“Nice”
Review of Shades State Park

Shades State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Waveland
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very quite and secluded park. Not as large as some of the other state parks, but very nice. Lots of limestone, and close to other theings too.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

One of the best places to go hiking around here. We really enjoy it and we are planning to go back often.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We visited Shades for the first time this week. Fall colors were just coming on, the sun was warm and the air was comfortable.
Several nice trails to hike, two of which used ladders in places to get up and down the ravines.
Silver Cascade Falls is unusual, being convex in shape rather than the usual concave.
Camping is very basic.
Sugar Creek, popular with canoeists in the summer, runs through the park. Inspiration Point overlooks the Creek and gives a great view of the forest beyond. Huge beautiful virgin oak trees stand throughout the park.

1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We live about 20 minutes from SSP and we finally went there for the first time about a month ago. I packed a lunch for me and my kids, 13yr old and 4yr old. We ate by the pond and then went exploring on the trails.

It was really neat and beautiful. We took the trail that lead us down hundreds of steps to the river bed and to the waterfall, I can't remember the name of the waterfall, but we went round the Devil's Punchbowl. The steps were a lot of work, but well worth it.

For $5 and a little bit of gas it was a great and cheap place to spend the day!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Camped here with my kids and had a great time. We camped during the week so it was very quiet. They take great care of this park and we enjoyed our stay. Hiked some trails and had a blast. Need some mountain bike trails here and I would give it 5 stars.

1  Thank Hoosier7189

Been to Shades State Park? Share your experiences!