WINNER WONDERLAND

“A Gem From Another Time Brought Back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Baden Springs Hotel

West Baden Springs Hotel
Kentucky
“A Gem From Another Time Brought Back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Wanted a place to go midweek for a overnight getaway. Chose this truly unique hotel. Although the nearby French Lick Hotel and Casino, are just a short walk away, we opted to spend a few more dollars, to stay here.The place is truly outstanding! From the room accommodations, to the staff, to the food. Everything was just wonderful. The hotel has been restored to it's previous glory. The grounds and gardens are beautifully kept. If you go, get a room facing the atrium.

Room Tip: Ask for an atrium room.
1 Thank westernsky1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Korean first
Owensboro, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I did a last minute getaway. We chose the more expensive West Baden hotel over the French Lick hotel because we wanted a quite, adult getaway. I have been to high end hotels in Beverly Hills and New York and the West Baden hotel rivals the best the country has to offer. The only hotel I can compare West Baden to is the Beverly Hills hotel. It is private, quaint and classy. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel grounds are historic and the garden makes for a nice romantic walk. We spent most of our time lounging by the pool. The pool itself is fairly small but the lounge chairs are very comfortable. The restaurants are excellent and the casino at the French Lick hotel (a short shuttle ride) made for some great adult fun. If you can afford it, I recommend this hotel to anyone.

2 Thank Jerm55555
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is by far the nicest, cleanest, most gorgeous hotel we have stayed at. We come here a couple to few times a year. The staff is all very friendly and helpful. The atrium is a wonder to behold on its own. We enjoy both the countryside view rooms as well as the atrium balcony rooms. We usually alternate. Lunch at Ballard's in the atrium is always good, though a bit slow, but we don't mind the scenery and people watching while we wait. We went to Sinclair's for dinner once but weren't overly impressed. I highly recommend hopping on a shuttle to go dine at 1875: The Steakhouse over at French Lick Springs. They have the best filet! It is a very enjoyable two hour meal experience. If you need to cool down, take a swim in the gorgeous indoor pool, or order some ice cream from Xanadu from the outside order window on the verandah, then sit in a rocker and enjoy it. Breakfast room service is delicious. Just walking the grounds and sunken gardens is very relaxing. I always see a bunch of deer. The historic walking tour is fascinating. Even just relaxing in the elegant rooms is time well spent. There is so much to do here! My only complaint is that for such a nice place like this I would expect them to have more high end mattresses than they do. The beds aren't uncomfortable, but could be better. If you have a fur baby, this hotel is very dog friendly. There is a one time $75 pet fee. We got a welcome bag with a hotel logo water dish, wrapped milk bone and roll of baggies for clean ups. They even have a canine room service menu! (See pic) Most definitely a must experience hotel!

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, they are all interior atrium rooms.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Melody S
Shelbyville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Beautiful property and grounds. Dinner at Sinclair's was very good. Spa experience was very relaxing. Suggest making dinner and spa reservations well in advance of arrival to get the time you desire. We will definitely be back and book a room overlooking the atrium.

Room Tip: Book a room on the 4th or 6th floor with balcony overlooking the atrium.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank 230Nancy
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

On July 12 I attended the wedding of my granddaughter, which was held on the veranda of the West Baden Springs hotel. The staff did an excellent job of handling all the arrangements, including preparation and serving of the dinner. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. I have traveled extensively in both the U.S. and abroad and have stayed in some very nice hotels, but none like this one. My room was beautifully furnished.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New Albany, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Several years ago on a trip to the French Lick/West Baden Springs area my wife and I toured the abandoned and sadly in disrepair West Baden Springs hotel. The plan at the time was to restore the property to its original brilliance. Recently my wife and I made plans to re-visit the property and see the transformation.

Words cannot truly do justice for this marvel of engineering. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in America and I can say without reservation that West Baden Springs is FAR AND AWAY my favorite. You simply cannot capture the beauty of the property in photos. Once inside it is easy to forget that you are far from the glitz and glamor of Broadway or the elegance and panache of old Hollywood. West Baden Springs delivers on every level with exceptional service, world class amenities, outstanding dining options and the most relaxing location I have yet to encounter. Our stay was so peaceful and refreshing my wife and I did something we have never done before at the end of a stay: we went to the car and loaded up to leave - looked at each other - and then promptly walked back to hotel, purchased a cup of coffee and sat down on the spacious veranda to soak in a few more moments of heaven. I always hate to have a wonderful stay come to an end, but neither my wife nor I wanted to leave. I suppose that's the most compelling argument I could make for why you should pay a visit to Southern Indiana and discover this Eighth Wonder of The World. I checked it off of my bucket list only to add it back in a few more times. We will definitely be back.

Location
8 Thank Mike B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

A very beautiful place with a wonderful staff. It was the place of my grandpa's first job, so it isn't only beautiful place it is a link in my family's history. The rooms are gorgeous and so are the grounds.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
Days Inn Jasper
Days Inn Jasper
#2 of 5 in Jasper

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!