“Cupcake Heaven”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Valparaiso
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Cupcake Heaven”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I've been to this place twice with my mom and sister, and each of us picked out two cupcakes each time. I usually wolf down both of mine, and of course I can't go without getting at least a little taste of each of theirs. Out of the twelve that I've tasted so far (red velvet, cotton candy, caramel apple pie, smores, chocolate chip, cookie dough, orange dreamsicle, cookies n cream, malt shop special, flying monkey, neapolitan, and simply vanilla), I honestly have no complaints about anything! The shop is adorable, as well as the cupcakes, and personally I believe they taste just as great. Worth every calorie.

Chicago
“just so so”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

their focus is on making cakes that are pretty but not necessarily tasty. I was unimpressed by the taste. If you need a pretty cake, I am sure they will do a good job. If you want one with flavor, too, they're not the place.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank travellingangie
Valparaiso, Indiana
“cupcake”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Heaven, need I say more. My very favorites are the double chocolate mousse and the cannolli. There is absolutely nothing that I don't like about these cupcakes. Even if they are in your frig for 2 days, they still taste fresh.

Visited June 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Beautiful cupcakes but only one out of six tasted as good as it looked”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stopped by here before leaving Valparaiso on a business tripped based upon a glowing recommendation from a colleague. It was right at opening (which happened about 15 minutes after the time posted on the door). I was immediately blown away by how beautiful the cupcakes were and how large the selection.

Cupcakes are my vice. Anytime I come across a cupcake shop during my travels I pick up a selection to bring home for a tasting with my extended family. For this trip I selected 6 different cupcakes and headed home.

Out of the 6 - 4 of them were just ok. The cake part was decent and although the icing tasted fine there was just way too much of it. One of them (the dark chocolate salted caramel) was good. I liked the creamy caramel, ganache and sea salt. I probably would have loved it had I eaten it immediately rather than after several hours of driving. The one cupcake that just blew my mind was the White Russian. One of my favorite cupcakes I've come across. Next time I'm in Valparaiso ill just order 6 of these to bring home.

All in all its worth a stop but don't expect all the cupcakes to taste as good as they look.

2 Thank RabidVacationer
Portage, Indiana
“So many love it, but I'm always disappointed.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I *love* cupcakes. Love them.

Designer Desserts is, in my opinion, very underwhelming.

Presentation is impeccable. They always look amazing.

Taste on the other hand is always a mixed bag. I think the main problem is I can't stand dry cupcakes. From the plain vanilla to the rootbeer to the Mocha... The flavors aren't bad it's just they are always going for wow and completely forgetting the basics of a delicious cupcake foundation.

My wife and daughters like them enough that I don't have to make the trip into Chicago when it isn't convenient but it's sad that there is so much wasted potential.

Get back to basics first, then go for the wow.

*I'd like to comment on others who say there tables and chairs are always dirty. That does concern me, if the back is as dirty and nasty as those tables and chairs usually are... I'm not sure how they pass health inspections.

Common guys, there is potential in the shop, turn it around.

1 Thank MolonLabe1776