“Ok but not what I would expect from Courtyard”

Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Ok but not what I would expect from Courtyard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was just ok. Here are the good & bad:

Good:

- Comfortable bed & pillows, which is a huge plus considering the crap you get at some hotels.

- The room in general was clean & comfortable.

- Bathroom was clean & shower was nice, shower head was installed high enough for a tall person.

Bad:
- Outdated, the hotel really needs a renovation, in particular the lobby.

- The breakfast was terrible. I had forgotten that I booked a rate that included breakfast and I wish I would not have. I would NEVER have paid $7 for the crappy breakfast, it was no different than what you usually get for free at other hotels. The "fresh" fruit was all canned fruit, typical white bread and bad pastries. The worst part was the eggs & potatoes were all very cold. We did say something when checking out about the cold food, which they apparently knew about. No offer for reimbursement (I did not ask for it, but nothing was offered). I also think the "waitresses" they have serving coffee & juice were completely unnecessary, I can get my own coffee and save myself the $1 tip when I'm already getting the rest of the food myself.

- No elevator. This is not a big deal for me, I'm perfectly capable of carrying my luggage up a flight of steps but it's just unexpected, you expect hotels to have an elevator.

Room Tip: Skip the breakfast
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Attending Valpo U. Homecoming... staff friendly but somewhat apologetic about the lack of an elevator to 2nd floor... buyer must beware if climbing stairs with luggage is an issue. Breakfast is not free but observed a price of $7... king bed was comfortable with nice linens... hotel could be updated some, as price was a bit high, given limitations.

Room Tip: First floor, if stairs are an issue
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Flint, MIchigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We travel to Chesterton every year for the Wizard of Oz festival which is around 10 miles away. This year we booked two nights at the Courtyard and had a great stay. The hotel is conveniently located right off the highway and near restaurants and gas stations. One exit up there are even more food options available. Everyone at this hotel was extremely friendly. They always had a smiling face and were very accommodating to meet any requests. We had a small maintenance issue that had to be addressed in the bathroom, but they were very prompt about getting it fixed. They even had the maintenance manager talk with us directly to ensure that everything was corrected. The beds were comfortable and the room looked recently redone. We would not hesitate to stay here again on a future trip to the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Westfield, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Nice rooms. Clean. Fantastic breakfast...with biscuits and gravy, waffles, fruit and 3 fruit juices. The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful.

The single drawback...making the reservation. I had to call 2 times to get a person that could actually make the reservation and when we went to check in, the room was not reserved. It was quickly resolved and the corrected price was offered.

The pool is super cool...both indoor and outdoor. Sadly, the water temp was very cool.

Starbucks, WalMart, Red Robin and Steak and Shake are all a quick trip away.

Room Tip: We were in room 108...perfect for baseball/softball lovers. The baseball stadium for the local coll...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had a little time to kill so we decided to go to the Indiana dunes.We chose to stay at this hotel for 1 night because it was only 15 miles from the dunes. The place had a lot of positives it was cute it had a pool my kids absolutely loved it was next to the university and on highway 49 which runs into the dunes. Renee was also helpful at check in. But this place was not perfect I killed 4 monster mosquitoes in the room but it is in a rural setting. Second breakfast ended at 9thirty which I never heard of and my 3rd complaint was I went out to the courtyard pool to watch my kids swimming and this couple were letting their 2 =40 pound bulldogs run wild and when they jumped on me she yelled out "Pet them". Overall these were not major problems and the place was inexpensive so you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Soxfan46
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was a lovely hotel. It looks like a cabin in front. The ambiance was awesome. People at the front desk were very very nice. The Beds were so comfortable and the rooms smells nice. Good news for pet lovers. This hotels allows you to bring your pets. There is a lovely indoor/ outdoor pool in the hotel. They have a wonderful breakfast buffet for 6.95 pp and let me say this "delicious" I will like to thank the lovely lady Debbie the cafeteria lady for being an excellent person. The meal was delicious and the hospitalty was incredible. I will be back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were here literally for one night for a function at a friend's house and we didn't want to have to drive back to the city afterwards. Very clean rooms and very friendly staff. The pool looked very nice although we didn't use it. We could hear our neighbors but that seems to my usual experience at most hotels. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso? Share your experiences!