“the floor slopes”

West Baden Springs Hotel
Ohio
“the floor slopes”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My friend & I just got back from a girls weekend at West Baden. We were very excited to see the resort because of the history. It is truly beautiful. We enjoyed learning about the history & noticing the beautiful elegance from the 1900's. Our main complaints were pretty bad. Some of the front desk staff were not really nice. I feel that they should go out of their way to be nice. The daytime servers at the bar in the dome were very rude. We left & ate lunch at the cafe instead (it was nice). There were many problems with our room but when we finally got into our room the floor sloped. I thought I was loosing my mind. I walked from the window to the door & there truly was a noticeable slope. I spoke to the front desk & was told all of the room as like that because of the old age of the hotel. Are they serious!? Just FYI - our room was on the 5th floor interior. Anyway, I got used to it after awhile. I heard someone say that the rooms on the 2nd floor have very low ceilings. The spa is nothing special at all. I had a massage that seemed to be way shorter than it was supposed to be. I also had a pedicure that was supposed to be a "zents pedicure" with aromatherapy - but the tech forgot about that & so did I until I got to the room. I have been to much better spas. We walked on a trail from West Baden to French Lick - that was nice. We ate dinner at the restaurant at the Donald Ross golf course - it was nice. If you want to go to a destination spa - go somewhere else. If you want to see a beautify restored building - this is for you.

Room Tip: don't stay on 2nd floor
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank travelwriter-3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Worth a detour but lacked energy and attention to details for the price. The floor of our room was slopping and felt like we were on a boat! Was told that all rooms have this settlement issue.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank MrsLauderdale
Indiana
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel itself if beautiful. The restoration is worth seeing and a true southern Indiana gem. The grounds are beautifully manicured, providing the feeling of old-world charm. The upgrade rooms are atrium facing. The view from these inside rooms provides a fantastic view of the atrium, but the noise travels from the floor of the atrium right into the room and we stayed on the fifth floor. The hotel lets itself down on service. The staff were friendly enough, but the service was slow, inaccurate, and several staff members were clearly disinterested in helping customers. Sadly, this was true from the spa to the restaurants to the casino at French Lick. The shuttle drivers were delightful, but the shuttles do not run on any schedule and attempting to get information on the next expected shuttle was a nightmare. The bell staff were especially lacking in customer service on this dimension. The absolute worst part of our stay, however, was the spa. The front desk staff was visibly lacking in energy or enthusiasm and these staff members gave the distinct impression that they couldn't have cared less if we were there or not. Three of us scheduled massages, manicures and pedicures. Only one technician provided the expected level of service, Pat. She was terrific. Setting aside Pat, the other service providers were certainly pleasant, but the quality of the services was so far below expectations. This is not a resort spa. It is more like a cheap strip mall level of service and attention to detail. Our advice...enjoy the hotel and its beauty, but do not expect a resort experience on any level and avoid the spa at all costs.

10 Thank Indiana2012
FrenchLickResort, General Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate opportunities like this to help us fine tune our customer service.

We will certainly review all the areas you mentioned but we would like to personally address your spa comments in particular. We apologize that you did not have the experience that you deserved. As with all of our amenities, the spa strives to offer a world-class experience to every guest. We are disappointed to hear we did not deliver 100% in this case.

The Spa at West Baden is nationally recognized on Conde Nast Traveler’s list of Top Spas and was recently bestowed a World Luxury Spa Award. These types of accolades come directly from guest feedback which, we are happy to say, has been overwhelmingly positive. This experience will allow us to look for even more ways to better serve our guests.

Again, the West Baden Springs Hotel apologizes for your experience and would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 28, 2011

What an amazing place in Indiana. The atrium is breath-taking and room exquisite. Staff is very friendly. Sometimes service can be a bit slow, but it is a resort staffed by locals.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have always wanted to visit and stay at The French Lick Resort. For some reason, my husband and I were booked into West Baden Springs Hotel. Well, let me just say the luck was on our side. This hotel is beautiful and quiet. The architecture is amazizng. We had an outside room overlooking the gardens. It was big, spacious, and CLEAN! The amdnities in the room were extra special. This hotel is very safe. You need your key card to enter the elevators and pool area. We spent our early mornings walking the beautiful grounds and reading in the rocking chairs on the front porch (and checking our e-mail on their computer in the library). Afternoons were spent by the pool and evenings we visited the French Lick Casino. We also got in horseback riding and a visit to the French Lick Winery. (Free wine samples!) The free hotel shuttle leaves the hotel lobby every 15 minutes to take you the French Lick Resort and the Casino. It is less than one mile away and is a easy walk on a paved walkway.The food at the two restaurants were very good, but pricey. If you are traveling with children, I would suggest staying at The French Lick Resort, It is more of a casino type, loud hotel with more activities. One great advantage, besides the beauty, charm, elegange of the West Baden is that as a guest you can use all of the admenities of the French Lick Hotel (swimming pool, etc), but those guests do not have the same privledge to use West Baden Springs Hotel (because of lack of key cards!)

2 Thank SilverLakeOh
Indy
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I took our 13 yo and 11 yo here for a 3 day vacation. All of us were truly amazed by everything this hotel has to offer. We stayed in a room with two queen beds facing the atrium. The room was huge and absolutely beautiful! The bathroom was also large and offered 4 plush robes. Every morning, we received a USA today outside our door. Maids offer a turn down service if you so desire.I can't say enough about the breathtaking architecture, atrium and lobby. They literally take your breath away. We ate breakfast at the Sinclair Cafe which is located in the atrium. The food and service were wonderful. Prices were what you would expect in a nice hotel. We enjoyed a 1 1/2 hour tour of the hotel's
history lead by the Landmark Society. This tour was fascinating. Kids loved the large indoor
pool and parents rested on the plush lounge chairs. Hotel and grounds were immaculate. Bellhops offer free ice cold water outside. West Baden Inn is quieter than the French Lick Resort with less going on. If you are searching for a beautiful hotel offering peace and quiet, this is the place for you. Although we never used the spa, it looked beautiful. We will definitely be back!

1 Thank gigirig
Nashville, TN
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed here for a meeting. My wife and I came a few days early to play golf and celebrate our wedding anniversary. We stayed in a standard room. The room is very well appointed. The bathroom is wonderful. The bed very comfortable with many different pillows to choose from. We did it all here, from walking the grounds (we even snuck into the old bowling alley and snooped around), to playing in the casino, to walking around town, to playing golf (Ross because Dye is too expensive), played tennis in the indoor tennis facility, used bot indoor and outdoor pools and booked a spa day and massages.
Food: Generally very good. The Steak house at the French Lick resort was fabulous. Ask for Leonard for your waiter - he was great. Room service was nice and fast. Everything was convenient and delicious.
Golf: I played the Donald Ross course and the Valley Links. Valley links is a nice course but only 9 holes. I got a lesson from the pro and he was very nice and helpful. He charged me for an hour but spent close to an hour and 45 minutes with me.
Spa: Very nice. We booked a couples massage. My wife had a guy and I had a girl. He was fantastic, mine not so hot. Cannot remember names, however.
Cons: No drink service during the day at the pool! We managed to flag down someone, but I made the very long trip to the closest bar many times to get drinks. Walking into the lobby of the French Lick (the sister hotel), one is struck by two things: Beautiful opulent architecture and gilded walls and SMELLY ASHTRAY ODOR WAFTING FROM THE ADJACENT CASINO! Seriously! They need to invest in a air wall or something because it is really terrible.

All in all a very relaxing trip in a nice resort with nice amenities!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper
Days Inn Jasper
Days Inn Jasper
#2 of 5 in Jasper

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!