“Great Place to Stay, Play, and Relax.”

West Baden Springs Hotel
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed three days and two nights at the West Baden Hotel for our recent wedding anniversary. Our room was upgraded for our stay and every part of the experience from the meals, to the spa, to the casino was first class. The staff was very helpful and friendly, even the shuttle drivers and pit bosses were accommodating. Our visit had elements of casino excitement intermixed with relaxing at the spa or resting in the rocking chairs after a great meal. We are looking forward to returning next year. Thanks West Baden for a great weekend.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eugene3122

Reviewed June 14, 2009

My wife and I live in Southern Indiana and were about to head out to the California coast for a long weekend when we had to scratch our plans at the last minute. Still trying to salvage the weekend, we turned to West Baden for a two night stay (Sunday and Monday). The place does live up to its hype and we were impressed that such a fine and luxurious destination could be found in this quiet, yet scenic part of Southern Indiana. In fact my wife and I both agreed that it would take minimal effort to imagine yourself in one of the top hotels along the French or Italian Riviera.

In regards to the room, we decided to pay a little extra and get a room on the interior part of the hotel, overlooking the rotunda. The room was beautiful and spacious with two double windows/doors that provided nice views of the rotunda floor but unfortunately also allowed a lot of noise to filter into the room as well; early Monday morning the hotel staff began constructing the hotel's Christmas tree in the center of the rotunda, making it almost impossible to sleep. One could only imagine trying to relax or sleep while a party, wedding, or special event took place inside the rotunda. While we were happy to have had our rotunda view experience, next time we'll be staying in a garden view room.

We did enjoy the spa during our stay, along with the indoor pool. There are several restaurants/pubs located on the properties of both West Baden and French Lick, however we were very disappointed with the menu options...everything seems to be geared towards the meat and potato loving customer. I love steak/burgers as much as the next guy, but for every meal? I did let my wife talk me into afternoon tea in the rotunda (it's usually served in the restaurant but the staff was nice enough to serve us under the dome) and it was tasteful, delicious, and filling. Neither my wife nor I gamble or play golf, the two biggest entertainment draws to the place, but we both had a very nice time, taking long walks throughout the grounds, swimming, and relaxing in one of the many rocking chairs on the front porch.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shytown
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I came to the area to visit French Lick Casino. So that is where I stayed. French Lick was a very bad experience (both the hotel and casino). The best part of my trip was my tour of West Baden Springs Hotel. This place is amazing. The atrium is stunning. The restaurant that serves you in the atrium was excellent. This place was designed by an artistic genius. The gardens were beautiful. I felt a little under dressed in such opulence. I will definitely stay here on my next visit. Skip French Lick and take the money you'd inevitably lose at the casinos and spend it here instead.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Spent memorial day weekend at the West Baden. flew in a private plane to French lick airport, where we had arranged a rental car with Enterprise. the Car - actually would un being a truck - was waiting for us when we arrived.

Loaded up and dove the 10 minutes to West Baden. Note- probably didn't need the rental car - there is shuttle availability throughout the resort and ot the golf courses. Not much to see which would not be within walking distance of one of the shuttle stops.

We had a deluxe balcony room at the West Baden - rooms were fairly large with a comfortable king size bed and large bathroom with a seperate toilet room, shower, bathtub, and two sinks. Room also had a mini-fridge and wet bar. Rooms were a bit pricey, in my opinion - but we loved the atrium view and learning all the history behind the property.

Restaurants were excellent. Spent several evenings in the casino - won some money on slots, lost it on craps - nice dealers. Drink service pretty much non-existent, and you do have to pay for drinks while gambling.

Golfed the first day at the 9 hole course - nice course in good condition. Played the second day at the Donald ross course- beautiful course - very challenging greens to say the least. They have a nice restuarant at the course, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reasonably priced with good food.

