“anniversary at aberdeen”

Ranked #2 of 2 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Dyer, Indiana
“anniversary at aberdeen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

We have been visitors to the Inn at Aberdeen for over 10 years & never tire of returning - This most recent trip was for our anniversary & we are now planning for quarterly return visits at a minimum - The Inn is beautiful, classy, & a great experience from start to finish
p.s. I highly suggest you request Bill's waffles for breakfast when you make your reservation!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pedsrusscott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

My wife and I got married on July 3 and stayed at the Aberdeen Inn for 7 nights. It was a great place to stay for our honeymoon! It was very romantic and cozy. The room was very clean. It had its own bathroom with a jacuzzi tub which was very nice for the honeymoon. The breakfasts were all very delicious and ranged from waffles and french toast to broccoli and cheese quiche and an egg and cheese casserole with bacon on top. Great orange juice, coffee, and wonderful yogurt parfaits each morning. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. There were soft drinks, coffee, cheesecake and other snacks available 24/7 that were great for those late night indulgences. It was a great first week as a married couple and we look forward to going back for as many anniversaries as we can get back for! I would definitely recommend this for a honeymoon or for a quick weekend getaway!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

My husband and I were given a night's stay at the Inn for our anniversary. We loved every minute of it. The room was beautiful, the breakfast was delicious, and the service was superb. My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

For an early Christmas present my husband gave me a much needed "weekend away" because we both work long hours and see each other rarely. The Inn had been recommended to him by friends who had several family gatherings there and were quite pleased. Directions we were given by the Inn Keeper were perfect and we found the Inn with no problems. The place was beautifully decorated and very clean, not just for the beautiful Xmas decor but the room(Balmoral room) was very romantic. We had a dinner romance package and the Inn keeper was very helpful with providing lots of choices for us as well as directions. I felt safer staying at the Inn than I have in some of the larger hotels I've stayed at in Chicago on buisness. The room was clean, fireplace and jacuzzi made for a wonderful weekend getaway. We both enjoyed a "late night snack" of fresh brewed coffee and cheese cake in the sitting room by the lobby area. Breakfast both days were amazing - one was a cheese and egg soufle with maple sausages and the next morning was an apple french toast with warm apple cinnamon sauce(and to die for!) I will deffinatley make return trips to the Inn - thank you for making our weekend special!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Midland, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

I stay at the Inn frequently on business travel, and the staff are always kind and courteous. The rooms are always spacious, clean, and comfortable. It is a very welcomed change from the typical business hotel. Breakfast is generous, healthy, and the servers are pleasant and accomodating. I have read some negative reviews, and I have to wonder what frame of mind the writer was in as I've stayed at the Inn at least a dozen times over the past few years, and I've never experienced ANY of the issues those guests referred to. If you are looking for a nice getaway, I highly recommend the Inn at Aberdeen.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Michigantraveler10
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

We finally got a night away for our anniversary. My husband and I got married at Valparaiso University 7 years ago. We rented out the entire Inn for the weekend for our family and bridal party. Everyone absolutely loved it. The girls and I were able to get ready for the wedding at the Inn while my future husband and groomsmen were hidden downstairs playing cards. We also had our rehearsal dinner there. Great food! We still have friends that talk about how perfect it was to have the whole place to ourselves before and after the wedding.

We decided we wanted to stay there for our anniversary without our 3 kids. We checked in early evening and walked over the Trio's restaurant right across the street (great crab pasta!!!). We walked around the neighborhood (very cute) and enjoyed a quiet evening (with cheesecake dessert from the Inn's snack bar). The breakfast was great and my husband and I enjoyed talking with another couple that stayed at the Inn. After 4 years of not taking a night away from the kids, this was perfect!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Indyphoto_mom
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

Where do I begin. We had a terrible time finding the place, it is not well marked. We arrived after dark, and the innkeeper greeted us. Made us pay up front, which we were suspicious of. Wish we would have read these reviews first! Why didn't I remember about Trip Advisor???
It is right beside a very busy road, and the first thing we noted was the loud road noise. Anyway, the house is beautiful, no need for debate there. Very nice furnishings. Well stocked refreshment area. However, we were shown our room and to be fair, the innkeeper was nice and carried our two suitcases up the tall staircase for us. We got into the room, and the TV remote was not programmed correctly. The local channels were not obtainable, but the satellite channels were. After he messed with it for about 10 minutes, he offered to come back later to reprogram it, and we were tired and declined. We went downstairs for refreshments, and then returned later to our room. Mind you this was getting to be mid-evening, and we were about ready to go to bed after a long day of travelling. As we prepared for bed, we noticed that there was a used q-tip and hair all over the bathroom floor. We were too tired to make a big deal of it and I just cleaned some of it up with paper towels. It just made me wonder if the room was even clean or if there were even fresh sheets on the bed. In the middle of the night, we noticed that the extremely loud handle on the toilet (not the flow of water mind you, but the actual mechanism) was just as loud in the bedroom area as it was in the marble bathroom. So every time one of us had to use the facilities in the night, it awoke the other one.
In the morning, we noted that the carpet was dirty...looked like it had not even been vacuumed. Stains all over the place. We also discovered a satin ribbon that said "David's Bridal" that had come off a dress, we supposed, along with other loose debris all over the carpet. It just left a bad feeling about the general cleanliness, or lack thereof, of our accommodations.
We went down to the breakfast, and we had to eat in the kitchen as the main dining area was set up for some sort of business breakfast. The innkeeper asked if we had slept well, and we told him about the toilet and the uncleanliness of the room. He said that the toilets had to be that way as they were low flow, and that he had hired some 'high-schoolers to clean who were not that interested in working". Tell me, if you thought that about someone in your employ, would you not go behind them and check to see if they had, indeed, cleaned? He apologized but offered no recompense. We felt he could have cared less.
We scurried out of there immediately after breakfast (which by the way, was pretty good) as we were just frustrated by his lack of concern about our less-than-acceptable stay. I've stayed at far less expensive places that had three times the service and cleanliness 100 times better than this overpriced establishment. We felt totally disgusted with our stay. Would not advise staying there at all.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank snooksmama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
#4 of 5 in Chesterton

Been to Inn at Aberdeen? Share your experiences!