“Consistency ='s Excellence!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Valparaiso, IN
“Consistency ='s Excellence!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My daughters and I stayed there for over 8 months, after our home sold. What started out as an intended two week stay, evolved into over 8 months. This is the Hotel with Heart. <3 When I initially began calling around and going around to find a safe, clean, and comfortable place for my daughters and I, the people at Marriott went above and beyond expectations to help accommodate us. I will never forget their kindness and concern in helping us.

While living there, again, they all went above and beyond expectations to help us feel "at home". They were wonderful with my children, and encouraged us to enjoy the other common areas of the Hotel, so we wouldn't have to feel confined to our room. Now, we look at the employees there as friends. They succeed at being genuine and hospitable.

The Hotel was exceptionally clean! In all that time, we didn't have any problems. Their housekeeping employees are very thorough and friendly. Their breakfast staff, again, very helpful and friendly. The same goes for the front desk staff and management. They all pay attention to detail, and are quick to offer service.

Our experience was very pleasant, and the people there will always hold a very special place in my heart. <3 What I add in closing to ALL of the employees there....Well Done!

Room Tip: We were actually there prior to to date choices. I just clicked on the last one at the bottom, since...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
pennsylvania
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Seems to be a rather older Marriott not the rooms one would expect for a Courtyard. I got it on Priceline for about the same price as the local Super 8. I've stayed at both and they are about the same. This place is nice because it is smokefree, has a nice little area out front, and the room is clean and more attractive. The windows hold sound well but the walls/connecting doors seem thin because I could here normal conversation in the next room. The room was decent size for two beds. Bathroom size was fine with towel racks. Old tile on floor and shower. Smaller tub/shower. Be careful. The soap can make it slippery and the hand rail gets covered up when the shower curtain is drawn. No where up high to store soap or shampoo. So if you have a bad back/mobility problems it could be difficult. No hand lotion and hand soap bar was cheap. Main complaint was both beds uncomfortable. This is hit and miss in hotels but both of these were well past their prime. The staff here was extremely friendly, probably the best I've seen anywhere and will help you out if you ask. I just didn't feel like changing rooms at 1am.

Room Tip: Priceline. Might be able to get a better room for full price elsewhere. If not full, ask for a roo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ruth H, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write in your feedback about your experience at the Courtyard Valparaiso. I just wanted to say that currently we are in the process of getting some updates in the hotel, including new carpet, new bathroom floor tile and vanities and also we have had all of our bath tubs resurfaced to avoid the slippery feeling from soap. I am also happy to hear that the staff treated you very well and that they were extremely friendly and accomodating. Thank you again for your feedback and hope you will stay with us again during your next trip to Valparaiso.

Plymouth, WI
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel on a recent trip to Indiana. Check in was swift. My room was both quiet and clean. The desk staff was helpful. Room phone did not work soi was concerned about receiving my wake up call and had to iimprovise. There was alot of traffic on the highway directly in front of the hotel and it always seemed like I had to make a left had turn across traffic to get to the hotel. The in room wifi was of good quality and FREE and easy to use. TV was up to date. I have no complaints about my stay at all, but I can't give this hotel the highest rating as there was no WOW factor. Nothing was out of the ordinary nice or unusual. I really wasn't at the hotel much except for sleeping hours so I didn't get to experience the ammenities. It did look like families were enjoying the pool and hot tub during all hours of operation. It was a good place to stay in general.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My family had to attend a family function and decided to Priceline a hotel room in Valparaiso. For $59, we were awarded the Courtyard By Marriott in Valparaiso (online rate was $119). The check-in process was easy and we were off to our room quickly. It was much appreciated since we were pretty tired and checked in around 10pm.

