“This is a "Bucket List" venue!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Baden Springs Hotel

West Baden Springs Hotel
New Albany, Indiana
“This is a "Bucket List" venue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Several years ago on a trip to the French Lick/West Baden Springs area my wife and I toured the abandoned and sadly in disrepair West Baden Springs hotel. The plan at the time was to restore the property to its original brilliance. Recently my wife and I made plans to re-visit the property and see the transformation.

Words cannot truly do justice for this marvel of engineering. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in America and I can say without reservation that West Baden Springs is FAR AND AWAY my favorite. You simply cannot capture the beauty of the property in photos. Once inside it is easy to forget that you are far from the glitz and glamor of Broadway or the elegance and panache of old Hollywood. West Baden Springs delivers on every level with exceptional service, world class amenities, outstanding dining options and the most relaxing location I have yet to encounter. Our stay was so peaceful and refreshing my wife and I did something we have never done before at the end of a stay: we went to the car and loaded up to leave - looked at each other - and then promptly walked back to hotel, purchased a cup of coffee and sat down on the spacious veranda to soak in a few more moments of heaven. I always hate to have a wonderful stay come to an end, but neither my wife nor I wanted to leave. I suppose that's the most compelling argument I could make for why you should pay a visit to Southern Indiana and discover this Eighth Wonder of The World. I checked it off of my bucket list only to add it back in a few more times. We will definitely be back.

8 Thank Mike B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

A very beautiful place with a wonderful staff. It was the place of my grandpa's first job, so it isn't only beautiful place it is a link in my family's history. The rooms are gorgeous and so are the grounds.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Melissa B
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Who would expect to find such a place in southern Indiana? It is a beautiful place with such an interesting history. We were not at all interested in the casino but found the grounds and the room at the West Baden Springs comfortable and relaxing. We wish we were able to spend more time there exploring the grounds and trying out the spa.

Room Tip: If you get an interior room, you can look into the beautiful atrium.
1 Thank planneroftrips
Satchel7426
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

A visit to French Lick is like doing time travel back to the Gilded Age of America. The West Baden Hotel in particular is absolutely stunning! The atrium in and of itself is amazing! It is 67 steps from one side to the other (so about 200 feet across) and approximately 100 feet high. At night the lights in the ceiling change color so be sure to have a drink at the bar in the lobby and just enjoy the entire experience.

All the hotel rooms are first class and the restaurants were all wonderful. The Casino was a bit of a disappointment because smoking was permitted but I realize many people still have the habit so they must accommodate.

If you play golf, the Ross Course is very enjoyable and challenging even though it is short by todays standards. This is because of all the elevation changes, rolling terrain, and undulations of the greens. The Dye Course is spectacular in every way! The conditioning, the layout, everything. Too bad the fee is so much. ($350) Oh well, it's a once in a lifetime place and should prove to be a good venue for the 2015 Sr. PGA Championship.

Bottom Line - It is pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the atrium are more expensive and you really don't spend that much time in your...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Satchel7426
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I'm so glad this hotel was brought back from the dead--it was reopened less than ten years ago. It has returned to its former glory, and what a glory it is--the atrium itself is a wonder! This is the perfect getaway place, to sip a drink in the atrium, read a book on one of the many rocking chairs on the large veranda or take a spa treatment at prices comparable to back home. They hold several special events and it would be worth it to schedule your trip during one of them--the next time I certainly will!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Vincennes, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Besides the elevator, who's key card slot doesn't seem to want to work, this hotel is amazing. We have stayed here several times and I am still always in awe of the beauty. This is a must see to really appreciate the grand beauty of this resort hotel. We will most definitely be back to stay.

Stayed July 2014
Indianapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

There are dogs everywhere. I saw dogs when checking in, in the atrium, at the pool, in the hotel hallways, in the gardens, and while walking around the property. Some are big dogs that the owners seem to be having a problem controlling. We were woke up by dogs barking in the atrium at 7:00 AM one morning so we were not free from the dog influence even when asleep in our room. Otherwise we love it there.

Room Tip: All rooms overlooking the atrium have some noise but it is usually worth it for the view of the atri...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank indy_golfer_317
Ken V, Guest Relations Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
I was concerned to hear about your experience with the noise, because we understand that one of the things you expect most when staying at a hotel is a good night's sleep. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the problems, although I know that does not change your experience. I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Baden Springs
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
Days Inn Jasper
Days Inn Jasper
#2 of 5 in Jasper

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!