Overall a great stay at the west baden - we will go back. The casino is at the French lick resort. We ate dinner at the french lick twice - steakhouse was good. I don't recommend the pizza. Although we didnt' see the rooms at this resort, i got the impression it attracted many more kids and was not as nice as the west baden. Feel free to PM me if questios.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scubachick_7
Reviewed May 4, 2009

My husband and I visited West Baden last May for our anniversary and I can't tell you how blown away I was with the hotel's beauty, service, atomosphere, etc. This time, I would have to say I have never had a more unpleasant evening in a hotel stay. We stayed Friday through Sunday and our Friday evening and Saturday morning was very pleasant, but I could sense that pleasantness was getting ready to crash when I started hearing buzz about the wedding and reception that was going to take place that evening in the atrium. Beginning sometime early Saturday afternoon, one half of the atrium was closed off to guests to set up for this reception. I commented to my husband that I thought that was a little intrusive of regular guests to not be able to enjoy the entire atrium because of this reception. In fact, once the wedding/reception began, the entire atrium was off limits to guests not invited to this wedding. After seeing the final setup (complete with dance floor), we commented that we were actually glad to have an outside room on the fifth floor so that we would not have to hear any of the music from this reception. After returning to our room somewhat early as we needed to get up around 6:30 the next morning to leave, the music and dancing started and we couldn't believe how loud it was in our outside room. I can't imagine what it would have sounded like if we had had an atrium view room. After a couple of hours of this, and, of course, not being able to sleep, we finally called the front desk asking if there was any idea of when this reception would be over to which we were told 1:00 AM. At 1:00 AM, the music did stop (as we were STILL awake having to listen to it) and then all the wedding guests staying at the hotel started to gradually make their ways to their rooms which meant they were talking, laughing, etc through the hallways. This went on until about 1:30 AM. Needless to say, we weren't very well rested nor in a very good mood when we checked out the following morning around 7:00 AM. When the front desk attendant asked us how our stay was, we let her know that we were extremely unhappy with the whole situation. We were then told that all guests were supposed to have been informed of the wedding when booking their rooms (which we were not) and we were given half off of our Saturday night's room rate (which I thought was a little chintzy as well. Why not give us the whole night complementary since they did indeed ruin it for us). It's only been one day since this fiasco, but I am still reeling with disbelief that this happened to my long awaited weekend getaway. I had been so looking forward to this stay and I left on Sunday morning thinking that I never wanted to go back to this hotel. Quite an extreme....before the trip, I couldn't wait to get there, after the trip, I hope I never see the place again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sdh40272
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I just returned from spending four days at the West Baden for my 30th birthday and it was certainly one of the most relaxing trips I've ever taken. The hotel is stunning and lives up to the pictures online. It was like staying in a peaceful resort. We spent our time lounging in the atrium on the couches or outside on the front porch reading in rocking chairs. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and quiet. I never once heard other guests on my floor closing their doors. I was definitely one of the younger guests staying with them. The hotel seems to attract an older crowd likely from all of the history involved with the hotel. My only complaint is the service. I would say it was average at best, which I think is disappointing in a hotel such as this.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank KYtraveler79
Reviewed March 31, 2009

We were on our way back from visiting family in Nashville and took a detour to the French Lick, Indiana area. After reviewing reviews on this site we booked a king room at the West Baden Springs Hotel. From the moment we arrived we were treated kindly. The bellman, Ben, was very outgoing and also knowledgeable about the history and the restoration of the hotel. We were blown away by the open dome and the gorgeous furnishings. We checked out the small, intimate library where I used the complimentary computer while my husband caught up on what was happening in sports on a large flat screen television. After reviewing the menus, we opted to go over to the sister property (French Lick Resort and Casino)and check out their options. The shuttle is free and we never waited more than five minutes to ride anywhere on the property. While the other hotel is beautiful, it is clearly more focused on two groups....families with children or casino patrons. The buffet looked like a typical casino buffet and Pluto's, billed as a pizzeria, was simply a take out type place, adjacent to the bowling alley. Great place for people with kids, but not for us. We hopped back on the shuttle and asked the driver for his recommendation. He didn't hesitate, saying "Hagen's", which is at the club house at the golf course. We had a great, and reasonable meal and when we asked our waitress to call the shuttle, it was waiting by the time we had paid the bill.

The room itself is spacious, with a huge bathroom with two sinks, nice linens and also very quiet. We were told that West Baden typically gets less full than the other property, which was fine with us. We would definitely go back, especially when the weather is nicer and gardens,golf courses, and stables can be enjoyed. Although we didn't use the pool area or spa services, we checked it out and it seemed very nice.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
French Lick Springs Hotel
French Lick Springs Hotel
#2 of 5 in French Lick

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!