“West Baden weekend”

West Baden Springs Hotel
Reviewed September 7, 2013

What a marvel. We really enjoyed staying at WB. There were lots of activities at both hotels. We walked the gardens, went to casino, and went to both hotels pools. There were lots of kids around but they kept them busy so it wasn't a problem at all. Lots of history and very interesting. Room was nice and staff was friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is an amazing historic architectural marvel that should be on the list of everyone who appriciates old school hotels list. The massive domed atrium is an amazing site to see and is in wonderful condition. I had a fourth floor balcony room overlooking the atrium and was glad I did. The interior rooms overlooking the stunning atrium are much better than the exterior rooms overlooking the parking lot. The entire property including the rooms has been beautifully restored. The staff was also very friendly. The resort may be a little (ok a lot) off the beaten path but its well worth a visit!

Room Tip: The interior rooms overlooking the atrium are the ones to choose.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wonderful resort! You can't help but to be amazed as you enter the unique, huge atrium of the hotel. It is beyond anything I have ever seen before. The rooms are beautiful, bathrooms are modern and updated, yet you can still sense the original architecture and the feeling of the time period. We did take one trip over to the French Lick, but I am very happy that my husband and I decided to spend our time at the West Baden. French Lick is more child centered with a lot of activities. West Baden is more adult-like. The pool was great and we really enjoyed our long weekend. We did not choose a room with a balcony. I will return for that. We had a room viewing the outside. It was very quiet and we had a peaceful stay. Some people said that the rooms with the balconies facing the atrium can be a little louder as you hear everything in the atrium.

Room Tip: The rooms with the balconies are amazing, however, I cannot vouch for the noise that you may experie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathyBill1
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is an absolute gem! My husband and I spent two nights here for our anniversary and were very impressed. The hotel has been beautifully restored. It's amazing to walk around the property and imagine what it must have been like over 100 years ago! Historic pictures and photos of the rennovation are framed throughout the hotel. We didn't have a chance to use the spa so we can't comment on their services. We did use the outdoor pool and it was very relaxing. There are plenty of lounge chairs and a nice area with umbrella tables nearby. The indoor pool looked great, too! Sinclair's dining room is an up-scale restaurant with a nice wine list and very good food. The duck appetizer was really good and our steaks were superb. After dinner, we enjoyed the ambiance in the atrium while listening to the piano player. Our room did not have a balcony but it did face the atrium which offered a very unique view. We took a shuttle to the French Lick Hotel and Casino. This hotel seemed to be more 'kid-friendly' with activities geared toward a family visit. The shuttle service was convenient and the drivers were friendly and informative. All of the staff members at the West Baden Springs Hotel were courteous and pleasant. The whole experience was wonderful and we will definitely return! My husband would like to golf on the gorgeous courses and I would like to spend some time at the spa! We have already recommended this destination to several friends and hope they enjoy their visit as much as we enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: We would definitely recommend an "interior" room that faces the atrium...very unique!
1  Thank Patty W
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is so wonderful with the atrium and the rooms. We had a 2-queen balcony room on the 4th floor. It was very comfortable with a large, large bathroom and there was a small refrigerator in the main room. We took the Historical Walking Tour of the grounds and learned fun facts about the building and it's owners. It lasts a little over an hour and is $10 per person.

We took was the Amish Plain and Simple Tour and HIGHLY recommend it. Norris, the guide, took us to 5 different farms in the community. We saw a leather shop, bakery, furniture, maple syrup shop and a weaving shop. Items can be purchased. Norris is very knowledgeable about the Amish and made sure we were respectful when we were with them and the children. Cameras are not allowed. He also gave us some history as we drove through Hoosier National Forrest. The tour is 2 1/2 hours and is $20 per person. It is well worth it. This tour is new for West Baden, only started this summer, but I hope it will become an activity offered by the hotel.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are on the 4th and 6th floors. Even though it was a hot Labor Day weekend, it was comf...
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at the west baden springs on dec. 26, 2011, but I've been hearing posts that say that this place is less than 5 stars; and I want to say that the west baden springs is not less than 5 stars. To be 100% honest, it's one of the best places to stay.
TO THE WEST BADEN SPRINGS HOTEL;
I am truly sorry that people have been saying bad things about your hotel; even though I stayed here almost 2 years ago, I truly believe that this place is special; I want to thank everyone who works at west baden hotel for their efforts at making everyone's stay special; the rooms were immaculate, the staff was excellent, and the hotel is just astonishing! Again, I sincerely apologize to the west baden hotel. Thank you for making my stay exceptional.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

So the hotel is literally right on the border of being excellent but the missteps in service and execution hold them back. Don't get me wrong it is a great stay but for French Lick Indiana and the price one might expect excellent service to be impeccable but it falls short. For example, a child threw up in the pool but rather than close the pool and address it the guy said "I think the filter will get it". I mean that's not really the right answer. Also the spa ran out of lockers. I mean for a hotel that wants to be 5 star umm not so much. The shuttle is a good thing but super inefficient. But the hotel is fabulous for a getaway and the casino has live dealers which is awesome. We loved spending time here as it is good but not great. We will definitely be back though. Hopefully they can improve on some of these things in the meantime!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1 mi away
French Lick Springs Hotel
French Lick Springs Hotel
#2 of 5 in French Lick

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!