“Eating Under the Dome”

West Baden Springs Hotel
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We met two other couples for an evening of drinks and dinner. We chose to eat in the Dome near the hotel bar. Both the meal and service was less than average. Three of the people had the steak special, one had fish and chips, and two had Rueben sandwich. The only positive comments were the Rueben. The steaks were not tender, the fish was worst than Long John Silvers and less of it. The French Fries were frozen shoe string and over cooked as were the "homemade chips". The server did not write anything down, was very slow and kept making excuses. He left dirty dishes on the table throughout the complete setting, and we all guessed he had not been trained in the art of serving at what is supposed to be a luxury hotel. Before and after dinner drinks were no better. Slow service, no coster, napkin, or snack. Ordered Bailey's with coffee and he forgot the coffee!!

Room Tip: Go off site to eat.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank barthbc48
Zachary_Wagner, Guest Services Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for visiting the West Baden Springs Hotel. I would like to apologize for the issues that you encountered in Ballard's. This type of service is most definitely not the standard that we normally deliver to our valued guests. I will be discussing this issue with the servers direct manager to ensure that the poor service you experienced does not continue. In the meantime please feel free to contact my office directly at (812) 936-5514 so that I may learn more about your experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just before you arrive at West Baden Springs, you drive through a small town. The town is very pretty and quaint, and gives you the feeling that you are driving through an old western village hundreds of years before you were even born. This prepares you for the sight you see when you pull down the driveway and enter West Baden. It is one of the most beautiful hotels you will ever set your eyes on, and you have only seen the outside. With a half a billion dollars invested into the domed hotel itself, it comes nothing short of taking your breath away. Right away there are people that meet you at the front door, take your entire belongings to your room, and park your car. Everyone is exceptionally kind, and the whole process is very easy and relaxing. To get to your rooms, you walk through the beautiful lobby, and can surely envision yourself spending your entire trip lounging all day on the couches. The food, although a little pricey, was fantastic. Everything is prepared perfectly and just as you please. Of the many things you can do, one of them is underground bowling and pizza at the sister resort, the French Lick. Even though I’m not a fan of bowling, it was a blast! There is a retro style pizzeria connected to the bowling alley, and the pizza is delicious! This makes for an easygoing and fantastic night. For those who love to gamble and play casino games, attached to French Lick is a gorgeous, art filled casino with even more food and fun for the adults. If gambling and relaxing isn’t your cup of tea, then head on over to the Pete Dye golf Course. The famously designed course is by no means “easy”, but it offers a fun and challenging day for everyone. Once you’ve had your fill for the day, you can head on over to the spas. We didn’t do that, but instead went to the giant indoor swimming pool. The pool was perfect in every way, and unlike most pools, there wasn’t too much chlorine that almost always bothers the eyes (Yes, a small point, but it was satisfying). Now the only bed I can sleep in well is my own, so I was not expecting to get a great night sleep, but was pleasantly surprised when I slept through almost the whole night. That being said, the beds were the perfect mix of firm, yet plush. There are so many other activities offered by West Bade/French Lick, but we were on a time constraint and didn’t get to tour everything. Yes, we will be back, and yes, I thoroughly recommend anyone to come and visit West Baden for the weekend. It is the perfect combination of relaxation and exploration for everyone from kids to adults.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NSWeston
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Having never been to this part of the country, this hotel was an absolutely amazing surprise! Driving into the wooded area at night, you'd think you were in the middle of nowhere. Pleasantly greeted by the staff late at night, we cross the amazing atrium to check in. Truly amazing, old wealthy travelers enjoyed this hotel in the early 20th century. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. We enjoyed an enormous chocolate chip cookie served by room service at midnight on a silver tray. Breakfast in the room was another treat as well as a mineral bath in the lovely spa. I could have spent several happy days here!

Room Tip: The hotel welcomes dogs, but gives them rooms facing the countryside, which are delightful. I suppo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was my first time to the area, I was looking for a nice little relaxing getaway and this place more than delivered! We arrived a few days before Thanksgiving and the resort was beautifully decorated for the Christmas season. The atrium is spectacular as is the entire resort. I felt as if I had stepped back into the days of the Titanic :) Our room had an atrium view and comfortable. I enjoyed my time at the indoor pool the water was sparkling clean. The spa was nice, I had a pluto bath which wasn't as warm as I had hoped but from what I was told the water temp depends on the outdoor weather so it comes out cold in the winter & warm in the summer...My only negative comment - the room could be a little cleaner - the curtains/valances were very dusty - but I still give my overall stay 5 stars.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cma d
Reviewed February 2, 2013

West Baden hotel was recommended to us by a friend as a wonderful weekend retreat. I was very impressed with the facility, the dining options and multiple activities you can do with that special someone. With shuttle service to the casino 24 hours a day, its a 5 star vacation that is affordable! Get the three night package, check out the spa, eat the BBQ, swim in the pool and forget about life for a while. I will most certainly be back!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank chazjets
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 36 wedding anniversary at West Baden. It was perfect! Historic grounds romantic pathways, charming porch to sit on rocks and enjoy the viewof the grounds. Our room was luxurious with a balcony over looking the atrium. In house entertainment paino and jazz performers .We enjoyed the pool, and the work out room and our dinner was excellent.Will diffently be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

West Baden Springs Hotel is amazing. This was our second stay and we'll be back. The hotel itself is one of the most amazing structures we've ever been in let alone had the pleasure to stay at. It's an amazing example of living history. You don't need much of an imagination to picture this hotel as a backdrop to the roaring '20's. Do yourself a favor, have a drink at the bar. Eat in the atrium. Don't make plans, just sit there and soak in the incredible restoration. It's a treat!

Room Tip: Choose an atrium view balcony room! The view is amazing!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
22 mi away
SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western Jasper
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!