“Something distressing has occurred recently”
Review of BISTRO 157 - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Transit: V Line Downtown Valparaiso
Description: Located in historic downtown Valparaiso, Bistro 157 serves an internationally influenced eclectic menu in an upscale, but casually "hip" ambiance. Chef Nicole trained in France 5 years and brings to your table gourmet cuisine paired with wines from a Wine Spectator Award Winning list.
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Bistro 157 was always, though expensive, hands down, the finest restaurant in Valpo. Old timers and new comers all agreed, as well as visitors from Chicago. But recently, some serious glitches have occurred. In August our party of six waited nearly two hours for our entrees and then one was in error. Granted, the mistake was corrected and a dessert was comped but the delay was ridiculous. We had ordered appetizers and drinks but we were VERY hungry. In September, our party of four took advantage of the 5 for $5.00 menu offered by 5 of the downtown restaurants and ordered from an attractive special menu at 157. Imagine our chagrin when the Kir Royals arrived sans cassis. We sent them back to be properly mixed but, I ask you, shorting on the drinks!!! My, my. Since then several others have commented that something is awry, as if attention is not focused where it should be (and always was in the past).

2  Thank hurdlehouse
There are newer reviews for BISTRO 157

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I can't really argue with the other reviews in this regard: the food is absolutely excellent. In fact, it borders on being "too fancy" for me. It does tend to be crowded. However, it is, by my standards, quite expensive. I've been there about 6 times, all on a corporate tab, and I was sure glad I wasn't paying. My spouse and I have not gone there only because we watch expenses and could go out twice at other places we enjoy for what we would spend at 157 for a single meal. So if you want the best and are willing to really pony up for it - this is your place. If you are a little more value concious - maybe not.

Reviewed February 16, 2009

Having lived in Valparaiso for over 25 years I have frequented every restaurant in town. Without a doubt, this has been and continues to be the best restaurant in town. Most recently, my wife and I visited on Valentine's Day. Despite the restaurant being very busy, the service was spot-on as always. The wine list is excellent as are the featured drinks. All are priced fairly for the quality.
Now to the food. I have never had less than an exceptional meal at 157---this visit was no exception. I chose the Polenta appetizer. The polenta was done perfectly and was accompanied by a wonderful sauce flavored with bacon. My wife chose the lobser bisque and ranked it amoung the best she has had---and she is a lobster bisque afficianado,
For entrees I chose the seared grouper nestled on wasabi mashed and asparagus. The fish was done perfectly and the accompaniments were perfect My wife chose the filet which was done exactly as ordered.
Dessert was no less perfect. My wife selected a bread pudding that was, as she put it, "To die for". I opted for a class of cognac that was a fitting ending to the night.
It has bothered me that 157 is not listed as the top choice in Valpo. Perhaps others want to keep the place to themselves. Good idea for those who appreciate the best food in a great surrounding served efficiently and with class.

1  Thank zrom
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Though we have lived in Valparaiso for over three years now, we never made it to Bistro 157 until recently. Very much worth the wait. The "philly cheese steak" appetizer was not only delicious, but a very generous portion of tender, perfectly grilled filet mignon. I had the goat cheese salad, with slightly warm lightly fried breaded cheese, tart granny smith apples, and greens with a " just sweet enough" dressing. My husband had the ceasar and it was huge and also very good. I was trying to decide between the duck or the bison ribeye, and asked the server his opinion. He said the duck is one of the least ordered entree's so I went with the bison, while my husband had the lamb loin. My bison ribeye was fantastic, it was drenched in butter, which I am not used to, but I cannot even describe how meltingly delicious this made it. Phenomenal.
My husband thought the lamb was good, not great, but I think it was just a poor entree choice when compared to the other options. We took dessert to go, and had chocolate cake and key lime cheesecake. Both were good, not very creative or original, but still good.
I would revisit Bistro 157 in the future based on our recent dinner there. The menu is rather small and limited in choices though so I cannot say we would go there on a very regular basis as I like a little more variety in my entree choices. Overall a very good experiance.