Our room was a king with a sofa sleeper and the space inside of it was adequate. It seemed clean and the bathroom was fine (although I did have to get a plunger for the toilet. No big deal). Prior to checkout the next morning, I noticed a bug crawling across a pillow. Turns out it was a boxelder bug, fairly common in that part of Indiana that has plenty of boxelder trees. again, no big deal in my opinion. The bed was comfortable, although different from the memory foam my wife and I sleep on at home.

One of the highlights of the stay was the $6.95 breakfast buffet. Hot and cold selections that included scrambled eggs, toast, breakfast potatoes, all sorts of juices, breads, cereals and coffee. Talk about a great deal! And for those of you traveling with families, kids 12 and under eat for free at the buffet. Even better.

The hotel itself is a bit dated. It had been a Carleton Lodge for years. It's not in the same style as the new Courtyard hotels that feature flat panel TV's in the lobby, lobby bars, etc. But it does have an indoor/outdoor pool with a nice sized hot tub. There is also a workout room that features about 4-5 machines including an elliptical, treadmill and television.

Bottom line: You can never really go wrong with the Courtyard by Marriott brand. The Valparaiso location is off of Route 30 and 5 minutes from the university. There is plenty of shopping and food choices close by, including the Industrial Revolution restaurant and pub which looked interesting (it's about 1/2 mile west on Route 30). Our $59 Priceline rate made it a great deal. At $119, I would consider it a bit overpriced. With that said, I would not have a problem staying at this location if my travels took me back to Valparaiso.

Room Tip: Try the Industrial Revolution Restaurant 1/2 mile west of the hotel on Route 30. If you want a great...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ruth H, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback about your recent stay here at the Courtyard Valparaiso. I am very sorry to hear about the two issues you experienced in your room while you were here. We have taken steps to address and fix these issues in order to prevent them from reoccurring in the future. I am also very happy to hear that overall you very much enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to taking care of you during your next trip to Valparaiso, IN. Thank you and take care.

grand haven michigan
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This courtyard is not the caliber of most other ones I have stayed in but for this small town its pretty good, they have a decent hot tub and indoor/outdoor pool and the rooms are clean
But if I was going to review this place on staff alone i would give it 4 star. The hotel staff is very friendly, more so than most nicer courtyards. I would imagine its due to the high standards of customer service the manager gives and demands from his employees.They all seem to be enjoying themselves.
the one negative for us was the short pool and hot tub hours. It is right next to the front desk with windows in full view, You would think they would do a 24 hour pool with adults only after 10pm
other than that not much bad to tell

Room Tip: ask for a Jacuzzi tub king room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to send your feedback about your recent stay here at the Courtyard Valparaiso, IN. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and also that the staff treated you very well. In the future, please let us know of any requests you may have with the use of our facilities and we would be happy to work accordingly to accomodate your request. We look forward to taking care of you during your next trip to Valparaiso, IN. Thank you again, take care.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was just ok. Here are the good & bad:

Good:

- Comfortable bed & pillows, which is a huge plus considering the crap you get at some hotels.

- The room in general was clean & comfortable.

- Bathroom was clean & shower was nice, shower head was installed high enough for a tall person.

Bad:
- Outdated, the hotel really needs a renovation, in particular the lobby.

- The breakfast was terrible. I had forgotten that I booked a rate that included breakfast and I wish I would not have. I would NEVER have paid $7 for the crappy breakfast, it was no different than what you usually get for free at other hotels. The "fresh" fruit was all canned fruit, typical white bread and bad pastries. The worst part was the eggs & potatoes were all very cold. We did say something when checking out about the cold food, which they apparently knew about. No offer for reimbursement (I did not ask for it, but nothing was offered). I also think the "waitresses" they have serving coffee & juice were completely unnecessary, I can get my own coffee and save myself the $1 tip when I'm already getting the rest of the food myself.

- No elevator. This is not a big deal for me, I'm perfectly capable of carrying my luggage up a flight of steps but it's just unexpected, you expect hotels to have an elevator.

Room Tip: Skip the breakfast
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso? Share your experiences!