“Free sock”

Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were greeted as we stepped up to the counter and thanked for our status with IHG. Check in was done w/o incident.
When we walked into the room we got a free gift...a sock had been left on the floor from a past guest. How does house cleaning miss this?? This un-nerved us, but everything else worked out well. No other house keeping issues.
We were more than happy with the free breakfast. A great bonus for this hotel. Well stocked and seemed very fresh.
Just so you know the beds are very hard and stiff. I would like better beds. Sleep quality was not all that great.
I would have no issues with staying here again....minus the sock thing and the beds

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Margaret L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Our apologies for leaving an article in your room prior to your checking in. We appreciate you bringing that to our attention so it doesn't happen again. We look forward to having you stay with us next time you visit the Valparaiso area.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I almost never contact the front desk of a hotel... but this visit required many phone calls and visits. We more recently book Holiday Inn's because we have two young children under 2 and these hotels have been pretty family friendly and easy for us.This hotel was dirty and poorly managed. Check-in took an unusually long time with staff answering phone calls and continually telling me they'd be with my in a moment. It was a good wait before someone appeared to take another call and then help me. I was given a code for the free wifi that expired the week before it said "valid through 3/23." (We were checking in 3/29). I walked to the front desk to ask if there was a new code and they seemed very annoyed that I'd caught the error. When we got to our room, we were immediately disappointed with the room - it was dirty. There was trash in our trash can (a half eaten McDonalds sandwich and another wrapped leftover). When I went to the front desk (again) - they seemed very annoyed that I was mentioning it. I asked if the room had been cleaned because there was trash in the trash can... she checked and said "yeah, it says it was cleaned". Well... either your cleaning staff disposed of their half eaten sandwich, or they neglected to clean the room. The room above ours was loud all day, and we thought we'd wait and hope it would calm down in the evening. When we returned to our room at 9 at night - the room above ours was even louder. I called the front desk and tried to politely complain - they said they'd take care of it. It got louder. I waited 20 minutes and called again.- the front desk manager told me "I tried calling them and no one answered... so I guess I could go up there when I get a chance." I also inquired about late check out and was told "sure, how about noon?" Noon is the regular check out time... it was labeled on the door... on the internet... on my check in paper! I said "I'm pretty sure noon is the regular check out time," to which she replied "let me check.... [indistinct talking] how about 12:30"... how about no... Somehow I negotiated 1pm, but our night got a lot worse. The noise upstairs continued all night. The walls were paper thin and we could hear every conversation and TV show from our neighbors... we got next to no sleep. When our 2 year old woke up we decided to get the hell out of there. The shower had poor water pressure and the breakfast was cold and regrettable. The staff seemed annoyed that people were staying at the hotel. The pool was almost always without towels (I overhead two different people asking the front desk where the towels were). My 2 year old found trash in our room next to the nightstand and behind the chair and we found a very strange brown lump of something on a pillow we didn't use. We just felt gross and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Room Tip: Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear travelzoe,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed with a baseball team for a tournament weekend. Clean, large hotel. Comfortable rooms. Nice Pool. Continental breakfast, Powdered eggs (bleh) and the pancake machine was broken but there was enough pastry and cereal and sausage and biscuits to suffice. There are plenty of restaurants in the area as well as shopping.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you find items on the breakfast buffet that you enjoyed. We hope that you will come back to visit us again while in the Valparaiso area.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

This Holiday Inn Express is staffed by a great group of people, super friendly and quick to respond to any need or request. Fairly new or newly renovated and squeaky clean. Only issue was the wifi. It was pretty slow and constantly lost connection. If you are just checking email this will be no problem. If wifi is important to you, you may want to inquire if this has been addressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for bringing the wi-fi situation to our attention. We have worked to double the speed of the wi-fi with our current carrier to eliminate future situations. Please come back next time you are in the Valparaiso area, we would love to have you as our guest.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel a few times over the last few years and have always left happy. Nice rooms, welcoming lobby and sitting area, great HOT breakfast, clean pool and hot tub area, overall just a wonderful place to stay. The staff are usually helpful and there are always one or two employees on staff that seem to go out of their way to make your day.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago and just remember it as a run-of-the-mill Holiday Inn Express. This time, however, I was very impressed with the full renovation the hotel has undergone. I would have never guessed that it has been in the IHG portfolio for a long time as they really renovated rooms to the brand standard.

As a platinum guest, I was upgraded to a great suite which was greatly appreciated. The staff was consistently friendly and were very willing to grant a late checkout to me.

This is definitely one of the nicest hotels in the Porter County area!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Margaret L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you so much for the generous compliment! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to the Valparaiso area. Your feedback means a lot to us!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you are using Siri to find it, make sure you are heading South, not North as Siri directs you. It looks like it's down a dead end road, but it curves around.
The accommodations are standard--as with all HIE. Nice decor, fairly new hotel. Thin walls though. Not sure if it was just my room, but I got woken up at 5:00am by the next door neighbor's 'morning wake up' call from the front desk. It was so loud, I thought it was my own phone. I could hear the guy next door coughing, as if he was in the same room.
Nice place, nice price, but if you like it really quiet --ask for a room with nobody around it.

Excellent location if traveling via freeway, or to Kouts

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't near anyone. thin walls
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear sasha a,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to hear that you liked our excellent hotel location and facilities. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am very sorry about the noise and quality of comfort you experienced in your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Valparaiso, IN
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
#4 of 5 in Chesterton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso? Share your experiences!