnt' see the rooms at this resort, i got the impression it attracted many more kids and was not as nice as the west baden. Feel free to PM me if questios.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 mi away
French Lick Springs Hotel
French Lick Springs Hotel
#2 of 5 in French Lick

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!